jeep 4L oil pressure

Old June 30th 05, 08:32 PM
ansky

Default jeep 4L oil pressure

171,000 mi. on 96 4L. Oil pressure drop too 0 after 4 or 5 mi. of running
at 60mph then stopping. I just replaced the oil pump and still have the
same problem, only worse now. It is an aftermarket pump, could I have just
installed a bad pump?

Old June 30th 05, 08:42 PM
Earle Horton

Oil pressure depends on pump quality and bearing clearance both. If you put
a new pump on an engine with bad bearings, then you didn't help yourself
much. Did you check the accuracy of the oil gauge before installing the new
pump? Isolated oil pump failures are rare, because the pump is the best
lubricated part of the engine. They do happen, of course, but they are
rare.

Earle

lkaboutautos.com...

Old June 30th 05, 08:58 PM
ansky

Thank you Earle. I was thinking that was the problem but, I was in denial
and hopping for another answer.

Old June 30th 05, 09:27 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Verify the oil pressure with a Real gauge, like all Hot Rodders use
aftermarket sets by Stewart Warner: http://www.stewartwarner.com/ or
Auto Meter: http://www.autometer.com/
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 30th 05, 09:31 PM
Jeff Strickland

I'm with Earle on this one, but with a caveat.

The oil pressure sending unit could be a problem area that you should look
at before you go in search of the bad bearings. The sending unit uses a
variable resistor of some sort mounted to a diaphram. The diaphram can get a
hole in it, and give strange oil pressure readings. It is common for the oil
pressure to drop at idle, then come back as the engine speeds pick up, but I
don't think that a drop all of the way to zero is right.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old June 30th 05, 10:24 PM
Mike Romain

Well, if it really goes to 0 at idle, you will 'hear' about it. The
valves will start clacking really fast.

Usually that trouble is the sending unit above the oil filter. They are
poor quality and fail lots. The fact it got worse also implies the
sender is fast going dead.

Second is a main bearing, but again if you have mains that bad, you
should be able to hear a knock or rumble vibration at idle.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 2nd 05, 02:03 PM
Jeep

My '95 ZJ does the same thing and has for a couple years...I've jus been to
cheap and lazy to change the sensor...one of these days!
kinda freaks u out for the first while watching the gauge drop off to
zero...
Jeff
'03 TJ & '95 ZJ

Old July 3rd 05, 04:58 AM
Cal

Is there a 't' fitting for mechanical oil gauges? ( To be able to leave the
original sender attached, and attach the line for a mechanical gauge?) I
would have attached a mechanical pressure gauge long ago on my son's
wrangler, but haven't done so because of the computer turning on the 'check
gauges' light and sounding a tone when the pressure sender is disconnected.

thanks!

cal

lkaboutautos.com...

Old July 3rd 05, 05:04 AM
DougW

Cal did pass the time by typing:
> Is there a 't' fitting for mechanical oil gauges? ( To be able to leave the
> original sender attached, and attach the line for a mechanical gauge?) I
> would have attached a mechanical pressure gauge long ago on my son's
> wrangler, but haven't done so because of the computer turning on the 'check
> gauges' light and sounding a tone when the pressure sender is disconnected.

Any brass T fitting that has the right threads will work.

--
DougW

Old July 3rd 05, 05:04 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Where there's a will there's a "T" fitting.
http://www.stewartwarner.com/ http://www.autometer.com/
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Cal wrote:

> Is there a 't' fitting for mechanical oil gauges? ( To be able to leave the
> original sender attached, and attach the line for a mechanical gauge?) I
> would have attached a mechanical pressure gauge long ago on my son's
> wrangler, but haven't done so because of the computer turning on the 'check
> gauges' light and sounding a tone when the pressure sender is disconnected.
>
> thanks!
>
> cal

Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi in UK Dori A Schmetterling Chrysler 4 June 2nd 05 10:22 PM
What is a TJ? Brian Foster Jeep 23 January 22nd 05 06:06 AM
Jeep VS others Elliot Westcott Chrysler 64 December 19th 04 02:22 PM