A complete Newbie needs help

Old May 30th 05, 08:44 PM
Joey Tribiani

"tricky" > wrote in message

> Joey Tribiani wrote:
>
>> there's not a manufacturer out there that suggest you let a cold engine
>> idle to "warm up"...for good reason...most "wear" occurs in cold
>> engines....

> Funny you should say that ! Thats what I thought too.
>
> I Just bought a Sazuki JLX for my wife. Browsing though the owners manual
> I was MOST surprised to read - they recommend warming the engine for a few
> minutes before driving off ! I can't get my head around that one !
>
> Rich

truely is odd...normal recommendation is to start engine and only idle for
about 30 or less...just enough time to get the vital fluids
circulating..then drive off, but drive easily....driving heats the internals
evenly and quickly whereas idling does not....not that anyone actually
follows the manual especially when its ass cold outside...LOL

Old May 30th 05, 11:28 PM
ilambert

The engine is going to warm up if you let it idle chokeless,drive
immeddiatly or let it come to tempbefore moving.I just have alway let any
motor(car,boat,bike,tool)warm a bit before use.Mechanical karma I guess.As
for manufacturors suggestions,remember these are the people that want to
sell you a new whatever,so if you choose to drive away with the choke
on,loading the motor while washing down the cylinders with raw gas,have at
it.The wear on a cold motor will happen either way.A pre-luber is one
answer.

Old May 31st 05, 03:03 AM
Joey Tribiani

"ilambert" > wrote in message
> The engine is going to warm up if you let it idle chokeless,drive
> immeddiatly or let it come to tempbefore moving.I just have alway let any
> motor(car,boat,bike,tool)warm a bit before use.Mechanical karma I guess.As
> for manufacturors suggestions,remember these are the people that want to
> sell you a new whatever,so if you choose to drive away with the choke
> on,loading the motor while washing down the cylinders with raw gas,have at
> it.The wear on a cold motor will happen either way.A pre-luber is one
> answer.

pre luber only helps with "dry" starts...period...doesn't compensate for
wear that happens when the engine isn't running within its designed
parameters, as far as tollerances....such as when cold...th engine may
eventually come up to temp at idle, but it sure won't be quick or
even....let your aircooler run at idle and watch your guages....you can see
exactly *how* long it takes to come up to temp....had this discussion on
thesamba awhile back.....my car idled in my driveway for twenty minutes and
the thermostat never opened more than halfway....can't see how you could
even consider that "warmed up"...but to each his own...as far as driving
away with the choke on and "washing" the cylinders it won't happen...if you
"load" the *engine* as you describe the choke opens up, as it is designed to
do....but as i have said to people before, don't take my word for it....pop
off your aircleaner and check it out for yourself....even in the dead of
winter a healthy choke element will open very quickly when adjusted
properly....the factory recommendations you dismiss are not some alterior
motive to get your money for failed parts....do you wear a tinfoil beanie
and paint your windows so no one can watch you? or just another armchair
mechanic?

Old May 31st 05, 05:23 AM
Busahaulic

**UP HERE** (Another damned top poster!)
With the quad CHT gauge it was really interesting to watch the differences
between the individual cylinders as they heated up. I got #3 to behave
pretty much the same as #1 by honing it to a looser piston fit. Before that,
#3 was always 50° warmer than #1. #2 & #4 were always a bit cooler than 1&3
until the engine was put under a hard load. The four CHT gauge needles would
fall into line and behave in perfect unison to the top of the hill, then
when the load was gone, they'd go back to doing their own thing.

WTH does this have to do with the thread? Nothing, I guess, but I'm gettin'
on in years and most any comment can trigger one of my stories! - BaH

Old May 31st 05, 01:23 PM
ilambert

J.T.,chill out.Ya,that did sound rather paranoid,but it's only my opinion
based only on my own experience and feelings.Your beanie cracks are way out
of line.Armchair mechanic?wrong,but you are the "expert"so I won't waste
time argueing the point (which is rather pointless anyway).

Old May 31st 05, 01:28 PM
ilambert

Thanks for the input BusH.I for one like other viewpoints .Was this on a pre
doghouse motor?A "corrected"dizzy?

Old May 31st 05, 02:19 PM
Joey Tribiani

"ilambert" > wrote in message
> J.T.,chill out.Ya,that did sound rather paranoid,but it's only my opinion
> based only on my own experience and feelings.Your beanie cracks are way
> out of line.Armchair mechanic?wrong,but you are the "expert"so I won't
> waste time argueing the point (which is rather pointless anyway).

**** off pondscum...we seemed to be having a sensible discussion till you
got your feelings hurt because i don't agree with you...nor does most of the
world....and yes it does see you are quite the armchair mechanic....now
before i forget, **** off....

Old May 31st 05, 02:45 PM
johnboy

> "ilambert" > wrote in message
>> J.T.,chill out.Ya,that did sound rather paranoid,but it's only my opinion
>> based only on my own experience and feelings.Your beanie cracks are way
>> out of line.Armchair mechanic?wrong,but you are the "expert"so I won't
>> waste time argueing the point (which is rather pointless anyway).

> **** off pondscum... [...]

*sigh*, i've been replaced

Old May 31st 05, 02:51 PM
Joey Tribiani

"johnboy" > wrote in message

> *sigh*, i've been replaced

John, John, John....i know you are a little under the weather now, and
probably need a pick-me-up, so you feel free to **** off too...okay? LOL

Old May 31st 05, 11:25 PM
Tim Rogers

> John, John, John....i know you are a little under the weather now, and
> probably need a pick-me-up, so you feel free to **** off too...okay? LOL

............What about me? It's been a long time since you've told me to ****
off.

timmy