Chrysler's latest scam

Old July 23rd 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
mack

Default Chrysler's latest scam

In the last few weeks, I've noticed Chrysler ads on TV, where the voiceover
states "If you're dissatisfied with your new Chrysler, SIMPLY return it to
the dealer within 30 days".

While the graphic is on the screen (a full 2 1/2 seconds by my reckoning)
there's a fine print paragraph which states that you are responsible for a
restocking charge of 5% of the MSRP....and about that time the graphic
stops.

Today, I got a flyer from the local Chrysler dealer which I read
carefully...the fine print is about the size of the type on the back of an
aspirin bottle, but here's what it says ...

"To participate in the 30 day return program, the following criteria must be
met: must use a dealer participating in the Employee Pricing Plus program,
musst be a retail purchase, leases do not qualify, must be financed through
Chrysler Financial, purchase cannot involve a trade-in of another vehicle,
vehicle must not have any non-Mopar parts/accessories installed.
Customer responsibilites if vehicle is returned: Payment of title, tax, and
doc fees, payment of a restocking fee of 5% of MSRP, plus $.50 per mile
driven, must return the vehicle to the selling dealer in good, undamaged and
like new condition within 30 days of delivery, only one return of a vehicle
is allowed per customer. Program expires July 31. 2006. "

So, you can simply return the car to the dealer (if it's a retail purchase,
not a lease, and you haven't put on any parts which aren't Mopar) by paying
5% of the MSRP (on a $30k car, that's only $1500) pay the tax (which in
California would be close to 8%, or $2400), pay the license (about $600-900
in California) and 50c per mile driven (if you've driven 900 miles in 3 1/2
weeks, that would be $450). Plus the $50 or so doc fee.

Thus, if you didn't like your car, it would cost you

$1500 restocking fee
$2400 tax
$ 600 (at least) registration
$ 450 mileage driven
$ 50 document fee
~~~~~~~~~
$ 5000. total

And remember, there can't have been a trade in, and you had to finance the
car through Chrysler Financial.

Is this a good deal or what? Maybe it IS worth it.....To the dealer.

Old July 23rd 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe[_3_]

"mack" > wrote in message

> In the last few weeks, I've noticed Chrysler ads on TV, where the
> voiceover
> states "If you're dissatisfied with your new Chrysler, SIMPLY return it to
> the dealer within 30 days".
>
> While the graphic is on the screen (a full 2 1/2 seconds by my reckoning)
> there's a fine print paragraph which states that you are responsible for a
> restocking charge of 5% of the MSRP....and about that time the graphic
> stops.
>
> Today, I got a flyer from the local Chrysler dealer which I read
> carefully...the fine print is about the size of the type on the back of an
> aspirin bottle, but here's what it says ...
>
> "To participate in the 30 day return program, the following criteria must
> be
> met: must use a dealer participating in the Employee Pricing Plus
> program,
> musst be a retail purchase, leases do not qualify, must be financed
> through
> Chrysler Financial, purchase cannot involve a trade-in of another vehicle,
> vehicle must not have any non-Mopar parts/accessories installed.
> Customer responsibilites if vehicle is returned: Payment of title, tax,
> and
> doc fees, payment of a restocking fee of 5% of MSRP, plus $.50 per mile
> driven, must return the vehicle to the selling dealer in good, undamaged
> and
> like new condition within 30 days of delivery, only one return of a
> vehicle
> is allowed per customer. Program expires July 31. 2006. "
>
> So, you can simply return the car to the dealer (if it's a retail
> purchase,
> not a lease, and you haven't put on any parts which aren't Mopar) by
> paying
> 5% of the MSRP (on a $30k car, that's only $1500) pay the tax (which in
> California would be close to 8%, or $2400), pay the license (about
> $600-900
> in California) and 50c per mile driven (if you've driven 900 miles in 3
> 1/2
> weeks, that would be $450). Plus the $50 or so doc fee.
>
> Thus, if you didn't like your car, it would cost you
>
> $1500 restocking fee
> $2400 tax
> $ 600 (at least) registration
> $ 450 mileage driven
> $ 50 document fee
> ~~~~~~~~~
> $ 5000. total
>
> And remember, there can't have been a trade in, and you had to finance the
> car through Chrysler Financial.
>
> Is this a good deal or what? Maybe it IS worth it.....To the dealer.

Not to mention the state. They're racking up! Unlike the dealer, the state
doesn't have anything to lose in the deal. It's actually a pretty good deal
except for the tax implications.

Old July 23rd 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
corning_d3[_2_]

They gotta make all that money back that the 2.7 V-6 cost them....POS..

--
corning_d3
corning_d3's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=373828

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old July 23rd 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

mack wrote:

> Thus, if you didn't like your car, it would cost you
>
> $1500 restocking fee
> $2400 tax
> $ 600 (at least) registration
> $ 450 mileage driven
> $ 50 document fee
> ~~~~~~~~~
> $ 5000. total

Um - wouldn't you get a refund on the tax? Isin't that how it
normally works when you return something?

As for the registration, wouldn't you end up with a new set of plates
(good for what - a year?) that you could use on another car?
Old July 23rd 06, 09:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nobody

MoPar Man > wrote in :

> mack wrote:
>
>> Thus, if you didn't like your car, it would cost you
>>
>> $1500 restocking fee
>> $2400 tax
>> $ 600 (at least) registration
>> $ 450 mileage driven
>> $ 50 document fee
>> ~~~~~~~~~
>> $ 5000. total

> Um - wouldn't you get a refund on the tax? Isin't that how it
> normally works when you return something?
>
> As for the registration, wouldn't you end up with a new set of plates
> (good for what - a year?) that you could use on another car?

I'm wondering how this works...in New York, you don't get your title for
six weeks from date you pick up your car (plus/minus a few days...it's
pretty consistent). How do you transfer title back to dealer with no
title?!?
Old July 23rd 06, 09:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nobody

MoPar Man > wrote in :

> mack wrote:
>
>> Thus, if you didn't like your car, it would cost you
>>
>> $1500 restocking fee
>> $2400 tax
>> $ 600 (at least) registration
>> $ 450 mileage driven
>> $ 50 document fee
>> ~~~~~~~~~
>> $ 5000. total

> Um - wouldn't you get a refund on the tax? Isin't that how it
> normally works when you return something?
>
> As for the registration, wouldn't you end up with a new set of plates
> (good for what - a year?) that you could use on another car?

With regard to the tax, in New York, you only get that back if you win a
lemon law case. You don't get it back if the manufacturer agrees to back
through some arbitration process (such as BBB Auto Line). The state gets
to keep their piece...
Old July 23rd 06, 09:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nobody

"mack" > wrote in
:

> Is this a good deal or what? Maybe it IS worth it.....To the dealer.

Ask Dr. Z...if he's a fag.
Old July 23rd 06, 10:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Coasty[_1_]

I would not call it a scam since everything is in writing I would consider
it alternate sales revenue.

Coasty

Old July 24th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
frenchy[_1_]

> $ 5000. total
>
> And remember, there can't have been a trade in, and you had to finance the
> car through Chrysler Financial.
>
> Is this a good deal or what? Maybe it IS worth it.....To the dealer.>>>

The car would then have to be sold as a used car after that, or (?)

Old July 24th 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
corning_d3[_3_]

Or a lease car..