coolant leak

Old April 2nd 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default coolant leak

After I shut down my 96 jeep cherokee V8 a pretty good leak of
antifreze was dripping on the ground. I traced the leak to an area that
is very hard to see. I cleaned the area and blew it off with some air.
It seem to be comming from up above and behind the water pump. The
water pump was replaced about two or three years ago. The leak appears
to be comming closer to the engine side. Is there two bolt on
housings, the pump and a spacer block? It defenitly dose not seem to
be the pump. I am afraid it seems to be between the housing and the
engine block. It is very hard to see in there. I was wondering about a
freeze plug in that area.

Old April 2nd 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

I would be suspecting the pump seal first. I would try to get a finger
up behind the pump pulley to see if it is wet in there. If so, the
'new' pump has died. You have to watch pumps. The sell 'rebuilt' ones
that don't last long.

If it is leaking at it's base gasket, it can be removed and you can
scrape it clean then use sensor safe RTV to make a new gasket for it.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 2nd 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

It seem to be comming from up above and behind the water pump but below
the thermstat housing.

combined sensor? SC2: "post update" DannyB20 Saturn 3 September 11th 05 01:23 PM
Coolant Leak. On & Off Richard Ford Mustang 3 August 8th 05 03:57 PM
Jeep Cherokee Coolant Leak Ankors 4x4 4 January 23rd 05 07:06 PM
Jeep Cherokee Coolant Leak Ankors Chrysler 1 January 23rd 05 07:01 PM