Cooling problem with Jeep Cherokee

Old January 25th 05, 04:54 PM
TCS

Default Cooling problem with Jeep Cherokee

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:37:14 -0500, Ed > wrote:
>Vehicle is a 2001 Cherokke, 4.0

>Problem: I start the vehicle and bring it up to operating temperature (gauge
>reads between 190/210). Heat in vehicle works fine.

>On two occasions I was driving along when a warning chime sounded and the "Check
>Gauges" light came on (I had been driving for roughly a half hour...outside
>temperature was in the 20's). I looked at the temperature gauge and it had shot
>up all the way into the red zone (260). The first time it happened I pulled
>over, shut the engine off, and checked under the hood. I didn't notice or feel
>anything that would indicate the engine over heating... no excessive heat,
>steam, odor, or "pinging". I restarted the vehicle and the gauge dropped back to
>210.

>A couple of days later, it happened again; only this time the "check gauges"
>light turned off and the gauge dropped back to 210 before I had a chance to pull
>over (fortunately this time it happened I was about 100' from my driveway).
>Again, no observable symptoms of excessive overheating.

>Once I was able to check things more closely, I noticed that the upper and lower
>radiator hoses were warm to the touch, and there was no pressure and very little
>coolant in it. The radiator and cap were just barely warm.

>There's no sign of any fluid leaks or lost coolant. The level in the expansion
>tank hasn't gone up or down. The electric fan has kicked in a couple of times,
>but the gauge was still in the safe zone (about 230).

>I replaced the thermostat (195), and it's still running the same way... engine
>warms up, heat is fine, but radiator, upper and lower hoses are barely warm.

>What could be the problem here? Weak water pump? Clogged or blocked hoses and/or
>radiator?

Thermostat in backwards?

You really ought to get it fixed before you blow the engine.
Old January 25th 05, 05:04 PM
Mike Romain

Jeeps have really crappie sensors, especially the temperature one. I
would check the connections on it first, then replace it before doing
any rad work. If it 'really' was in the red, you would feel it....

The sensor is on the top of the head on the back drivers side corner and
has a purple wire going to it.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 25th 05, 06:26 PM
Mike Romain

Ed wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:04:08 -0500 Mike Romain > wrote:
>
> >Jeeps have really crappie sensors, especially the temperature one. I
> >would check the connections on it first, then replace it before doing
> >any rad work. If it 'really' was in the red, you would feel it....
> >
> >The sensor is on the top of the head on the back drivers side corner and
> >has a purple wire going to it.

> I had considered a sensor problem (maybe an intermittent thing or short in the
> harness?), but, why would the radiator hoses and radiator be barely warm (almost
> cold), to the touch?

The hoses are reflecting the 'real' temperature most likely. Especially
since you say they are soft.

If it 'really' was hot, the hoses would be hard with pressure.

Mike

Old January 25th 05, 06:46 PM
TCS

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:56:02 -0500, Ed > wrote:
>On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:04:08 -0500 Mike Romain > wrote:

>>Jeeps have really crappie sensors, especially the temperature one. I
>>would check the connections on it first, then replace it before doing
>>any rad work. If it 'really' was in the red, you would feel it....
>>
>>The sensor is on the top of the head on the back drivers side corner and
>>has a purple wire going to it.

>I had considered a sensor problem (maybe an intermittent thing or short in the
>harness?), but, why would the radiator hoses and radiator be barely warm (almost
>cold), to the touch?

no coolant flow

Old January 25th 05, 06:57 PM
Mike Romain

TCS wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:56:02 -0500, Ed > wrote:
> >On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:04:08 -0500 Mike Romain > wrote:

> >>Jeeps have really crappie sensors, especially the temperature one. I
> >>would check the connections on it first, then replace it before doing
> >>any rad work. If it 'really' was in the red, you would feel it....
> >>
> >>The sensor is on the top of the head on the back drivers side corner and
> >>has a purple wire going to it.

> >I had considered a sensor problem (maybe an intermittent thing or short in the
> >harness?), but, why would the radiator hoses and radiator be barely warm (almost
> >cold), to the touch?

> no coolant flow

My Jeep hoses stay cool, well almost cold this time of year and my CJ7
recently started 'overheating' big time on me. 3 times I have pulled
over expecting an explosion only to still have cold hoses and no
pressure build up. Checked the fluid and it's perfect.

I have had a t-stat stick shut and there is no mistaking it. The bottom
rad hose is cold and both hoses are swelled hard with pressure from the
boiling liquid in the head with steam coming out the cap.

The engine was also smoking hot.

He can open the rad cap when the engine is cold and off and start and
warm it up with it open watching to see what happens. If the t-stat is
stuck, he won't get flow until enough pressure builds up and then an
explosion of fluid will be observed with piles of super hot steam.

If everything is right, he will just observe a flow of fluid once the
t-stat opens.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old January 25th 05, 07:31 PM
TCS

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 12:57:31 -0500, Mike Romain > wrote:
>TCS wrote:

>> >I had considered a sensor problem (maybe an intermittent thing or short in the
>> >harness?), but, why would the radiator hoses and radiator be barely warm (almost
>> >cold), to the touch?

>> no coolant flow

>My Jeep hoses stay cool, well almost cold this time of year and my CJ7
>recently started 'overheating' big time on me. 3 times I have pulled
>over expecting an explosion only to still have cold hoses and no
>pressure build up. Checked the fluid and it's perfect.

>I have had a t-stat stick shut and there is no mistaking it. The bottom
>rad hose is cold and both hoses are swelled hard with pressure from the
>boiling liquid in the head with steam coming out the cap.

>The engine was also smoking hot.

indicative of no coolent flow

>He can open the rad cap when the engine is cold and off and start and
>warm it up with it open watching to see what happens. If the t-stat is
>stuck, he won't get flow until enough pressure builds up and then an
>explosion of fluid will be observed with piles of super hot steam.

>If everything is right, he will just observe a flow of fluid once the
>t-stat opens.

Sounding more like a bad pump. They're rock simple; pull it out,
and see if the shaft to the pump blades is broken. Obviously, the
fan belt should have already been checked.
Old January 26th 05, 01:10 AM
Billy Bad Assr©

> Vehicle is a 2001 Cherokke, 4.0
>
> Problem: I start the vehicle and bring it up to operating temperature (gauge
> reads between 190/210). Heat in vehicle works fine.
>
> On two occasions I was driving along when a warning chime sounded and the

"Check
> Gauges" light came on (I had been driving for roughly a half hour...outside
> temperature was in the 20's). I looked at the temperature gauge and it had

shot
> up all the way into the red zone (260). The first time it happened I pulled
> over, shut the engine off, and checked under the hood. I didn't notice or feel
> anything that would indicate the engine over heating... no excessive heat,
> steam, odor, or "pinging". I restarted the vehicle and the gauge dropped back

> 210.

perhaps you have an air pocket in the cooling system!

> A couple of days later, it happened again; only this time the "check gauges"
> light turned off and the gauge dropped back to 210 before I had a chance to

pull
> over (fortunately this time it happened I was about 100' from my driveway).
> Again, no observable symptoms of excessive overheating.
>
> Once I was able to check things more closely, I noticed that the upper and

lower
> radiator hoses were warm to the touch, and there was no pressure and very

little
> coolant in it. The radiator and cap were just barely warm.

still under warrenty? -- I recommend to take vehicle to the dealer and have them
deal with it! >> a common Jeep issue!

> There's no sign of any fluid leaks or lost coolant. The level in the expansion
> tank hasn't gone up or down. The electric fan has kicked in a couple of times,
> but the gauge was still in the safe zone (about 230).
>
> I replaced the thermostat (195), and it's still running the same way... engine
> warms up, heat is fine, but radiator, upper and lower hoses are barely warm.
>
> What could be the problem here? Weak water pump? Clogged or blocked hoses

and/or
> radiator?

air pocket!

> FWIW, the outside temperatures here have been in the low/mid twenties.

that's nice

--
BBA
°?°