Cracks in soft top

Old November 14th 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Barry

Default Cracks in soft top

The tan vinyl top on my 1999 Miata has developed a small (about 1/4 inch)
crack on each side where the top folds, just above the window. The top
doesn't seem to leak yet. Can anyone recommend some kind of goop that will
seal the cracks and stay flexible enough to withstand the folding?

Barry

Old November 14th 07, 03:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
the invisible man

In > Barry wrote:
> The tan vinyl top on my 1999 Miata has developed a small (about 1/4
> inch) crack on each side where the top folds, just above the window.
> The top doesn't seem to leak yet. Can anyone recommend some kind of
> goop that will seal the cracks and stay flexible enough to withstand
> the folding?
>
> Barry

liquid electrical tape from a hardware store has worked for me in the
same spot
Loren
Old November 14th 07, 04:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Barry, I get the impression that all the 99's have this problem. Although I
don't feel the top should last forever, many are still in quite good shape
overall and have this seam opening up. Anyway, mine was split open about 4
inches on each side when I bought the car almost 2 years ago now. I cleaned
up the surfaces real good with alcohol and glued them together with Permatex
brand silicone adhesive (used on / in engines). Just enough to make good
consistent contact. I put some pressure on it while drying (you've got to
get creative here) and after it was dry, I masked off just a little bit of
the vinyl on each side and applied a nice neat bead. Smoothed it with my
finger and pulled the tape off. It's looked real good (nobody's ever noticed
it actually) .It's definitely gotten me by as the top looks and works great
otherwise.

Good luck,
Chris
99BBB

. ..

glass cracks Craig Technology 3 June 15th 06 01:54 AM
Tucson Cracks Down on Arrogant Pedalcyclists Matthew Russotto Driving 2 April 12th 05 07:14 PM
Colorado cracks down on LLBs Bo Raxo Driving 123 April 11th 05 10:42 PM
92 Civic cracks but want start NEED HELP PCC Honda 9 January 8th 05 07:44 PM
'90 MX5, cracks around door latch Tom Robeson Mazda 4 October 30th 04 02:15 PM