Golf jerking resolution??

Old May 6th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Golf jerking resolution??

Hi I am having problems with my golf, where it randomly keeps jerking,
will lose speed and then jerk again and pick its speed back up. I took
the car down to the local volkswagen garage and they ran a diagnostic
check and picked up the following faults:

1) starter motor needs replacing
2) Exhaust needs replacing
3) Throttle body needs replacing
4) Engine breather needs replacing

They said it was a combination of all the above which was causing the
jerking. That is something i am reluctant to believe, and with my lack
of knowledge of cars i'm not sure which of the above is most likely to
be causing the jerking, as i'm hoping that replacing one of the above
could solve my problems, and save me a lot of money in the porcess, can
anyone help? Also would just cleaning the throttle body, possible
help resolve the problem rather than replacing it?

Thank you

Old May 7th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi I am having problems with my golf, where it randomly keeps jerking,
> will lose speed and then jerk again and pick its speed back up. I took
> the car down to the local volkswagen garage and they ran a diagnostic
> check and picked up the following faults:
>
> 1) starter motor needs replacing
> 2) Exhaust needs replacing
> 3) Throttle body needs replacing
> 4) Engine breather needs replacing
>
> They said it was a combination of all the above which was causing the
> jerking. That is something i am reluctant to believe, and with my lack
> of knowledge of cars i'm not sure which of the above is most likely to
> be causing the jerking, as i'm hoping that replacing one of the above
> could solve my problems, and save me a lot of money in the porcess, can
> anyone help? Also would just cleaning the throttle body, possible
> help resolve the problem rather than replacing it?

Starter motors are used to start the car and that's all. Ain't no way it
could be causing jerking while driving.

Exhaust system is just for exhaust gases to be directed out the back
properly, clean the emissions. Other than providing a certain amount of
backpressure, this wouldn't affect how the car runs, especially not
intermittently.

Throttle body needing replacing...might have a little something to do with
rough running but yes...usually a good cleaning is OK.

Engine breather...what's that? Air filter? I doubt it's the cause though.

Find a different shop. This one is taking you for a ride.

First of all, we can help more if we knew what year you have, what engine it
is. "Golf" isn't enough info.

When does it jerk? When cold, warm-up, or warm? Under a load or all the
time? Uphill, downhill, both? Dry weather or damp weather?

Old May 7th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Would like to know how a starter can fix a jerking issue?????? My 2 cents...
find a REAL VW garage! Or ask them after you have them replace all them
parts and it still jerks do you get a refund$$$$$!

ups.com...