Have '89 jeep cherokee engine maybe trade for '92 cherokee engine?

Old May 19th 05, 05:20 AM
chevycruser_03

Default Have '89 jeep cherokee engine maybe trade for '92 cherokee engine?

I need a '92 engine for my '92 cherokee. The one I have is '89 engine and
does not mach up with the computer system. '89 has a new crank sensor

Old May 19th 05, 01:15 PM
Mike Romain

The engines are the same basically so you could just swap over the
electronic parts to the 89.....

I would just swap over the 'engine' and leave the intake and exhaust
headers including the fuel rail, distributor and parts and alternator
from the 92 in there.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 20th 05, 09:52 AM
Will Honea

The intake and exhaust aren't the same. The 92 used the HO head and
the mainfold/headers won't match up. Just looking at my 88 next to
the son's 91, nearly everything else will swap. I looked at this idea
a couple of years ago and decided that the only really easy way was to
swap heads onto the good block.

--
Will Honea
Old May 20th 05, 01:49 PM
Mike Romain

Ahh ok, good to know, thanks. I knew the ports were different but
didn't know the headers were. So only the short block will swap then.

Man I got this 258 with a new crank sitting in my garage and an 88 4.0
getting tired..... Stroker, mmmmm......

Mike

Old May 20th 05, 10:06 PM
Will Honea

The HO intake manifold is a whole lot nicer. The flow geometry is
nice and symetrical. Between that and the port angles they got a bunch
of ponies to add to the 4.0. Not that I would sneer at the umph of
the '88 head on a 258 block...

--
Will Honea
Old May 21st 05, 01:18 AM
Mike Romain

I am thinking the guts of the 258 into the 4.0 block making it something
like a 4.7 'stroker'. :-)

It would be worth it to just swap the short block for the OP then eh.
Keep the head and intakes and swap from there down. Even if the head
needed a valve job, that isn't much.

Mike

Old May 21st 05, 03:35 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Will,
Can you tell me if the '88 frog injection looks like it fits the
regular 258" head where intake, and larger exhaust ports and manifolds
are in align?
http://web.archive.org/web/200210011...inder_head.jpg
Rather staggered like the 4.0L:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/en...adconv/146.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 21st 05, 08:37 AM
Will Honea

Old gray matter getting confused, sorry. Are you talking about your
setup or what? I don't remember what the bore on the 258 is. Is the
displacement difference only in the longer stroke of the 258 or does
it have a different bore than the 4.0?

For the OP, he would want the '92 head/intake/exhaust plus sensors on
the 88 block - with the '92 computer.

For your glass-tub and the engine from the XJ, you would need the
matching computer also. Better check me on this, but somewhere in the
back of my head ISTR a discussion a long while back about also needing
a different injector with the stroker. Seems like it was off a
Mustang or some such to get a higher fuel flow capacity.

--
Will Honea
Old May 21st 05, 08:50 AM
Will Honea

Sure can't, Bill. I've never laid a 258 head alongside a 4.0 head.
You can see the difference between the 88 and the newer HO with the
vehicles sitting side-by-side but I've never looked at 258 that way.
When I was looking, I had a line on a wrecked 91 XJ with under 45k on
the clock but I was too new at this to really realize the power
difference and figured it was more work than it was worth to swap
stuff around. Looking back...

On Sat, 21 May 2005 02:35:13 UTC L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

--
Will Honea