What is a power steering grease - where to get one?

Old July 20th 05, 02:43 PM
Sam Nickaby

Default What is a power steering grease - where to get one?

I am rebuilding a steering gearbox that was damaged after an accident. I'd
posted earlier topic here http://snipurl.com/gdhs. I have all the seals and
o-rings that I will install. The service manual requires that I use a power
steering grease but the dealer does not know where to get this grease. What
is a compatible grease I can use for the steering gearbox?

Thanks

Old July 20th 05, 04:07 PM

I usually solve these problems by a visit to the local auto parts
store. They usually look it up for me in the maintenance manuals.

I am surprised the service manual does not give the specification or
original part number.

Old July 20th 05, 05:08 PM
butch burton

my 97 accord shop manual from Helms only mentions putting silicone
grease on the boot end of the rack grooves. In several other places
they say to apply grease and use the symbol for the typical hand grease
gun for zerk joints. Also in a couple of places they say to apply
honda PSF to the surfaces.

I hope you have the Helms manual - it is really complete and this is a
complex system.

good luck

Old July 20th 05, 07:31 PM
Comboverfish

Sam Nickaby wrote:
> I am rebuilding a steering gearbox that was damaged after an accident. I'd
> posted earlier topic here http://snipurl.com/gdhs. I have all the seals and
> o-rings that I will install. The service manual requires that I use a power
> steering grease but the dealer does not know where to get this grease. What
> is a compatible grease I can use for the steering gearbox?
>
> Thanks

You can simply coat the seals with Honda P/S fluid - since that is what
they will see for the rest of their lives. Dunk them in a container of
P/S fluid immediately before installation to ensure they stay wet.

You could also use vaseline as an assembly lube; it will dissolve in
the P/S fluid and cause no problem.

Do you have the cone shaped installation tool to stretch the seals onto
the rack end pistons? If not, stretch the seals gently and evenly with
your fingers before *carefully* placing them over the piston.
Disregard if you have an aftermarket seal kit with scarf-cut seals.

Keep in mind that there is a way you can get the high and low pressure
pipes crossed on your Accord. It's not easy, but the same people who
can put in an 1157 bulb backwards can also manage this feat, so be
careful.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old July 25th 05, 11:54 AM
Sam Nickaby

"Sam Nickaby" wrote

> I am rebuilding a steering gearbox that was damaged after an accident. I'd
> posted earlier topic here http://snipurl.com/gdhs. I have all the seals and
> o-rings that I will install. The service manual requires that I use a power
> steering grease but the dealer does not know where to get this grease. What
> is a compatible grease I can use for the steering gearbox?

Help. I have one extra O-ring left unused. There is no where to install it.
Either this is the first time the Helm service manual has made a mistake
or I am not being thorough. I can clearly see that the instructions did not
mention this O-ring but it's drawn on the cover page. Here, take a look.

http://img335.imageshack.us/img335/6964/oring4fj.gif

Is this a print error or is this O-ring suppose to be installed somewhere?

BTW, Thanks for the great advices but still unable to find steering/silicone
grease. I've already completed my assembly (forgot about Vaseline)
instead, I used its original grease.

Old July 26th 05, 02:50 AM
jim beam

Sam Nickaby wrote:
> "Sam Nickaby" wrote
>

>>I am rebuilding a steering gearbox that was damaged after an accident. I'd
>>posted earlier topic here http://snipurl.com/gdhs. I have all the seals and
>>o-rings that I will install. The service manual requires that I use a power
>>steering grease but the dealer does not know where to get this grease. What
>>is a compatible grease I can use for the steering gearbox?

> Help. I have one extra O-ring left unused. There is no where to install it.
> Either this is the first time the Helm service manual has made a mistake
> or I am not being thorough. I can clearly see that the instructions did not
> mention this O-ring but it's drawn on the cover page. Here, take a look.
>
> http://img335.imageshack.us/img335/6964/oring4fj.gif
>
> Is this a print error or is this O-ring suppose to be installed somewhere?
>
> BTW, Thanks for the great advices but still unable to find steering/silicone
> grease. I've already completed my assembly (forgot about Vaseline)
> instead, I used its original grease.

the old grease should be fine. do /not/ use vaseline - it's petroleum
based.

silicone greases are stocked at many online industrial supply stores and
electrical supply stores. a good mechanical grade silicone is "dow
corning 33", but i don't know for sure it's right for this application
because it contains a lithium soap. if going the electrical supply
route, look for "high dielectric" grease. silicone is usually there.

Old July 26th 05, 03:01 AM
TeGGeR®

jim beam > wrote in
:

> Sam Nickaby wrote:
>> "Sam Nickaby" wrote
>>

>>>I am rebuilding a steering gearbox that was damaged after an
>>>accident. I'd posted earlier topic here http://snipurl.com/gdhs. I
>>>have all the seals and o-rings that I will install. The service
>>>manual requires that I use a power steering grease but the dealer
>>>does not know where to get this grease. What is a compatible grease I
>>>can use for the steering gearbox?

>> Help. I have one extra O-ring left unused. There is no where to
>> install it. Either this is the first time the Helm service manual has
>> made a mistake or I am not being thorough. I can clearly see that the
>> instructions did not mention this O-ring but it's drawn on the cover
>> page. Here, take a look.
>>
>> http://img335.imageshack.us/img335/6964/oring4fj.gif
>>
>> Is this a print error or is this O-ring suppose to be installed
>> somewhere?
>>
>> BTW, Thanks for the great advices but still unable to find
>> steering/silicone grease. I've already completed my assembly (forgot
>> about Vaseline) instead, I used its original grease.
>>

> the old grease should be fine. do /not/ use vaseline - it's petroleum
> based.
>
> silicone greases are stocked at many online industrial supply stores
> and electrical supply stores. a good mechanical grade silicone is
> "dow corning 33", but i don't know for sure it's right for this
> application because it contains a lithium soap. if going the
> electrical supply route, look for "high dielectric" grease. silicone
> is usually there.

Zip Slip is good.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old July 27th 05, 12:55 AM
Comboverfish

jim beam wrote:

> the old grease should be fine. do /not/ use vaseline - it's petroleum
> based.

Egad! It might mix with the hydraulic oil (power steering fluid)...
which is also petroleum based. If rack seals were inherently
intolerant to petroleum, they would never last in P/S fluid either.
Vaseline can be used much the same way it has been used forever in
automatic trans rebuilds. It's not necessary if you are careful with
the end seals or use a cone installation tool, but certainly OK. It
melts away at low temps and dissipates in the system much better and
safer than a run-of-the-mill bearing type grease.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old July 27th 05, 05:17 AM
jim beam

Comboverfish wrote:

> jim beam wrote:
>

>>the old grease should be fine. do /not/ use vaseline - it's petroleum
>>based.

> Egad! It might mix with the hydraulic oil (power steering fluid)...
> which is also petroleum based. If rack seals were inherently
> intolerant to petroleum, they would never last in P/S fluid either.
> Vaseline can be used much the same way it has been used forever in
> automatic trans rebuilds. It's not necessary if you are careful with
> the end seals or use a cone installation tool, but certainly OK. It
> melts away at low temps and dissipates in the system much better and
> safer than a run-of-the-mill bearing type grease.
>
> Toyota MDT in MO

well, honda power steering fluid is /not/ compatible with other power
steering fluids - it wrecks seals. i don't know for sure what the
situation is, but if it were a silicone oil rather than a mineral oil,
that could easily account for the manufacturer spec for silicone grease
and would /definitely/ rule out compatibility with vaseline.

Old July 27th 05, 03:51 PM
Comboverfish

jim beam wrote:

> well, honda power steering fluid is
> /not/ compatible with other power
> steering fluids - it wrecks seals.

That's true.

> i don't know for sure what the
> situation is, but if it were a
> silicone oil rather than a mineral oil,

It is a mineral oil based fluid. Most likely the different additive
package is what causes seal incompatibility when non Honda fluid is
used.

> that could easily account for the manufacturer spec for silicone grease
> and would /definitely/ rule out compatibility with vaseline.

I think this whole silicone grease conversation was in reference to the
rack boots. Probably something to help keep the rubber soft over the
years, or possibly to assist in installing the new boots onto the rack
housing -- or to allow them to spin freely vs. twist during toe
adjustment. I couldn't make out exactly what the OP was refering to, I
was just offering a suggestion to keep the very fragile end seals from
getting nicked during installation.

Toyota MDT in MO