Question about Brakes / Master Cylinder

Old December 14th 04, 03:02 PM

Default Question about Brakes / Master Cylinder

96 Chevrolet C1500 PU 2 wheel drive power brakes, front disc, rear
drum.

Hi All!

My truck evidently had a caliper get stuck and it quickly wore down the
inner brake pad on one wheel. The master cylinder fluid was down to the
bottom of the reservoir, so I wondered if I might have gotten some air
into it. Anyway, I have replaced the front calipers and pads, and used
the gravity method to bleed all four wheels. I inspected the back shoes
and wheel cylinders and they are OK. Now I have good brakes again, but
the pedal travels half the distance to the floor before the brakes
begin to kick in. I think it should have about an inch of travel :-).

So, my question is, if air DID get into the master cylinder, would it
have travelled to the wheels and now be eliminated by the wheel
bleeding, or should I actually bleed it now as part of my brake job? I
checked the master cylinder and it is dry (not externally leaking), it
doesn't bleed down under pressure, and the system is not losing fluid,
so I think the MC is OK.

Thanks,
Libby

Old December 14th 04, 11:11 PM
ed

Shouldnt the master cylinder be full? maybe thats your problem. or am I
misunderstanding?

Old December 14th 04, 11:21 PM
ed

duh. I get it. Dry as in the outside of the MC.
Sounds like a rebleed is needed to me and that you correct that air got in.

Old December 15th 04, 03:41 AM
Libby Chantel

I don't have a helper so tell me more about this one man bleeding kit.
All I could find was a plastic Mity-Vac for $30.00. They also had a kit
that included a hose and a bottle to catch the fluid, but you would
still need a pedal pumper or some way to push / suck the air bubbles
out. I looked at O'Reilly's and Auto Zone.

Old December 15th 04, 01:20 PM
MasterBlaster

"Libby Chantel" wrote

> I don't have a helper so tell me more about this one man bleeding kit.
> All I could find was a plastic Mity-Vac for $30.00. They also had a kit
> that included a hose and a bottle to catch the fluid, but you would
> still need a pedal pumper or some way to push / suck the air bubbles
> out. I looked at O'Reilly's and Auto Zone.

The second one sounds like it. Just a hose that clamps onto the brake
bleeder screw, the other end in the jar. A check valve at the jar end keeps
air from going back up the hose. Attach the hose, open the bleeder screw
a bit, and start pumping. After a few strokes, or 5, or 6... tighten the bleeder,
pop off the hose, and you're done (or move to the next wheel).

Don't forget to check and top-up the master cylinder while you're doing this,
otherwise you'll suck in more air, and have to start all over again.

Old December 16th 04, 03:04 PM
Libby Chantel

Do I need to bleed the MC first or will any air that is in it get
pushed out to the wheels? It is full of fluid.

Old December 17th 04, 02:04 PM
Steve B.

On 16 Dec 2004 06:04:18 -0800, "Libby Chantel"
> wrote:

>Do I need to bleed the MC first or will any air that is in it get
>pushed out to the wheels? It is full of fluid.

Some ABS vehicles have special bleeding procedures if you get air in
the master cylinder. I don't know if yours does or not. If I were
doing this I would probably do a thourough bleed of the four corners
and see what you get.

Steve B.