Stud stripped on my 1600 cc oil billet cover plate

Old November 14th 04, 03:54 PM
Chuck Townsley

Default Stud stripped on my 1600 cc oil billet cover plate

One of the studs that holds the billet oil cover plate (drain plate)
is stripped. We removed the plate to clean the oil strainer. My son
was torqueing the cap nut to 5 ft pounds. As he turned the torque
wrench he said, "Dad, the nut just got easier to turn". I backed it
off and there was no shavings, so I am guessing that it had already
been stripped.

The plate was not leaking oil before we loosened it, nor has it since,
but I am sure it is a matter of time.

My question: I looked on Aircooled.net and could not find replacement
studs. Can they be replaced? If so, where can I find them? Or
should I simply re-tap the stud and get a smaller nut?

One more question on the same lines. I could not find replacement
gaskets and brass washers sold as a set on Aircooled.net. I did find
a complete gasket set, but I felt it would be a bit wasteful to buy
them all.

Thanks for you help.
Chuck
Old November 14th 04, 06:19 PM
Chris Perdue

> I could not find replacement
>gaskets and brass washers sold as a set on Aircooled.net.

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewpro...EGS0009&cartid
=1107200419013521

>My question: I looked on Aircooled.net and could not find replacement
>studs. Can they be replaced? If so, where can I find them?

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewpro...THS0002&cartid
=1107200419013521

you need the 6x21mm....
-------------------
Chris Perdue
"I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
air-cooled legend forward"
Jim Mais
Feb. 2004
Old November 14th 04, 11:15 PM
Sleepy Joe

<<<If so, where can I find them?>>>

I got a small Craftsman metric tap set at Sears.

Here are some oversize studs at cip1.com

http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.a...ularity&Page=5

You might want to call them for the size needed for an oil sump plate
stud replacement.
Old November 15th 04, 02:16 AM
Chuck Townsley

Chris,
thanks for information. Any suggestion on techniques of removing such
a small stud? I was thinking of using two nuts in order to lock them
together and back it out.
Chuck

Old November 15th 04, 04:33 AM
Chris Perdue

>From: chuck_townsley

> Any suggestion on techniques of removing such
>a small stud? I was thinking of using two nuts in order to lock them
>together and back it out.
>Chuck

this is a fine meathod, except the fact that your threads are
stripped...<G>....try some vise grips and a firm yet gentle touch...one of the
six studs is longer than the others, and it is used on the inside of the sump
to lock down the pickup tube...check(yes, means removing the sumplate again)
ahead of time to make sure it is not this one that is stripped and needs
replacing...if it is, you will need a longer stud and will probably have to
sacrifice a wrench that will need to be heated and bent to access the
nut...this would also mean you have to be careful not to lose the nut or
washer..but hey the chance of it being *that* stud are only 1in 6...heh..
-------------------
Old November 17th 04, 01:03 AM
ilambert

Hi.There is a tool out there that consists of a knerwed,offset disc with a
hole in it attached to a handle.The stud goes thru the hole,when you press
the handle the offset disc tightens on the stud.I think I saw it at
Sears,but it could be the tool sale I went to.

Old November 25th 04, 04:03 PM
Chuck Townsley

EMOVE (Chris Perdue) wrote in message >...
> >From: chuck_townsley

> > Any suggestion on techniques of removing such
> >a small stud? I was thinking of using two nuts in order to lock them
> >together and back it out.
> >Chuck

> this is a fine meathod, except the fact that your threads are
> stripped...<G>....try some vise grips and a firm yet gentle touch...one of the
> six studs is longer than the others, and it is used on the inside of the sump
> to lock down the pickup tube...check(yes, means removing the sumplate again)
> ahead of time to make sure it is not this one that is stripped and needs
> replacing...if it is, you will need a longer stud and will probably have to
> sacrifice a wrench that will need to be heated and bent to access the
> nut...this would also mean you have to be careful not to lose the nut or
> washer..but hey the chance of it being *that* stud are only 1in 6...heh..
> -------------------
> Chris Perdue
> "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
> the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
> air-cooled legend forward"
> Jim Mais
> Feb. 2004

Well thanks folks. This was a bit of a challenge, but I was able to
replace the stripped threads. I actually got a lot of practice at it
since I had to do the job twice. This first time I put the stud in
too far and it was too short sticking through the billet.

The slow but sure methods worked with my trusty vice grips.

Sure enough it was *that* stud!!! I happened to have a curved set of
needle nose pliers that did the trick, in holding the nut in place and
eventually tightening. I have no idea how much torque I put on that
thing, but it seemed tight enough.

Again, thanks for all your help.
Chuck

rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 7 February 1st 05 01:43 PM
Anti-photo plate cover Bitu Driving 17 January 26th 05 04:38 PM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 10 December 2nd 04 05:19 AM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 10 November 16th 04 05:28 AM