Headlights do/don't pop up and tires.

Old July 29th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bruno

Default Headlights do/don't pop up and tires.

Leon van Dommelen wrote:

> Could the rubber be very old?

Temperature could also be an issue. Wet AND cold on the same time can
make a lot of sporty tires something best avoided.

Kind regards
Bruno
Old July 29th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Bruno > wrote:

> Leon van Dommelen wrote:
>>
>> Could the rubber be very old?
>>

> Temperature could also be an issue. Wet AND cold on the same time
> can make a lot of sporty tires something best avoided.

It's also the unusual conditions here, we've gone a long time w/o rain
and the streets are coated with oil and gas so until that washes off
they're unusually slick however I had no traction problems or sliding
driving my Jeep which I would normally not consider as good handling a
car as the Miata but who knows? Your next track event you may see a
Jeep passing you on the outside of a hairpin turn.... or maybe not?

Old July 29th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

<snip> Your next track event you may see a Jeep passing you on the outside
of a hairpin turn....

only if it is a rainy day and i hope that the jeep passes on the outside
so that i am clear of it when it begins to roll over!

but i am still surprised about our different experiences. i know the ziex
model has come in several flavors over the years and that the earlier ones
were not considered to be as good. the tires should have a date code on
them in raised lettering after the letters "dot" if you care to take a look.

Old July 29th 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

"Christopher Muto" > wrote:

> <snip> Your next track event you may see a Jeep passing you on
> the outside of a hairpin turn....
>
> only if it is a rainy day and i hope that the jeep passes on
> the outside so that i am clear of it when it begins to roll over!

You wouldn't be so sure if I'd told you it's a WHITE jeep! Less photon
drag you know.....

> but i am still surprised about our different experiences. i know
> the ziex model has come in several flavors over the years and that
> the earlier ones were not considered to be as good. the tires
> should have a date code on them in raised lettering after the
> letters "dot" if you care to take a look.

It's dark, it's hot and humid and we're enjoying a dust storm with
winds blowing 40mph or better and it's going to rain. I'm inside
typing away at the computer, I'm dry, out of the wind and enjoying the
air conditioning. If the AC dies, I'll go look, OK? ;-)

Maybe tomorrow if I remember...

Old July 29th 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article > ,
XS11E > wrote:

> When I first started the car I got a very bad noise
> for just a minute.

When I was in high school, my girlfriend's mother once had a very bad
noise when she started her car. Seems her cat had gone to sleep on the
crank pulley. What a mess!
Old July 29th 07, 02:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> When I was in high school, my girlfriend's mother once had a very bad
> noise when she started her car. Seems her cat had gone to sleep on the
> crank pulley. What a mess!

Nasty. Since it was her pet, she was probably traumatized even more by
the death of her cat than the fact that her daughter was dating a guy
named Lanny. ;-)

This snake would also be fun to find. Here is a link for the one or two
people left on the Internet who have not seen it.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/carsnake.asp

Pat
Old July 29th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Pat wrote:
> Lanny Chambers wrote:
>
>> When I was in high school, my girlfriend's mother once had a very
>> bad noise when she started her car. Seems her cat had gone to sleep
>> on the crank pulley. What a mess!

> Nasty. Since it was her pet, she was probably traumatized even more
> by the death of her cat than the fact that her daughter was dating a
> guy named Lanny. ;-)
>
> This snake would also be fun to find. Here is a link for the one or
> two people left on the Internet who have not seen it.
>
> http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/carsnake.asp

Something very similar happened less than 1/2 mile from me the other
day but the snake was not killed... http://tinyurl.com/2puwmb It
certainly made me think twice about using that gas station!

Iva & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Old July 29th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Iva wrote:

> Something very similar happened less than 1/2 mile from me the other
> day but the snake was not killed... http://tinyurl.com/2puwmb It
> certainly made me think twice about using that gas station!
>
> Iva & Vixen
> 2004 Classic Red
> No more winkin' Miata

I would have caught it. I don't want to keep one, but I would either
find the owner or sell it. Even a healthy red tail boa is worth quite a
bit a 5 feet. A more exotic one can be worth a lot.

I caught a corn snake about that big at a company I used to work for.
I won't mess with anything poisonous, and 8 or 9 feet is probably my
limit on a constrictor before I want help, but you don't have to be
Steve Irwin to catch them without getting bitten.

In any case, I would rather find a live one coming out than snake guts
all over my engine. :-)

"Snakes on a Miata!"

Pat
Old July 29th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

XS11E > wrote:

> Maybe tomorrow if I remember...

Week 10 of 2004.

Hmmm, damn little wear for 3 years old but a LOT of wear for as few
miles as that thing has in the last 3 years.... The tires were less
than a year old when I got the car.

Old July 30th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

XS11E > wrote:

>XS11E > wrote:
>
>> Maybe tomorrow if I remember...

>Week 10 of 2004.
>
>Hmmm, damn little wear for 3 years old but a LOT of wear for as few
>miles as that thing has in the last 3 years.... The tires were less
>than a year old when I got the car.

I do not recall specific data on tire age in my SAE references, but they
are not young. Here is one maybe useful web reference for your RV
Miata's tires:
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/tirecare/tire_age.html

Note in particular the reference to standing in the sun over long times.

When I got Bozo, its tires were *very* dangerous in the wet, so bad that
I replaced them after 2000 miles or so, "brand new." I was really scared
on wet roads.

I have always guessed it to be due to having stood in a dealer lot in the
south Florida sun for a year. Note that most of the traction in wet
weather is not actual adhesion to the road surface, but viscous losses
while the tire surface deforms to the microscopic shape of the road surface.
A sun-hardened rubber would be miserable at that.

Since you mention that there has been a lot of wear, there may also be the
fact that tire rubber is usually designed to be harder towards the inside
already. I forgot the reason right now, I guess to keep the thread blocks
in position.

Leon
--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata

Tires tires tyres Theoldman Corvette 0 April 30th 06 03:35 AM
Winter drivinng: FWD and RWD with snow tires vs. AWD with all-season tires - what people who have done the tests say GRL BMW 27 February 26th 06 06:27 PM
FS: 5'er Snow Tires: Wheels and Tires Nik BMW 5 December 16th 05 12:36 AM
Quiet tires=soft tires? Frank Honda 8 March 16th 05 07:40 PM
Winter tires vs offroad tires. Goldhawk 4x4 5 January 5th 05 09:34 PM