Free gas lures stupid drivers

Old July 13th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

Default Free gas lures stupid drivers

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/12/fre....ap/index.html

>Gas giveaway leaves a few drivers fuming
>
>But most wait patiently -- for hours -- to score free tank

And, apparently, most are not capable of doing a cost-benefit analysis.
Old July 13th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Arif Khokar wrote:
> http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/12/fre....ap/index.html
>
> >Gas giveaway leaves a few drivers fuming
> >
> >But most wait patiently -- for hours -- to score free tank

> And, apparently, most are not capable of doing a cost-benefit analysis.

"The two crashes apparently occurred when queued-up motorists tried to
let friends into line, Schwartz said."

Hell, it was bad enough trying to _buy_ gasoline at $3.069 on sunday.
People were cutting others off to get to pumps etc. I was lined up for a
pump waiting for the guy to leave with this old fart in a big caddy
comes from the other side of the station and nearly hits my car cutting
in. Turns out he was buddies with the guy getting gas who didn't move
his minivan further than it took to get the caddy's fuel door with in
reach of the hose. Mind you, I'm waiting in a parking place right by the
pump. All mr. caddy had to do was wait in that parking place, if he
truely was at the station before me as claimed. I just went for another
pump... filled up and was leaving and mr. caddy was still filling up.

Old July 13th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

> Scott en Aztlán said in rec.autos.driving:
> Not only will these geniuses blow off several hours of work to stand
> in line for $30 worth of gasoline, but in so doing they will disrupt
> traffic for thousands of other drivers, reducing those people's
> productivity as well.

Another question would be how much gas is burned (i.e. wasted) while
waiting in these lines? ISTM that alot of gas is being wasted either
idling while waiting in line or in starting the engine to lurch forward
a few feet when the line does move and then shutting the engine down
again (to say nothing of the wear on the engine itself).

Oh, well, I guess that since the gas is free, these losers think they
are getting away with something.

There sometimes when I honestly believe that you could put out a rack
loaded with bags full of free dog **** and people would snap them up
simply because they were free....

--
'And then we wonder why the UFO's won't