1991 A604 trans fluid change

Old July 7th 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
billccm

Default 1991 A604 trans fluid change

Hello All:

The local Mom and Pop transmission shop that I used for years has
changed hands, and I am not comfortable with the new owners (I think
they might have sabotaged my wife's Impala on my last visit, but I'll
spare you the details).

Anyhow, I have been calling around town, and I cannot find a shop that
is willing to do just a transmission fluid change. They all insist on a
fluid flush. From what I was told by my trusty old trans shop, fluid
flushes can do mare harm than good. Also, some shops think the old A604
can use DEXRON fluid, which scares me.

So, I am thinking about tackling this job myself. I do all of my own
oil changes and other simple maintenance, etc, so maybe I can do the
trans fluid change, too?

I have a few questions:

1) I have read that some trans filters come with a cork gasket that is
sure to leak, other filters have a synthetic rubber gasket that seems
to work well, and some come with a tube of silicone rubber sealer.
Anyone know what to get?

2) I will buy my fluid from MOPAR at the dealer; how many quarts?
Should I get the filter there, also?

3) Any procedures you can recommend?

Thanks for any help, and have a nice day, Bill

Old July 7th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

billccm wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> The local Mom and Pop transmission shop that I used for years has
> changed hands, and I am not comfortable with the new owners (I think
> they might have sabotaged my wife's Impala on my last visit, but I'll
> spare you the details).
>
> Anyhow, I have been calling around town, and I cannot find a shop that
> is willing to do just a transmission fluid change. They all insist on a
> fluid flush. From what I was told by my trusty old trans shop, fluid
> flushes can do mare harm than good. Also, some shops think the old A604
> can use DEXRON fluid, which scares me.
>
> So, I am thinking about tackling this job myself. I do all of my own
> oil changes and other simple maintenance, etc, so maybe I can do the
> trans fluid change, too?
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> 1) I have read that some trans filters come with a cork gasket that is
> sure to leak, other filters have a synthetic rubber gasket that seems
> to work well, and some come with a tube of silicone rubber sealer.
> Anyone know what to get?
>
> 2) I will buy my fluid from MOPAR at the dealer; how many quarts?
> Should I get the filter there, also?
>
> 3) Any procedures you can recommend?
>
> Thanks for any help, and have a nice day, Bill

It should be a task that you can handle yourself. I would recommend
going to the dealer and purchasing the *reusable gasket* and a filter.
The fluid can be purchased at most auto parts stores. I have seen it
sold under the names of Quaker State and Valvoline. So long as it says
ATF3+ and/or type 7176 the fluid should be fine.I paid about $2.50 a
quart the last time I bought it.

-KM

Old July 7th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Knifeblade_03[_9_]

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1990/Repair/a604.htm

I don't vouch for the content, but Google can be your friend, LOL.

--
Knifeblade_03
Knifeblade_03's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=262826

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old July 7th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

here it is again,
i haven't hear much about the reason, but why Dex is scary? i used it
on my 2001 nissan and on my 1993 passat, my Caravan 1989 3.0 auto+OD
says on the dipstick to use Dextron.
You guys seem to know about this, can you explain why it is not good
for Caravan trans? what is going to happen if i use it, someone on this
group said it will damage the trans in a few months, many times i saw
here ppl stay away from Dex and choose ATF+3.
what is going on?

thanks

Old July 7th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
billccm

It was explained to me that type 7176 was 'intoduced by Chrysler' as a
requirement for the A604 transaxles. This fluid is a 'semi-synthetic',
high temp formulation. As I have heard, since type 7176 was a 'Chrysler
only' fluid for several years, they placed "use Dexron" on the dip
stick as a temporary measure in case you needed to add fluid 'in the
field'. It was not intended to be used for fluid changes. Severl
transmission shops insist that Dexron is the correct fluid for the
A604, hence doing this job myself.

Old July 7th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

thanks for the info
i have to check if mine has a A604, i saw in allpar.com web site the
explanation, same thing you are saying.
shoot, and i filled mine just recently with Dex3.
bummer

Old July 7th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MT-2500[_1_]

billccm Wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> The local Mom and Pop transmission shop that I used for years has
> changed hands, and I am not comfortable with the new owners (I think
> they might have sabotaged my wife's Impala on my last visit, but I'll
> spare you the details).
>
> Anyhow, I have been calling around town, and I cannot find a shop that
> is willing to do just a transmission fluid change. They all insist on
> fluid flush. From what I was told by my trusty old trans shop, fluid
> flushes can do mare harm than good. Also, some shops think the old
> A604
> can use DEXRON fluid, which scares me.
>
> So, I am thinking about tackling this job myself. I do all of my own
> oil changes and other simple maintenance, etc, so maybe I can do the
> trans fluid change, too?
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> 1) I have read that some trans filters come with a cork gasket that is
> sure to leak, other filters have a synthetic rubber gasket that seems
> to work well, and some come with a tube of silicone rubber sealer.
> Anyone know what to get?
>
> 2) I will buy my fluid from MOPAR at the dealer; how many quarts?
> Should I get the filter there, also?
>
> 3) Any procedures you can recommend?
>
> Thanks for any help, and have a nice day, Bill

Kmathenson had some good info on the reusable pan gasket and fluid.

The problem with quick lubes they have gone flush crazy.
And some even do not even change the filter just flush away and use the
same type of fluid out of the same barell for everything.

Newer cars and newer transmisssions take special transmission fluid and
different fluid change procedures.
Check your dip stick and owners manual first.
And a note on cry transmissions most but not all have gone to or cry
recommends changing them over to the ATX+4 cry transmission fluid.
I did it on my own 98 town and country and could tell a difference in
the shifting for the good.
Check with the dealer to be sure what ones need it.
One a 91 I see no special reason to change it over to ATX+4.
Just a filter and fluid change will do it cry 7176 or a good ATX+3
Good luck MT

--
MT-2500
MT-2500's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=382930

Old July 8th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
ron

Bill,Just in case you have 100,000 miles or more on your A604 it's
better NOT to change the fluid anymore. To do so will only hasten it's
inevitable failure. I was told that by every trans tech I've ever
known.Ron

Old July 9th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
billccm

I have changed my transmission fluid every 30K miles since I bought the
car new (almost 16 years ago). This will be it's third trans fluid
change (90K miles), and the trans, which is nicknamed "a-sick-oh-four"
due to it's problems, has been trouble free, so far. I am not sure if
30K fluid changes has contributed to my trouble free experience, but I
will continue.

I understand what you are saying about causing failure after a trans
fluid change; I think these 'flushes' cause some harm. The way it has
been explained to me, unless you can flush twice with two new trans
filters, the flush does not make a "100%" fluid exchange, and the flush
itself spreads some debris past the filter, etc.

Thanks for the advice, take care, Bill

1991 Explorer Trans mike Ford Explorer 0 December 5th 05 07:14 PM
"Power Steering Fluid" & Auto Trans Fluid - Interchangeable? maxpower Chrysler 2 October 11th 04 12:04 PM
Transmission fluid avalibility Alan W. Blackmon Dodge 14 July 10th 04 06:17 AM