2001 Bonneville SLE HVAC problem

Old August 7th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ken[_3_]

Default 2001 Bonneville SLE HVAC problem

The car has dual climate control which is nice except for when it stops
working properly. I have not had any problems with the heat in the
winter but the AC in the summer is a problem. It started as, slightly
cool air on the drivers side and cold on the passengers side and worked
OK up to about 85 degrees ambient temperature. Took it in and had the
AC charge system tested and serviced. Came out working fine. Two
weeks later the blower motor goes bad. Take it in and have it
replaced. The last one that was installed was missing piece from the
cone area of the fan causing it to spin out of balance. Worked fine
for two days and then during the heat wave the passenger side blows HOT
air with limited air mass and the drivers side slightly cool and no
signs of limited air mass. The charge is still good and no leaks have
been detected. Compressor comes on and AC works well and condensation
runs from underneath the car but the cool air never makes it inside the
car. A manual recalibration of the vent doors was run by disconnecting
the DIM fuse for 60 seconds. I could hear the motor come on for the
vent doors but it did not sound very good (kind of whining). Still no
cold air from the vents. I have not found a mechanic in the area that
has a scanner that can access the body codes portion of my vehicle to
read the codes if there are any nor calibrate the vent doors with the
scanner and the dealer wants 3 hours of dignostic time up front just to
start working on it. I have researched and found that it could be the
actuator motor or the vent doors are sticking or both. Any ideas on
what ot do would be greatly appreciated.