Shifter Rod Bushing

Old February 6th 05, 06:44 PM
Randall Brink

Default Shifter Rod Bushing

Another problem...

After reading and assimilating all the advice and a hoard of postings on
shifter rod bushing replacement, I went to start the job and found that
there is a solid oval (non-removable) plate over the hole in the fromt apron
of my 1970 Beetle where one would remove the shifter rod.

Is this normal, and therefore there is another way to do it?

Randall Brink

Old February 6th 05, 06:54 PM
Jan Andersson

Randall Brink wrote:

> Another problem...
>
> After reading and assimilating all the advice and a hoard of postings on
> shifter rod bushing replacement, I went to start the job and found that
> there is a solid oval (non-removable) plate over the hole in the fromt apron
> of my 1970 Beetle where one would remove the shifter rod.
>
> Is this normal, and therefore there is another way to do it?
>
> Randall Brink

The plate in the outer skin, the apron itself, is attached by one 10mm
or 8mm nut from the inside. Pops right out when you remove the nut.
Another plate is located right opposite of it, below the windshield
washer reservoir "shelve". A third plate is at the end of the tunnel,
between axle tubes. (two 10mm bolts)

The bolt & nut sizes here refer to the outer size.. i.e. Wrench/socket
size.

Jan
Old February 6th 05, 07:04 PM
Randall Brink

Jan,

Thanks. I think it looks unremovable because it was painted over. I will
proceed.

Randall Brink