Engine wiring Acura 1.6EL, US Civic EX (D16Y8) diffs betw 1997 and 1998

Old March 9th 05, 06:12 PM
M5

Default Engine wiring Acura 1.6EL, US Civic EX (D16Y8) diffs betw 1997 and 1998

My 1997 Acura 1.6EL died at 119,000 km after the crankshaft bearings
disintegrated. No, I didn't neglect the oil changes - somehow a leak
developed where oil was consumed (without dropping on the ground) and
antifreeze got in, corroding the bearings. At least, that's the guess
of my mechanic.

This car has the D16Y8 engine also found in the 96-00 US Civic EX
sedans. It lived it's life in Toronto, Ontario.

I needed to make the car serviceable again, so I found a 1998 1.6EL
engine at a scrapyard. My mechanic has installed it, except for one
wire that has a different connector to the one on the intake manifold.

He says the car starts, but idles at 1500 instead of 800, and runs
rough.

1) Does anyone have any knowledge about differences between these two
model years that will help complete the installation? Maybe wiring
diagrams, or any other differences so that we can avoid any gotchas?
(don't want the kids to be in danger). Any experience with this
problem?

2) There was significant black at the exhaust due to oil consumption.
Do I need to replace muffler, catalytic converter, pipes also?

Old March 9th 05, 06:51 PM
Michael Pardee

<M5> wrote in message news
> My 1997 Acura 1.6EL died at 119,000 km after the crankshaft bearings
> disintegrated. No, I didn't neglect the oil changes - somehow a leak
> developed where oil was consumed (without dropping on the ground) and
> antifreeze got in, corroding the bearings. At least, that's the guess
> of my mechanic.
>
> This car has the D16Y8 engine also found in the 96-00 US Civic EX
> sedans. It lived it's life in Toronto, Ontario.
>
> I needed to make the car serviceable again, so I found a 1998 1.6EL
> engine at a scrapyard. My mechanic has installed it, except for one
> wire that has a different connector to the one on the intake manifold.
>
> He says the car starts, but idles at 1500 instead of 800, and runs
> rough.
>
> 1) Does anyone have any knowledge about differences between these two
> model years that will help complete the installation? Maybe wiring
> diagrams, or any other differences so that we can avoid any gotchas?
> (don't want the kids to be in danger). Any experience with this
> problem?
>
> 2) There was significant black at the exhaust due to oil consumption.
> Do I need to replace muffler, catalytic converter, pipes also?

Don't know about the manifold, but if the O2 sensor or catalytic have been
damaged by oil the "check engine" light will let you know. As for the
muffler and pipes (the plain 'ol metal stuff) they'll be fine, but maybe
smoky the first few miles.

Mike

Old March 10th 05, 01:41 AM
Nightdude

It helps if you had a service manual for the EL. This would tell you the
diff .between 97 and 98.