Crazy Texas to build 4000 miles of toll roads !!!

Old March 9th 05, 11:12 PM
BlackWater

On 9 Mar 2005 04:30:51 -0800, "Larry Bud" >
wrote:

>> The Trans-Texas Corridor, almost a quarter-mile wide, would carry

>cars,
>> trucks, trains and pipelines for water, oil, natural gas, electricity
>> and fiber optics. The roads would be built over the next 50 years at

>> cost of up to $185 billion, mostly with private money.

>If it were only 100% private money, then it'd be perfect. Don't want
>to drive on it, don't have to pay for it.

You know ... concentrating THAT much traffic and commerce
along a narrow corridor ... makes a GREAT target for
terrorists. So, private money or not, this may not be
an especially good idea.

Old March 9th 05, 11:36 PM
ill

BlackWater wrote:
> On 9 Mar 2005 04:30:51 -0800, "Larry Bud" >
> wrote:
>

>>>The Trans-Texas Corridor, almost a quarter-mile wide, would carry

>>cars,
>>
>>>trucks, trains and pipelines for water, oil, natural gas, electricity
>>>and fiber optics. The roads would be built over the next 50 years at

>>>cost of up to $185 billion, mostly with private money.

>>If it were only 100% private money, then it'd be perfect. Don't want
>>to drive on it, don't have to pay for it.

> You know ... concentrating THAT much traffic and commerce
> along a narrow corridor ... makes a GREAT target for
> terrorists. So, private money or not, this may not be
> an especially good idea.

So what's on Fox News tonight?
Old March 10th 05, 01:56 AM
Paul

On 9 Mar 2005 09:51:33 -0800, Larry Bud , one of an infinite number of
monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters said the following in
rec.autos.driving...

> Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
> > > cars,

> > electricity

> > at
> > >
> > > If it were only 100% private money, then it'd be perfect. Don't

> want
> > > to drive on it, don't have to pay for it.

> > No it wouldn't be perfect. Lots of people are going to lose their

> homes
> > because of this insanity. And it just encourages more driving which
> > means more wars to steal the needed oil. We need to cut back on
> > vehicle useage.

> Maybe you should just stick to riding in black helicopters.

....and trying on tinfoil hats.....
Old March 10th 05, 02:07 AM
Barry L. Camp

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
> But hey - it will only cost $185 billion.

While I consider most of your posts over-the-top attempts at trolling,
I have to say, I think this project is a BAD IDEA, and a waste of
taxpayer dollars at any price.

> No question this love affair with cars is the sickest thing in

history.

Like I said, I consider most of your posts over-the-top attempts at
trolling.

Barry L. Camp

Old March 10th 05, 02:56 AM

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ersizehighways

> > Mon Mar 7, 7:52 AM ET Politics - USATODAY.com
> >
> > By Larry Copeland, USA TODAY
> >
> > Texans are known for doing things in a big way. But the state is
> > planning a futuristic highway system that's gargantuan even by

Texas
> > standards: 4,000 miles of expressways, mostly toll lanes.

> Everything is bigger in Texas - especially their idiots. But it's a
> bargain compared to Iraq.

The Texas idiots are no where near as big as the idiots coming from
Ontario. Those are the biggest idiots in the world.

Old March 10th 05, 09:02 AM
Kev

well lets see:
Special Report at 5 pm central time
FOX News Report at 6pm central time
O Reilly Factor at 7pm central time
Hannidy and Combs at 8pm central time(has a conserative and a liberal
hosting the show).
On the Record at 9pm central time
O Reilly Factor repeated at 10 pm central time
Special Report repeated at 11 pm central time
etc. etc. etc.
LOL with sarcasm

Kevin

Old March 10th 05, 09:36 AM
Magnulus

"Barry L. Camp" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> > No question this love affair with cars is the sickest thing in

> history.
>
> Like I said, I consider most of your posts over-the-top attempts at
> trolling.

It's not that absurd. So many of the problems with traffic, the solution
is to just build another road, instead of looking at other solutions.
I'd like to see more roundabouts in the US, especially connecting small
roads. It would allow faster traffic throughput at some intersections- and
it would cut down on having to widen so many roads. Not a perfect solution,
but it's better than what we have now- miles and miles of 4-way stops with
lots of idling. They've also proven for every 10 percent more lanes you
build, you get about 9 percent more traffic. Simply widening lanes doesn't
do enough to reduce congestion. Another thing, why do idiot
developers/traffic planners think an uncontrolled 4 way intersection is cool
(theere's one right outside my neighborhood, connecting to another
subdivision)? Just because it looks symmetrical? A staggered series of 2
3-way "T" intersections would allow for better traffic flow and safety.

The US needs more highspeed rail corridors, and a laxing of the rules
regarding train/engine weight. In Europe they have high speed trains that
don't trash the tracks to ride on them. In the US, the Acela weighs twice
what it has to, to comply with deluded US regulations regarding
crashworthiness. And it can't tilt as much or it will quickly damage the
tracks it rides on, reducing the top speed of the train from 200 mph to
about 125 mph for most of its trip.

Old March 10th 05, 01:11 PM
BlackWater

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:36:20 -0500, ill > wrote:

>BlackWater wrote:

>>>cars,

>>>If it were only 100% private money, then it'd be perfect. Don't want
>>>to drive on it, don't have to pay for it.

>> You know ... concentrating THAT much traffic and commerce
>> along a narrow corridor ... makes a GREAT target for
>> terrorists. So, private money or not, this may not be
>> an especially good idea.
>>

>So what's on Fox News tonight?

Fox suddenly got a monopoly on 'news' ?

Old March 10th 05, 06:33 PM
Larry Bud

> > No question this love affair with cars is the sickest thing in
> history.
>
> Like I said, I consider most of your posts over-the-top attempts at
> trolling.

No such luck. She truly is a nut job.

Old March 11th 05, 12:13 AM
Furious George

WesTex Ruffnek wrote:
> "robertlangdirect" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Unfortunately, the private funds will come with "non-compete"

clauses
> > -- that means that other alternative routes will either be dropped

from
> > production or reduced in maintenance. You are wrong to believe

that
> > you won't pay to ride the road. You will because it will

eventually
> > become the only means to go from A to B.
> >
> > As the good people of California.
> >

> And, as soon as it passes in Texas, it will be extended all the way

> Canada. And, if you have a 200 acre farm that gets split down the

middle by
> this monstrosity, you will have to drive as much as 100 miles to find

> crossover so you can go see the other side of your farm. Neat, huh?

Probably not. Considering how wide the corridor is (1/2 mile), it is
more likely that it will simply swallow your entire farm.