magnets on fuel line

Old July 20th 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Default magnets on fuel line

Steve McMahon wrote:
> Iva wrote:
>> Actually, I prefer the Flying Spaghetti Monster
>> http://www.venganza.org/index.htm
>>

> I have my FSM T-Shirt on as I write this. Xmas present from my 15-yr-old.
> She's a big FSM fan. Really bugs her godsey pals.
>
> You know, Iva, instead of angels, the FSM has ... PIRATES. Yeah. Really,
> big, mean pirates who guard him and stuff.
>
> FSM lives in a resort in the clouds, sorta like, uh, Las Vegas but ...
> Better. And you don't have to die to go there. He can just, like, take
> you up there. Whenever.

I think that FSM has touched Jimmy Buffett and all Parrotheads with His
Noodly Appendage. Why else do they wear so much Pirate stuff? <g>

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata

Old July 24th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Mal Osborne

Hmm, maybe. My 'fridge is covered in magnets, and does not use any petrol at
all!

Old July 29th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

"Mal Osborne" > wrote:

>Hmm, maybe. My 'fridge is covered in magnets, and does not use any petrol at
>all!

Have you noticed some additional hp?

>"barry" > wrote in message
.. .
>>i recently added a magnetic system to my 1990 (approaching 199K this
>> week) in an attempt to improve mileage. (the basic premise is that if
>> you magnetize the fuel positively

Huh? I am not a physicist, but as far as I know, fuel, being a liquid,
cannot be magnetized.

>> and the air negatively

And air neither.

>> (or vice
>> versa),

And vice-versa neither.

>> they'll remain combined after compression in the chamber

They will. The chamber is sealed. No way for either one of them
to get out. Even if you could magnetize them, they could not
get out.

>> resulting in a more efficient burn.

Certainly, if the fuel or the oxygen could escape through the
solid metal cylinder walls, the burn would be less efficient.

>> has anyone else had any experience with this?

Never have seen fuel or air going through solid steel myself.

>> after about six weeks, i've gone from about 26 mpg to about 30 mpg
>> (all city). at $3.20 a gallon nowadays, that makes me pretty happy.
>> the thing is, the car now overheats anytime i sustain anything above
>> 4000 RPM (or about 80mph) for 2-3 minutes. (i live in LA and the 210
>> seems to average about 80 in the middle lane when i'm on the road).

There may be the reason for your increase in mpg. Hotter air has less
oxygen, so takes less fuel to burn.

>> generally cranking on the heat full blast gets the needle back to
>> center, but the dash still feels *really* hot, and everything under
>> the hood is still *extremely* hot when i've arrived & looked under the
>> hood.
>>
>> while i suspect that the hotter burn is the primary factor (the
>> accompanying literature suggests that 87 would burn like 100 with the
>> magnets),

Absolutely. And so it does without magnets. Octane is a measure of
resistance to knock, *not* how much energy is produced by burning the
fuel.

>> i should mention that i recently replaced the front license
>> plate - have driven without it for eight years, finally got a
>> (parking!) ticket, and the outside temperature has been in the 90's &
>> 100's most of the time - which i though might be a factor, but i've
>> seen the temperature come back down to normal while at a dead
>> standstill while cranking on the heat full blast.
>>
>> so i guess my main purpose for posting is to solicit comments about:
>> - magnetizing the fuel/air to improve mileage & performance;

Wouldn't the fuel stick to the fuel lines if you could magnetize it?

>> - the impact of running the equivalent of 100 octane (i have noticed a
>> little more HP on acceleration and i still am usually still in 3rd
>> gear when pulling on the highway at 65mph) in a 16 year old car - is
>> it within the recommended tolerances?

If you stay longer in 3th, you get more hp.

>> - should i go ahead and maybe replace the thermostat anyway? (i *do*
>> plan on flushing the radiator);

I would have the radiator flushed and get rid of the license plate if
possible. Some people have wrapped them around the lower lip. Or
maybe you could suspend it at a higher position on the bracket using
your magnets.

Leon

--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata