head bolts on 90 accord 2.2

Old May 15th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default head bolts on 90 accord 2.2

Hi, we had a valve job done on this motor (2.2L F22A 4 block), burned valve
from leaky valve stem seals. Other compression numbers were consistent.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the head bolts. It is an "open deck"
type of motor which usually require TTY bolts according to the shop, however,
the specifications just list a normal 3 stage torque with no final angle as
would be listed for a TTY. The bolts that came out look normal and one is
longer than the others. Can I clean up and reuse these bolts or do I need to
buy another set? And can anyone tell me if they go through the jacket or not.

My usual approach is to run the threads through a die, tap and clean the block
holes, and use 5W-30 oil on the bolt threads and between the bolt head and
washer when installing.

I am using a Felpro aftermarket gasket, both it and the OEM are MLS type. I am
using the aftermarket because supposedly it tolerates a rougher finish than the
OEM. Any comments on that are welcome since this motor is new to me.

Old May 16th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Replace the bolts. TTY bolts are one time use.

--
Steve W.
Life is not like a box of chocolates

Old May 16th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Steve W. wrote:
> Replace the bolts. TTY bolts are one time use.

I don't believe you read my post. I was *asking* whether or not they
are TTY, and if so, why the torque specifications would not include an
angle.

Old May 16th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

OK, so I have two confirmations on the honda group that the head bolts
are not TTY. I guess this motor is just an odd duck.