2000 Cherokee Fule Filter

Old July 8th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jb

Default 2000 Cherokee Fule Filter

I just purchased the 2000 Cherokee with 135k miles. I'm trying to snuff
it up all the way around. The fuel filter is my next concern. Where is
it located??? Can't seem the find it. Do I need to install an inline
filter? What is you recommendation? Thanks from a new Jeep driver.
Old July 8th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

http://www.billhughes.com/WJfuelFilterRegulator.pdf
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old July 8th 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Bill...., he needs the XJ diagram where the filter mounts above the tank
instead of the WJ location in front of the tank.
..

Old July 9th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

The 2000 Cherokee 4.0 L and 2.5 L has "strainers" at the fuel pump.
Here is a photo of the fuel pump and strainers:
http://www.rockauto.com/ref/Carter/D....PI.P74186.jpg

In the late '90s these strainers at the fuel pump rather than a stand
alone fuel filter became common for many vehicles. I don't know if
Jeep recommends these strainers be replaced as part of routine
maintenance.

Old July 9th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jb

wrote:
> The 2000 Cherokee 4.0 L and 2.5 L has "strainers" at the fuel pump.
> Here is a photo of the fuel pump and strainers:

http://www.rockauto.com/ref/Carter/D....PI.P74186.jpg

> In the late '90s these strainers at the fuel pump rather than a stand
> alone fuel filter became common for many vehicles. I don't know if
> Jeep recommends these strainers be replaced as part of routine
> maintenance.
>
> jb wrote:
>
>>I just purchased the 2000 Cherokee with 135k miles. I'm trying to snuff
>>it up all the way around. The fuel filter is my next concern. Where is
>>it located??? Can't seem the find it. Do I need to install an inline
>>filter? What is you recommendation? Thanks from a new Jeep driver.

If the filter mounts above the tank, the tank would have to be removed?
Ouch.
Old July 11th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

Tank removal isn't as bad a job as it seems, at least on my TJ...I've had it
out a couple of times for various reasons, but not to replace the filter
yet.

It's easier when the tank is close to empty though, and when using a floor
jack to lower it.

.. .

Old July 11th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Matt Macchiarolo did pass the time by typing:
> Tank removal isn't as bad a job as it seems, at least on my TJ...I've had it
> out a couple of times for various reasons, but not to replace the filter
> yet.
>
> It's easier when the tank is close to empty though, and when using a floor
> jack to lower it.

You can also disconnect the line at the rail and run the fuel pump manually
to drain the tank. Just make sure you have a good catch can and secure the
hose because the pump puts out a lot of pressure and volume.

That or a hose to siphon it out. I found the pump to be faster.

Do not underestimate the weight of fuel and the difficulty of managing
a sloshing tank. Anything above E is going to be a pain in the ass.

By the time I get to do my tank I'll have probably done five others.
(as long as they bring beer it's all ok.)

--
DougW

Old July 11th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

The rollover check valve precludes trying to siphon the tank. Best to drain
it or run it till it's almost empty.

"DougW" > wrote in message
> Matt Macchiarolo did pass the time by typing:
>> Tank removal isn't as bad a job as it seems, at least on my TJ...I've had
>> it
>> out a couple of times for various reasons, but not to replace the filter
>> yet.
>>
>> It's easier when the tank is close to empty though, and when using a
>> floor
>> jack to lower it.

> You can also disconnect the line at the rail and run the fuel pump
> manually
> to drain the tank. Just make sure you have a good catch can and secure
> the
> hose because the pump puts out a lot of pressure and volume.
>
> That or a hose to siphon it out. I found the pump to be faster.
>
> Do not underestimate the weight of fuel and the difficulty of managing
> a sloshing tank. Anything above E is going to be a pain in the ass.
>
> By the time I get to do my tank I'll have probably done five others.
> (as long as they bring beer it's all ok.)
>
> --
> DougW

Front axle seal on 2000 Grand Cherokee - $800?! [email protected] Jeep 15 July 4th 06 07:51 PM
Jeep Stalling sant Jeep 16 February 25th 06 09:46 PM
98 cherokee sport XJ versus 2000 Cherokee Classic XJ Forthron Jeep 1 January 10th 06 12:29 PM
What's a reasonable gas mileage for a 4.7 liter 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee? Dave in Colorado Jeep 0 December 13th 05 05:45 AM
REAL air filter testing. More proof that K&N is junk. Steve W. 4x4 25 January 12th 05 02:22 PM