Hey Leon!

Old March 19th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Hey Leon!

" > wrote:

>Wow, Leon. I am impressed! She sounds wonderful. I am very happy for
>you, indeed! NO spare tire, huh? A lot of cars are going that way.
>Right now, besided my '90 Miata, I have a 2004 WHITE Chrysler
>Crossfire..........NO spare tire, no runflats. I drive very carefully,
>avoiding pot holes, etc. Keep up posted! Send me some pictures of it
>too, Leon. My email address should show on my posts!
>
>Nice to be here again. Glad to see you are still around! Have a
>LOT of fun with your yet nameless Miata.....Bozo, the Second?

There is only one Bozo. And this feels more like a girl; definitely
requires a soft hand, (especially compared to Bozo, who has his power
steering removed,) and a firm foot on the brake (ABS, you know.)

Leon

> LOL
>
>~Cissy

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old March 19th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Ken Lyons" > wrote:

>"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote
>> Need to get an ashtray for the passenger side bottle holder.

>Is this your European origin showing? I didn't think *anyone* living in the
>U.S. smoked anymore.

Actually, a lot of women do.

> I sent my Miata ashtray to Denmark. Remember Per
>Nielsen?

Good old Per. He disappeared on us.

Leon

Old March 19th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

After driving a gorgeous sunny day along the coast and through the forests
of the panhandle, the NC clearly has the feeling of the NA. (I do not
have experience with the NB, so I cannot compare.)

A big improvement is the acoustics; I have absolutely no difficulty hearing
the radio at 80 mph top-down, at which time Bozo is at the stage of "is that
the Stones or Martha & the Vandelas?" Part of the reason might be the big
speaker in the dash; it seems to me the windshield provides a great
path for the sound waves to reach you. Good thinking Mazda. But there are
also big speakers and tweeters in the doors, and fair-size speakers between
the headrests. It sounds like they are nowadays correctly wired.

There is apparently also some speed/volume compensation scheme, but I have
no details. In any case, the audio volume at speed is clearly lower than I
have it in Bozo. I think the car is quieter and the acoustics are better.

With side-windows up, or at least the passenger window up, (I like my elbow
on the window sill,) the little windstop works incredibly well for something
that is only two inches tall. I cannot say how that would work out for you
if you are more than my 5'7", but I am sure that it will be reduced. Serves
you right for following a life-style of good nutrition and no smoking.

The doors *do not* automatically lock, fortunately.

The gap between 3 and 4 seems rather wide? What's up?

You *do not* have to disable the remote trunk release by taking out the
cable; you can just press a button. But this button seems subject
to the cargo resetting it. Aftermarket, please take note.

I *must* get a spherical shift knob, not this "handle" sort of thing.
I also need a license plate frame. Knobmeister, here I come. The one
thing that is bothering me, however, is what to put on the license
frame. "The only thing better than a white Miata is two white Miatas"
is god but too long. "Photon Drive?"

Leon
Old March 19th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Again, Leon, great post. I almost felt I was in the passenger seat with
ya

~Cissy
'90 Crystal White
17 years old this coming July 10.

Old March 19th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 02:53:40 GMT,
(Leon van Dommelen) wrote:

>Need to get an ashtray for the passenger side bottle holder.

Wal-Mart....around $3...Butt Buckets...almost if not a perfect fit.

Old March 19th 06, 07:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

That's about the same RPM we get at 60 on the NB's with a 5th gear change.

"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
> "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
>
> >Congrats! You make some good points, the color changes the look

measurably.
> >I stopped and looked at the Copper Red for the first time in person and

it's
> >as fabulous as it is in the pictures and I believe will look like a
> >different color on days of differing sunlight conditions. Also, the

quality
> >look / feel of the fabric top really was obvious on the ones I've seen,
> >especially the brown color.

> Ah yes. "My" cat was waiting for my return with eagerness, apparently
> ready for another nap on a soft bed. So I put Bozo's cover on the new
> one.
>
> >I wish Mazda would get a clue and make 6th gear a tall cruising gear for
> >those occasionally necessary highway miles, why not get better highway
> >mileage?

> Actually, it does seem taller than my 5th. I am doing 3,000 rpm at
> 60 mph in 6th. I do not do that in Bozo.
>
> Leon
>
> >Enjoy,
> >Chris
> >99BBB
> >
> >"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >> I sure did, and it looks really gorgeous. I picked it up about two
> >> hours ago. (Would have picked it up two weeks ago but there were
> >> issues with the Sirius option. Apparently the Bose and Sirius do not
> >> work together unless you order new Sirius units and then new Bose units
> >> that are on backorder for months, etc, etc. I finally gave the dealer
> >> and myself a break and dropped it from my order. It might have been
> >> nice on my long trips, but not worth the hassle on top of the $430 list
> >> price. Anyway, if the 6 disk changer does indeed read MP3s as it is
> >> supposed to, I do not need to deal with Sirius' music selections.)
> >>
> >> Since you want to know, yes white is the ideal Miata color and that is
> >> especially true for the 2006, IMHO. The brighter colors, in particular
> >> white, though also red, make the somewhat angular contours less
> >> pronounced. Stay away from gray unless you like pronounced contours.
> >>
> >> In addition, physics has not changed in 2006, so white remains the
> >> fastest color.
> >>
> >> Some other first impressions, after about 30 miles, at random:
> >>
> >> Overall, I really believe I did good waiting for the 2006. Though
> >> I did give some consideration to the Mazdaspeeds, which are also
> >> quite good looking and powerful. But I think I prefer the bigger
> >> engine and new looks.
> >>
> >> YES, there is a keyhole light. Never needed one myself, but it seems
> >> to be a big thing. There are a lot of small touches like that.
> >>
> >> The engine revs really beautifully. I am still in break in, so
> >> not pushing it, but I really believe the car has enough power that
> >> I might forgo going the SC route, with all its hassles.
> >>
> >> In a glance over your shoulders, the rear view is much more restricted
> >> by the higher rear bulkhead (?). Of course, I am 5'7".
> >>
> >> I never thought much of the adjustable steering wheel, but I was wrong.
> >> It is really nice to be able to lower it to the "right" height.
> >>
> >> No spare tire??? They put in a tire patch set and a compressor

instead.

> >> I will be going to Sears as soon as I can to get copies of the keys

made.
> >> The keys come in 6x4x4' "remote door opener" coffins, and to fit one

plus
> >> a spare in your pocket strains the fabric. Why do convertible sports

cars
> >> need remote door openers? Fortunately, I found that plain copies will
> >> open everything perfectly without straining your pocket and running out
> >> of batteries.
> >>
> >> Which reminds me, I was trying to open the trunk to get my bottle of

wine
> >> out, and it would not open. I checked that I pressed the right button,
> >> and that I pressed it long enough; I directed the IR beam directly at

the
> >> car, etcetera. Only when I get ready to mechanically open the trunk
> >> actually using the key did it penetrate to me that I was standing

before
> >> the
> >> wrong white Miata! The new, still nameless Miata had been standing a

few
> >> yards behind me during all these proceedings with its trunk already
> >> raised.
> >> This clearly proves that mechanically opening doors and trunks is

superior
> >> to gadgets.
> >>
> >> The cloth top is *very* nice. And NO MORE BOOTHS TO PUT ON!!! )
> >>
> >> Mazda made a psychological mistake giving the speedo a range from 0 to
> >> the speed of light. I am constantly thinking "How do you mean I am
> >> going too fast? I am still right at the very bottom of the scale,

right?"

Old March 19th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Leon van Dommelen wrote:

> I *must* get a spherical shift knob, not this "handle" sort of thing.
> I also need a license plate frame. Knobmeister, here I come. The one
> thing that is bothering me, however, is what to put on the license
> frame. "The only thing better than a white Miata is two white Miatas"
> is god but too long. "Photon Drive?"

"My Other Car is A Miata"?
Old March 19th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

The one
> thing that is bothering me, however, is what to put on the license
> frame. "The only thing better than a white Miata is two white Miatas"
> is god but too long. "Photon Drive?"

"Whiter Shade of Pale"....................maybe not

Old March 20th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Remove This" > wrote:

>"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
.. .
>> " > wrote:
>> Anyway, if the 6 disk changer does indeed read MP3s as it is
>> supposed to, I do not need to deal with Sirius' music selections.)

>Please let me know the outcome of the MP3 issue...thanx

It reads my home-made MP3 CDs just fine. I encoded them at 320 VBR,
IIRC, and 320 is also the maximum the player will do. (I was not happy
with MP3s encoded at 160 when I tried encoding them like that for my
Nomad Zen, so everything I have is at 320.) It will play in file
order or in random order, but not play lists. It will display either
singer or title of the playing song, (or both, if the names are short
enough.)

If you are thinking about Sirius, a word to the wise. The Mazda Service
Manager "could not believe the amount of stuff they had to remove to
install the thing." When they ordered a replacement unit to try, they
just left everything open not to have to go through that again.

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)

Leon shows off the 'other side' of his brain Chris D'Agnolo Mazda 5 October 16th 05 11:18 PM
Alfasud-Seat Leon Bert Kanters Alfa Romeo 6 July 25th 05 07:40 PM
best tyres on front or rear? miata Mazda 20 April 15th 05 12:48 AM
Automatic Miatas gixer Mazda 30 February 23rd 05 04:15 AM
2005 douwe Mazda 3 January 4th 05 03:06 AM