Changing P/S, A/C belt on '93 Mazda Protege'?

Old July 28th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
coldje

Default Changing P/S, A/C belt on '93 Mazda Protege'?

I'm trying to change the belts on a 1993 Mazda Protege' LX with the
1.8L DOHC engine. It has P/S and A/C. The first belt to remove is the
one that goes around the P/S, A/C and crankshaft pulley. I've loosened
the two locknuts (one on the Adjuster and one on the P/S pump). I've
also loosened the bolt where the P/S pump looks like it pivots. The
bolt on the end of the adjuster is also loosened. The belt doesn't
seem to be getting any slacker. Ideas?

Old July 29th 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
coldje

I figured it out. I needed to loosen the Adjuster quite a bit more and
then the
P/S pump *just barely* tilts towards the front of the car to loosen the
belt enough
to get it off the pulleys.

Old July 31st 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
karma

I wonder if this is the same on my 93 DX with a SOHC? I am trying to
replace the same belt, and cannot seem to get the belt off. I seen o
belt tensioner, so what gives?