subframe question

Old June 23rd 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
barry

Default subframe question

i recently got into an accident, resulting in the insurance company
writing off my '90. so i'm shopping for a new miata.

my mechanic looked at a '96 for me. he was able to ascertain an
accident which resulted in damage to the front subframe & he
recommends that it be replaced.

i bought another 90 for parts & the question i have is whether the
front subframe from a 90-93 is interchangeable with the subframe on a
'96.

thanks.

"i can spell. i just can't type."
Old June 24th 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

barry wrote:
> i recently got into an accident, resulting in the insurance company
> writing off my '90. so i'm shopping for a new miata.
>
> my mechanic looked at a '96 for me. he was able to ascertain an
> accident which resulted in damage to the front subframe & he
> recommends that it be replaced.
>
> i bought another 90 for parts & the question i have is whether the
> front subframe from a 90-93 is interchangeable with the subframe on a
> '96.
>
> thanks.
>
> "i can spell. i just can't type."

The same control arms fit all 1990-1997 subframes and the subframe does
not have to be replaced during the 1.6 liter to 1.8 liter engine
conversions, so I am about 99.9% certain that they are interchangeable,
but that .1% would still have me looking at the part numbers to be certain.

This one is a 1990 that had the rear subframe swapped with one from a
1996 model, so we at least know that the rear is compatible for all of
the M1 miatas.

http://miata.net/motm/2007/max.html

The people at www.planetmiata.com can probably tell you for certain on
the compatibility of the front subframe.

Pat
Old June 24th 07, 10:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
barry

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 18:47:58 -0500, pws >
wrote:

>barry wrote:
>> i recently got into an accident, resulting in the insurance company
>> writing off my '90. so i'm shopping for a new miata.
>>
>> my mechanic looked at a '96 for me. he was able to ascertain an
>> accident which resulted in damage to the front subframe & he
>> recommends that it be replaced.
>>
>> i bought another 90 for parts & the question i have is whether the
>> front subframe from a 90-93 is interchangeable with the subframe on a
>> '96.
>>
>> thanks.
>>
>> "i can spell. i just can't type."

>The same control arms fit all 1990-1997 subframes and the subframe does
>not have to be replaced during the 1.6 liter to 1.8 liter engine
>conversions, so I am about 99.9% certain that they are interchangeable,
>but that .1% would still have me looking at the part numbers to be certain.
>
>This one is a 1990 that had the rear subframe swapped with one from a
>1996 model, so we at least know that the rear is compatible for all of
>the M1 miatas.
>
>http://miata.net/motm/2007/max.html
>
>The people at www.planetmiata.com can probably tell you for certain on
>the compatibility of the front subframe.
>
>Pat

thanks!

"i can spell. i just can't type."

Any Bolt-On Subframe kits? [email protected] Ford Mustang 16 November 7th 05 03:54 AM
SubFrame Connectors Steph Ford Mustang 5 February 11th 05 04:42 AM
Subframe connectors or window adjustments? Chuck Ford Mustang 9 January 20th 05 02:42 PM
Bent subframe in Audi TQ '86 cp Audi 8 January 3rd 05 07:22 PM
subframe connector time for 04 vert Chris Shea Ford Mustang 6 December 13th 04 09:33 PM