snow birds!

Old August 24th 05, 11:57 PM
Art McGinn

Default snow birds!

As a Californian trepidatiously headed into the teeth of snowy winters in
the Pacific Northwest with our '91 Miata, I was pleased to learn from
northern list members that a Miata can tame snow -- if not too much snow for
the little fella. Like more than five inches or so. The Nokian RSI winter
tire also seems the favorite to accomplish this. Any other nominations?
Cheers, Art, San Francisco (but soon Spokane)

Old August 25th 05, 12:29 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-08-24, Art McGinn > wrote:

> As a Californian trepidatiously headed into the teeth of snowy
> winters in the Pacific Northwest with our '91 Miata, I was
> pleased to learn from northern list members that a Miata can
> tame snow -- if not too much snow for the little fella. Like
> more than five inches or so.

You can probably handle twice that if it's light fluffy snow.
I've never had any problems with fresh snow, but I've probably
never tried to drive through more than a foot. What's nasty is
the day-old stuff that's turned sort of tan-colored and doesn't
stick together anymore.

> The Nokian RSI winter tire also seems the favorite to
> accomplish this. Any other nominations? Cheers, Art, San
> Francisco (but soon Spokane)

With 4 snow tires, driving a Miata in the snow is really pretty
fun. More than enough traction to get around, but you can kick
the rear end loose on demand. Not that I do that sort of thing
of course...

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm continually
at AMAZED at th'breathtaking
Old August 26th 05, 12:58 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"Art McGinn" > wrote:

> As a Californian trepidatiously headed into the teeth of snowy winters in
>the Pacific Northwest with our '91 Miata, I was pleased to learn from
>northern list members that a Miata can tame snow --

Don't start thinking now that tires solve all. You will still need to drive
*much* slower in any case, not just incrementally slower than in California.
Watch for ice. (Just making sure that you do not drive like Florida drivers
do in such a case.)

Leon (who did drive an MGB on all seasons in hilly upstate New York,
with a much valued shovel in the trunk.)

> if not too much snow for
>the little fella. Like more than five inches or so. The Nokian RSI winter
>tire also seems the favorite to accomplish this. Any other nominations?
>Cheers, Art, San Francisco (but soon Spokane)

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old August 26th 05, 06:34 PM
Art McGinn

Leon: Good advice. I grew up in snow country (the selfsame Spokane) but
haven't driven in ice and snow for about four decades. So will have to
relearn all that. One of those army surplus folding entrenching shovels for
the trunk sounds like a great idea. Art

Old August 31st 05, 04:42 PM
mcola

Full fuel tank as much as possible and maybe a little extra weight in the
trunk. This with good snow tires should get u thru.
Use downshifting as much as possible to avoid using brakes. If not equipped
with ABS, (are all Miatas so equipped?) pump the brakes if front wheels
lock, this will help u to be able to turn while braking. Drive slowly and
watch out for SUV's many who seem to really enjoy showing off their 4 wheel
drive when it snows.

nk.net...

Old August 31st 05, 05:02 PM
Art McGinn

mcola: thanks for the good tips. and to all other responders, too. will
advise how the miata rocked in the snow and slush... art

"mcola" > wrote in message
> Full fuel tank as much as possible and maybe a little extra weight in the
> trunk. This with good snow tires should get u thru.
> Use downshifting as much as possible to avoid using brakes. If not
> equipped
> with ABS, (are all Miatas so equipped?) pump the brakes if front wheels
> lock, this will help u to be able to turn while braking. Drive slowly and
> watch out for SUV's many who seem to really enjoy showing off their 4
> wheel
> drive when it snows.
>
> "Art McGinn" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>> As a Californian trepidatiously headed into the teeth of snowy winters

> in
>> the Pacific Northwest with our '91 Miata, I was pleased to learn from
>> northern list members that a Miata can tame snow -- if not too much snow

> for
>> the little fella. Like more than five inches or so. The Nokian RSI winter
>> tire also seems the favorite to accomplish this. Any other nominations?
>> Cheers, Art, San Francisco (but soon Spokane)

Got a little bit a snow here in NJ, fun to drive in... Cory Dunkle Driving 0 January 24th 05 02:48 AM
Snow plows for small 4x4's? 4x4 7 January 19th 05 08:45 PM
Hey Mike, snow! Greg Jeep 3 January 16th 05 10:18 PM
CRV and snow motsco_ _ Honda 1 November 30th 04 05:47 AM