Selling a car in Illinois

Old December 4th 04, 08:04 PM
Marc Rohlfing

Default Selling a car in Illinois

I'm leaving the US in a couple weeks, and therefore am in the process
of selling my car. Actually, I've never done that before and even
after looking at all the information pages of the DMV here in
Illinois, I'm still not quite sure how the process works...

Once I find a buyer, and have the money, I will
Draft a bill of sale that contains all information (mileage, VIN,
....)
Sign over the title to the new owner
Take my plates off the car

But what then? How does the buyer get to the DMV with my (his) car?
Can he drive without plates for the time being? Or can he go to the
DMV and obtain a temporary permit or a registration before he gets the
title? Do we both have to go to the DMV?

Looking forward to any answer!

Thanks!

Marc