Mazda hubcaps rotate and cut valve stems.

Old June 23rd 05, 02:42 PM

Default Mazda hubcaps rotate and cut valve stems.

Hi,

Last fall I had the Mazda dealer replace the tires on my 2002 Protege
lease. Shortly after that, I noticed that the front hubcaps had rotated
(ie. turned on the steel wheel) and bent over the valve stems almost 90
dergrees. Fyi, the rear hubcaps are not spinning on the wheel.

The dealer told me there was some kind of warrany due to hub caps
cracking, so they supplied me with a new set that appeared exactly the
same as the old set. Fyi, I inspected the old hubcaps and I could not
see any cracking.

Several months later, I noticed that these new hub caps had rotated and
either cut through or broke the stem at the base. So I had the stem
replaced at the local garage. I have removed the front hubcaps for now
for the obviuos safety concerns.

The only thing I can even think of is that the new tires are that "V"
design that is supposed to great on water and perhaps they are messing
with the air flow around the wheel and somehow turning the hubcaps. But
since these hubcaps go on nice and tight, I find that scenario hard to
believe.

I spoke to Mazda well over a week ago and they told me that thier tech
people would review my complaint and have the dealer call me. Well, no
calls and I'm not surprised somehow.

Has anyone ever heard of something like this hub cap rotation
happening?

I look forward to your replies.

Regards,
Brcobrem

Old June 23rd 05, 06:17 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

It sounds familiar (though I've never seen it go so far as to cut
hubcaps -- yikes) and might have to do with the hubcap retention
scheme, or with the detail design of the part of the wheels they affix
to, or both.

The kind of hubcaps common on small cars these days, made of plastic
with springy fingers and a sort of tension ring, seldom either last or
stay on in the long run anyway.

A first-generation of Nissan Altima that's still in the family would
outright reject both factory and aftermarket hubcaps. Its owner got
tired of putting twenty-dollar bills in the ditch and instead went for
a nice (and slightly bigger) set of alloy wheels the next time it
needed tires.

If you intend to exercise your purchase option at the end of the lease,
that might make sense. If not, you're putting mags on somebody else's
car. Either way, I'd suggest leaving the hubcaps in the trunk. Never
mind whether they're dangerous in this case. They're functionally
unnecessary; aesthetically debatable, especially considering that
there's usually a decent-looking satin-finish wheel under there; and
prone to go flying off (whereupon you'd get dinged for it at the end
of the lease).

Cheers,
--Joe

Old June 23rd 05, 10:17 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

Incidentally, you might want to tag the hubcaps "defective -- likely to
rotate on wheel when driving and cut into valve stem -- do not use"
before handing the car over to someone else. Assuming the company
doesn't get back to you with a better idea, of course.

Cheers,
--Joe

Old June 23rd 05, 10:27 PM
Nate Nagel

> Hi,
>
> Last fall I had the Mazda dealer replace the tires on my 2002 Protege
> lease. Shortly after that, I noticed that the front hubcaps had rotated
> (ie. turned on the steel wheel) and bent over the valve stems almost 90
> dergrees. Fyi, the rear hubcaps are not spinning on the wheel.
>
> The dealer told me there was some kind of warrany due to hub caps
> cracking, so they supplied me with a new set that appeared exactly the
> same as the old set. Fyi, I inspected the old hubcaps and I could not
> see any cracking.
>
> Several months later, I noticed that these new hub caps had rotated and
> either cut through or broke the stem at the base. So I had the stem
> replaced at the local garage. I have removed the front hubcaps for now
> for the obviuos safety concerns.
>
> The only thing I can even think of is that the new tires are that "V"
> design that is supposed to great on water and perhaps they are messing
> with the air flow around the wheel and somehow turning the hubcaps. But
> since these hubcaps go on nice and tight, I find that scenario hard to
> believe.
>
> I spoke to Mazda well over a week ago and they told me that thier tech
> people would review my complaint and have the dealer call me. Well, no
> calls and I'm not surprised somehow.
>
> Has anyone ever heard of something like this hub cap rotation
> happening?
>
> I look forward to your replies.
>
> Regards,
> Brcobrem

Not sure about on a Mazda, but on an older car, the hubcaps "walking" as
you describe is a sure sign that the wheels themselves are flexing.
Mebbe it's time for some cheap but nice looking aftermarket alloys...?
(or you could find some in the junkyard?)

I would definitely mention this to the dealership and to Mazda NA
though, they ought to know they're producing ****e so they have half a
chance to correct it.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old June 24th 05, 10:16 PM
Brcobrem

Thank you Joe and Nate for your thoughs on this.

I actually did buy the car this month before the lease ended. It's
still under warranty so I can push this at the dealer's if I want too I
suppose.

Alas, as my buddies and I were discussing last night, visiting a car
dealer for any reason is one of the most unpleasant trips we could
think of. On that subject, a visit to http://www.stopautofraud.com/ can
make that experienece a little less one-sided.

While we're on the tire and wheel subject: The new tires were Dunlop's
SP Sport FM901 V Rated High Performance Sport Radial size 195/55R15.
Way more tire than the humble Mazda needed, but the only thing I could
find in that odd-ball "55" OEM profile. On Dunlop's site, it says the
Approved Rim Width is 5.5-7.0 inches. Then it says the Measured Rim
Width is 6 inches. Would that imply that the proper alloy wheel should
be a 6 incher?

Fyi: Tire Size 195/55R15, Approved Rim Width 5.5-7.0, Measured Rim
Width 6, Section Width 7.9, Outside Diameter 23.5, Tread Width 6.9

Once again, I look forward to any replies on this.

Regards,
Brcobrem