Crazy Clown Loaches

Old September 25th 05, 09:47 PM
Fantastic Derek

Default Crazy Clown Loaches

Hi

This is going to seem like a stupid question I think. I bought myself
three clowns yesterday. I have been considering this for some time,
having even decided against it despite the fact that I bought myself a
much larger tank than I had orignally wanted/ bought just so I could
get some, but I could resist no more as I think they are just amazing
creatures. Anyway, when first released them they wnet to the back of
the tank and just laid there, but began to move about yesterday
evening.

This evening however, although one is wandering about and another one
is just lying about at the back of the tank the third one has done
something that I am slightly puzzled with. I have a fairly large piece
of bogwood, which has a hole in it which I never noticed before. The
third clown is in this hole. It must be just about the length of his
body and probably no wider, but I can just see his tail sticking out
of. I know it sounds stupid, but I am concerned that he may be stuck
as I havbe been watching him (or her) for about 40 minutes now and
every so often he wiggles his tail as if he's trying to move out but
goes nowhere! Am I being silly? I don't want to stick my hand in the
tank unneccasarily as they do seem quite nervous while they have been
getting used to the tank.

BTW Gill, how are you getting on with your two last rams? Mine, both
of which I bought from the same place as you I think seem to be fine
(touch wood).
Old September 25th 05, 10:49 PM
Gail Futoran

"Fantastic Derek" wrote in message
[...]

I had a Skunk botia get stuck and die in a small
cave decoration (in the hole on the bottom of
one "leg"). I removed the decoration. My YoYos
will try the same thing so I'm careful about what
decorations are in tanks with loaches.

Loaches will put themselves in positions they can't
get out of, so I would remove any temptations
or fill the hole with something. You might also
provide some hidey holes, like PVC pipe (which
is smooth so they can't get stuck until they
get too large for it). My YoYos love hiding in
PVC pipe.

You might wait awhile to see if the loach gets
itself out of the hole before modifying the
bogwood. Like you said, they're still getting
used to the tank.

Gail

Old September 25th 05, 11:31 PM
Fantastic Derek

Thanks, Gail. I had assumed he would get out by himself, but if you've
had experience otherwise... How would I go about getting him out? I
suppose if I just tip it gently he should just fall out.What do you
think? Idon't want to hurt him.

If it does prove to be an issue, I might take the wood out and drill
the hole through so next time they can just swim straight through.

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 21:49:22 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

.. .

Old September 25th 05, 11:52 PM
Gill Passman

wrote:

"Fantastic Derek" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Hi Derek,

My previous batch of Clown Loaches (much missed - filter prob while I
was on hols) - the two largest would periodically jam themselves in the
bogwood and get trapped by the Plec who lived there - no ill effect
although the smaller ones did get so stressed I got an outbreak of white
spot/ich....if they can get in they can get out....I am actually
currently having problems with stocking YoYo Loaches (in the UK they
call them Pakistani Loaches) - much the same as you are describing with
the Clowns - my guess is they are sick/

My question, based on recent experience, would be which MA did you buy
them from???? Check for white spots/grains - they could have ich which
would explain their shyness - fish if not well will not be as confident
as those that are healthy - IME clowns especially

My attempts to replace my 6 strong troupe after the massacre have had
varied results....3 of them which I put in QT never had any confidence
and succumbed and died from Ich - they never behaved the way I would
expect CLs to behave. 3 others I foolishly put straight into the
community tank and I will swear they grew at least 1/2 inch plus within
a week or so....they are out and about and very confident. That being
said I am currently treating them for Ich but it doesn't seem to be
bothering them and I don't believe that they brought the ich in with
them...I think it was introduced by other fish I put in the tank.

Watch for white spot/ich...Clowns should be out playing and feeding well
if there are sufficient other confident, established fish to make them
feel secure....

Gill

BTW One female Ram died within a couple of days....the remaining male
and female appear to be a love match and are doing great...apart from
having picked the area chosen by the Dwarf Gouramis as a spawning patch
(which I'm sure will end in tears) they are doing very well.

I'm compiling a list of fishes purchased against living and dead from a
certain LFS to take them to task - I think the level of mortality is too
high....I don't really care about the credit issue (although HH offered
without me asking) - it is more a matter that they seem to currently
have a problem based on my experience and it needs to be rectified - if
I don't complain how will they know???? Previously I've never had issues
with fish purchased there
Old September 26th 05, 01:29 AM
Fantastic Derek

Hi Gill,

I got them from HH. I was going to get replacements for the rainbows,
but the red ones they had weren't any where near as nice as they were
before so I decided to go for the clowns instead. I don't think
there's too much wrong with them apart from this one that I am now
convinced is stuck in the wood. I am really worried about him. I
posted on another forum and was advised to pul the wood out just for a
few seconds, the idea being that the change in pressure may allow him
to fall out, but this didn't work. It's getting late now and I've got
to be in work early tomorrow. I think I'm going to turn out the lights
and hope he wriggles himself free. After all he got in there.

Old September 26th 05, 02:05 AM
Fantastic Derek

He's freed himself!!!!! Good work, foolish clown loach!!

wrote:

m...

Old September 26th 05, 09:10 AM
Gill Passman

wrote:

[...]

My current three Clowns came from HH as well and are doing very well - I
reckon they have grown at least 1/2 inch since I got them just over a
month ago.

It would certainly be worth trying moving the wood and see what happens
if he hasn't found his own way out

Gill
Old September 26th 05, 09:11 AM
Gill Passman

Fantastic Derek wrote:
He's freed himself!!!!! Good work, foolish clown loach!!

Missed this before replying - :-)

Glad he is free

Gill
Old September 26th 05, 11:40 AM
Fantastic Derek

Didn't you buy those rams from our Welsh friend? I've not lost any of
his fish although I have had cause to question his advice. We took
back one of our two males that we had as they were always fighting and
swapped him for a small one from the Gold strain they have there which
he told me was female. These two don't fight at all, but the smaller,
gold one, I'm sure is a male. It's third ray points out above the
rest. No harm though as we swapped them to avoid the bullying/
fighting and this has definitely happened.

However, on another tack, I wanted something to do with my smaller
tank now all of the fish are in my big fella. It was fully cycled and
my wife loves puffers so I did a lot of reading and decided we could
get some dwarf puffers, but when we went in there they didn't have
enough left so I let him talk me into getting a couple of FW spotted
puffers who are ridiculously cute. They've done pretty well, eating
everything that he recommended including flake amazingly, but it
appears to me, having done a little more reading that they may prefer
slightly brackish water as they get older and that they can grow up to
6" so would require a much bigger tank!! Annoying, as I told him what
sixe tnka I had, but I think it's a good lesson never to avidly trust
your LFS guy. He even told me I was reading too much!!

Old September 26th 05, 12:34 PM
Gill Passman

Fantastic Derek wrote:
[...]

LOL - he tells me I spend too much time on Newsgroups!!!! and woe betide
you if you describe "White Spot" as "Ich" :-)

How big is your smaller tank? I've never been tempted by puffers with
the exception of the Mbu puffers they had at Hare Hatch - hasty reading
put me off them tho' - don't have a tank big enough - but they were
really cute the way they watched you from the tank.

I've reached the point where I tend to just buy the fish I want and have
already researched rather than relying on advice from any of the guys at
MA. I must admit I sometimes research something unsuitable that they
have on sale and then ask them if they would be suitable for my set up.
Naughty I know, but I almost always get the right answer back.

My two Dutch Rams are definitely Male/Female but I was told that it was
very easy to tell the sexes (by H) although when I had my last venture
into Ram ownership I was told it was almost impossible to tell the sexes
(by H). Hmmmmm

Gill