C-4 removable tops both and frame flex question

Old July 16th 06, 06:01 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Wade Herod

Default C-4 removable tops both and frame flex question

Don't know maybe this has been covered. Someone just recently said that the
removable top adds regiddity to the frame. My question. As I drive almost
exclusively with the tinted top, which is lighter and thinner therefore not
as strong as the solid top, does my frame flex more with that top than the
solid top? I would think that flexing, besides being a detriment to
handling, also speeds up the damage to the frame. After all they retire
commercial jets due to wearing out of the structural members etc.

Should I put the solid top back on?

Thanks for your thoughts, Wade in NW Florida

Old July 16th 06, 03:25 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I

It flexes when you have the top OUT, you still have the top frame bolted
in place. Commercial jets are aluminum, which will crack after repeated
flexing, sometimes catastrophically. You have a steel frame, on the
other hand the C6 ZO6 has an aluminum frame so you are unlikely to see
an engineer condone removing it's top with an after market chop job.

Old July 18th 06, 11:34 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Wade Herod

It was just a thought. I didn't seriously believe that the frame would fall
apart. I have more concern with where I have to drive to get to the highway
than frame flex would contribute to failure. I have to drive a quarter mile
on a dirt road to get to the highway. And when it gets washboardy I end up
going about 3 miles an hour till I'm through the 50 yards or so of
washboard. Its about time they grade again anyway. . But the pluses
outway the negatives. I have about a 3 mile flat straightaway just over the
hill from my farm to let the vette feel its legs. And its not too
patrolled.

Thanks to all
Wade in NW Florida

ups.com...