world's heaviest flywheel?

Old March 7th 05, 04:09 PM
rgb

Default world's heaviest flywheel?

Just took delivery of a 05 wrangler x, manual transmission. After
driving it about 50 miles, I noticed what felt like a stuck throttle
when letting off the accelerator in 2nd or 3rd at 3400 rpm or so. I
checked under the hood and the problem is not with the throttle return
- it returns promptly. But the engine continues at high rpm for a
second or two before slowing. My guess is a poor choice of engine
management logic in the factory chip - or the world's heaviest
flywheel.

I took the car in to a dealer on Saturday. No tech on duty, but a
salesman drove the car and told me it was normal behavior. I sure hope
he is wrong. I strongly dislike the sluggish response - when I let off
the gas, I want instant slowing.

Is this slushmobile performance normal for a 05 wrangler?

Old March 7th 05, 06:39 PM
Steve Foley

If the salesman says it's normal. ask him to demonstrate it in another
vehicle.

ps.com...

Old March 7th 05, 07:46 PM
rgb

I just had the problem looked at by the tech at the dealer. He agreed
on the behavior, but said it was "normal" for the 6 speed models. His
guess was that it was a work-around for a problem with the
transmissions, a way to hold the rpm up on upshifts. A ****-poor
engineering choice in my opinion (and his). Instead of fixing the
problem, they made the throttle stick!!??

Does anyone know of a solution?

Old March 7th 05, 10:31 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Yup, every car with electronic fuel injection and computer, since
the early eighties will not let us use engine braking, at least for the
first three or four seconds. It's apart of the EPA's fight for better
mileage, in that there are many people that constantly vary their
accelerator position, screwing up there mileage. If you see a cop in
your rearview mirror pull her down into second gear to quickly slow down
rather than tip the cop we're running twenty over by touching our stop
lights. Or put a plate under the step motor, pictured #2:
http://members.cox.net/wilsond/tb/tb.html and use the hidden idle stop,
as I do. Or reprogram it using a DRB-III:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WD1V
Or Aftermarket: http://miller.spx.com/data/DC02-07A.pdf
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 7th 05, 10:51 PM
Dave Milne

?? My TJ doesn't behave like that, not has any fuel injection car I have
ever driven.
In fact, the TJ is almost notorious for it's bouncy throttle...

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old March 7th 05, 11:24 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

It would, if the Environmental Protection Agency had any authority
in your country. Looking at your buildings, that may not be a bad idea.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 8th 05, 01:00 AM
Derrick Hudson

On 7 Mar 2005 10:46:43 -0800, rgb wrote:
> I just had the problem looked at by the tech at the dealer. He agreed
> on the behavior, but said it was "normal" for the 6 speed models.

Hmm, I'll have to see if I notice the same thing on my way home
tonight. So far (2500 miles) I haven't had any complaints about my
05's handling.

-D

--
If you want to know what God thinks about money,
just look at the people He gives it to.

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/ jabber:
Old March 8th 05, 01:25 AM
DougW

Derrick Hudson did pass the time by typing:
> On 7 Mar 2005 10:46:43 -0800, rgb wrote:
>> I just had the problem looked at by the tech at the dealer. He agreed
>> on the behavior, but said it was "normal" for the 6 speed models.

> Hmm, I'll have to see if I notice the same thing on my way home
> tonight. So far (2500 miles) I haven't had any complaints about my
> 05's handling.

Worlds heaviest flywheel.
http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/bigassdiesel.jpg
Also the worlds largest diesel engine.

--
DougW

Old March 8th 05, 01:43 AM
Dave Milne

your buildings can't stay up long enough to get dirty :-)

Old March 8th 05, 02:39 AM
Jerry Bransford

Bull.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:
> Yup, every car with electronic fuel injection and computer, since
> the early eighties will not let us use engine braking, at least for the
> first three or four seconds. It's apart of the EPA's fight for better
> mileage, in that there are many people that constantly vary their
> accelerator position, screwing up there mileage. If you see a cop in
> your rearview mirror pull her down into second gear to quickly slow down
> rather than tip the cop we're running twenty over by touching our stop
> lights. Or put a plate under the step motor, pictured #2:
> http://members.cox.net/wilsond/tb/tb.html and use the hidden idle stop,
> as I do. Or reprogram it using a DRB-III:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WD1V
> Or Aftermarket: http://miller.spx.com/data/DC02-07A.pdf
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/
>
> rgb wrote:
>
>>I just had the problem looked at by the tech at the dealer. He agreed
>>on the behavior, but said it was "normal" for the 6 speed models. His
>>guess was that it was a work-around for a problem with the
>>transmissions, a way to hold the rpm up on upshifts. A ****-poor
>>engineering choice in my opinion (and his). Instead of fixing the
>>problem, they made the throttle stick!!??
>>
>>Does anyone know of a solution?

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY