New Mexi-longblock won't idle

Old July 6th 05, 12:29 AM
Eric

Default New Mexi-longblock won't idle

My friends...can't get her to idle. I don't believe there are any vacuum
leaks.....any way to check the carb. Could it be electrical? Any odd stuff
I could check? Eric 68 Bug vert, a 62 KG vert too...

Old July 6th 05, 12:46 AM
P.J. Berg

Eric wrote:
> My friends...can't get her to idle. I don't believe there are any vacuum
> leaks.....any way to check the carb. Could it be electrical? Any odd stuff
> I could check? Eric 68 Bug vert, a 62 KG vert too...

You need to have the following under control:

Valve lash.
Ignition timing.
Points gap if applicable.
HT leads connected in the right sequence.
Basic adjustment of the carb must be "in the ballpark".
If this is a D.P. engine, check the rubber seals on the intake manifold.

When you have verified this we could try to help you further on the
diagnosing of your problem.

P.J.Berg.
Old July 6th 05, 01:31 AM
Eric

Thanks PJ will sart the list tomorrow. Is there a start setting for the
mixture screw? Volume screw says 2 and 1/2 to 3 turns open. Its a 34Pict 3

Old July 6th 05, 07:00 PM
Hal

> My friends...can't get her to idle. I don't believe there are any vacuum
> leaks.....any way to check the carb. Could it be electrical? Any odd stuff
> I could check? Eric 68 Bug vert, a 62 KG vert too...

Make sure you hooked the idle solenoid and choke element up to the
ignition coil. It sounds like the solenoid is not pulling open and that
will keep it from idling. If you have any doubt about the functionality
of the solenoid, turn the ignition switch on but do not try to start
the engine. Removing the wire from the solenoid and touching it to the
terminal should give you an audible click each time contact is made.

Chris

Old July 6th 05, 08:05 PM
Eric

Chris ..thanks..idle solenoid is functional as is the choke element.....keep
going if you can.......
oups.com...

Old July 7th 05, 05:17 PM
Hal

"Chris ..thanks..idle solenoid is functional as is the choke
element.....keep
going if you can."

Is this a new carburetor by any chance? Pierburg shipped some
carburetors recently with such a sloppy fit around the throttle shaft
that they would not idle. If that is not the case, then I would get it
running and hold the throttle open enough to keep it going and then
give it the carb-cleaner test around the intake manifold end castings,
the boots, and the ends of the carburetor shaft. If you see a
noticeable change in performance then you have an air leak.

Still no luck? I'd back both the mixture screw and the bypass screw out
about 2 turns and see if it will keep running that way. When it dies
are you seeing any black smoke to indicate it might be loading up? How
is your ignition timing? Does it act like it is misfiring when it does
run?

Chris