2005 Magnum RT AWD performance...

Old October 21st 04, 04:45 PM
Jack Carter

I used to do a LOT of drag racing myself at local strips. One of the road
tests I recently read for the RT quoted a 0-60 time of 7.1 seconds. (The
writer said it seemed "sluggish" coming off the line and that there were
times when it didn't feel like it had 340hp.) But I just got a Road & Track
that says 6.1. Don't know who to believe. I'm going to drive one this
afternoon so I'll have a better idea of how it might run after that.

"Wicked96SS" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Jack Carter wrote:
>
> > I don't know where you got your GC weight figure but it sounds far too

high!
> > I have an '04 GC with the HO V8 and have tested it several times with a
> > G-Tech Pro performance meter. It breaks seven seconds from 0-60
> > consistently. The GC seems to have a very high RPM stall torque

converter
> > and, as a result, really flies off the line. I'm getting faster times

from
> > my '04 that the 5.7 liter 98 that I used to have.

> It may sound high, but I saw that figure on several websites, and Edmunds
> has the vehicle listed at 6100 pounds.
>
> As for sub 7 second 0-60, that is impressive for an SUV! But I have also
> read several
> instances whre 0-60's in the Dodge Magnum RT were 6.1 seconds, with a 14.6
> second quarter mile. As a drag racer, to put it in perspective, at those
> times and speeds, .9 seconds difference (assuming that the Jeep could keep
> up) is about 9 car lengths, substancially faster.
>
> Again, I would really like to see some actual numbers, and not just
> guessing on what the AWD RT would do... I have a feeling it would be
> slightly faster than the Jeep.... although I don't have any facts to back
> this up.
>
> Thanks!

HO V8

> > have

the
> > AWD

> > from

it
> > would

> > > Do you have any numbers to back that up? I did a little research, and

the

Old October 21st 04, 05:21 PM
Wicked96SS

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Jack Carter wrote:

> I used to do a LOT of drag racing myself at local strips. One of the road
> tests I recently read for the RT quoted a 0-60 time of 7.1 seconds. (The
> writer said it seemed "sluggish" coming off the line and that there were
> times when it didn't feel like it had 340hp.) But I just got a Road & Track
> that says 6.1. Don't know who to believe. I'm going to drive one this
> afternoon so I'll have a better idea of how it might run after that.

What source do you have for the 7.1 second 0-60? I would really like to
read about that. Every review I have read online have put the 0-60 from
6.0 to 6.3, but nothing slower. Granted I have only read a dozen or so
reviews.

I have gotten some good data about the torque curve of the engine as well
as the gear ratios in the transmission, and have run some numbers using
Desktop Dyno and Desktop Dragstrip and it gave similar results as to what
the reviews I have read said. Of course, I don't have all the variables,
and the software has a tendancy to be a bit "optimistic" if you don't know
how to set it up... but it predicted a 14.6 @ 97 MPH quarter mile out of a
stock RWD Dodge Magnum.

Again, this is very unscientific, and making a lot of assumptions, but I
would believe it, on a good day, it could do that.

Still, a very sharp looking car!

Thanks!
Wicked96SS

Old October 21st 04, 05:21 PM
Wicked96SS

Old October 22nd 04, 10:42 PM
Jack Carter

Well, I drove one yesterday. And, counting me, there were four people in it.
It felt good. I think my GC would give it some competetion up to about 50.
Just out of curiosity, I asked them how much to trade. My GC is an '04
Limited with 3K miles on it, has all of the options except GPS and
window-stickered for close to $39K. The RT had a window sticker of $33K
even. Are you ready??! They'd "put me in it" for a mere $10K difference!!!!

Old October 22nd 04, 10:42 PM
Jack Carter

Old October 23rd 04, 12:30 AM
James C. Reeves

Keep the '04 GC.

Old October 23rd 04, 12:30 AM
James C. Reeves

Old October 23rd 04, 03:23 PM
Wicked96SS

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Jack Carter wrote:

> Well, I drove one yesterday. And, counting me, there were four people in it.
> It felt good. I think my GC would give it some competetion up to about 50.
> Just out of curiosity, I asked them how much to trade. My GC is an '04
> Limited with 3K miles on it, has all of the options except GPS and
> window-stickered for close to $39K. The RT had a window sticker of $33K
> even. Are you ready??! They'd "put me in it" for a mere $10K difference!!!!

I would research that deal a bit, check out Edmunds, should give you a
good idea what the trade in value of your car is worth (although, you
probably already know that).

I think it comes down to preference, I really really like the looks of the
Magnum. If it were me, and that was a fair deal, I would probably go for
it... but then again, that's me..

thanks for the report! I was going to try to test drive one today, to see
what it was like as well. I am still very interested in the AWD version.

Thanks!

Old October 23rd 04, 03:23 PM
Wicked96SS

Old October 24th 04, 10:38 PM