97 Cherokee has bitten the dust

Old March 16th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 97 Cherokee has bitten the dust

My son, a 3rd year student at Montana U. has / had a '97 Cherokee
Country with all the bells and whistles. While trying to help someone
out of a ditch on an icy snowy road the jeep was smashed by a diesel
rig. As you may expect, it was totalled by the insurance company.

What should I look for as a fair market price for the jeep? It was in
good shape with upgraded rims and a brand new set of BFG KO's, had
power everything and the factory tow package, leather seats, etc. as
well as a six month old paint job. It had about 106k miles on it.

I live in SoCal so I think that is what they are using for the
location to set fair market value. I tried looking through the
autotrader but there wasn't a really comparable match for about 1200
miles from me.

Old March 17th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Remember to prepare a detailed inventory and get extra value for extras
like the new paint job, rims, KOs, trailer hitch, etc. Also get sales
tax on the final price since you will have to pay it on the
replacement. Another site is edmunds.com. Remember you are buying at
full dealer retail not trade-in or private sale.

Hope you son wasn't injured.

Old March 17th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

One of the more important things you will need is the receipts for
everything you have done to the vehicle in the last 6 months to a year. If I
remember correctly, anything over 6 months old is not considered "new"
Then, go to the newspapers, Kelly Blue Book, Edmunds and the internet and
see what they are selling for.You could even try Ebay or maybe Carmax or
those other outfits.
Print all of this material out.
Go to a couple of local dealerships and have them do a printout on what they
would sell the vehicle for.

Having had three kids kill multiple vehicles (seriously - it was a slaughter
there for a couple of years) I can speak with the voice of experience, you
WILL need to do this research and present the top half dozen or the
insurance company may try to lowball you on the rig.

OH! If it was messy inside, get to it before the insurance adjuster sees it
and clean it up. Believe it or not, it makes a difference.

Hope your son is ok.

Kate

:

Old March 17th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

One other thing!
You say that you cannot find one (more or less) one like it nearby. One of
our vehicles, it was a "hard to get" vehicle because of it's popularity at
that time.
Believe it or not, they paid the going price, not the book price and it was
more than the car was worth. Even though it had 200k miles on it, it was in
great condition. It may be that yours could fall into that group in that it
cannot be readily replaced. This matters when placing value on a vehicle.
The idea is to replace it with LKQ (Like Kind & Quality) and you may have to
bump heads a bit. Particularly if the trucking company is paying. They can
be REAL sunsabitches when they damage a vehicle.

Kate

Old March 17th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

State law where the accident occured makes all the difference, for instance,
in Washington, they can't total a third party's (that would be your son)
vehicle without consent. A woman pulled out in front of me hauling a horse
trailer while I was doing the speed limit, and told the Cop that not only
was it her fault, but that she "should have been wearing her glasses". I got
$6500 to repair a 76 Goldwing that cost me $1000 (plus a lot of work and
parts), and fixed it for free with spare parts from donor bikes I already
had. It only "blue-booked" at about $850, but I had restored it a few months
ahead, won a "best foreign dresser" award recently, and was on the last leg
of a 5000 mile trip. The $6500 figure was a Honda Dealer's estimate to
repair the bike to it's excellent former condition, and they complimented me
on the work I had done. It is in the garage waiting for the snow to melt.
In California, they pay the lesser of replacement value or repair.
I bought my wife an 85 BMW with new paint and a bad auto trans, and rebuilt
the tranmission, suspension, engine, brakes, etc and made it a fine car. It
got T-boned in California by a woman who admitted fault, and her insurance,
Farmers, looked in Autotrader and offered $3800. My state licensed
independant appraiser evaluated the car at $9100. Farmer's wont negotiate,
so I am suing the driver of the vehicle in small claims in a couple of weeks
for the maximum of $7500. I have much documentation and am confident of a
win. I'll bet she isn't happy with her insurance company now!

Bottom line, Check the laws for Montana, Talk to an insurance agent who is
IN Montana, not of a company involved in your son's accident , and check to
see if Montana state code is available online. I would bet that Montanans
have better protection from insurance companies than Californians.
--
Stupendous Man,

Old March 17th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

In article >,
Stupendous Man > wrote:
#the tranmission, suspension, engine, brakes, etc and made it a fine car. It
#got T-boned in California by a woman who admitted fault, and her insurance,
#Farmers, looked in Autotrader and offered $3800. My state licensed
#independant appraiser evaluated the car at $9100. Farmer's wont negotiate,
#so I am suing the driver of the vehicle in small claims in a couple of weeks
#for the maximum of $7500. I have much documentation and am confident of a
#win. I'll bet she isn't happy with her insurance company now!
Well, Farmer's is still on the hook for the lawsuit's results up to the
limit in the coverage. They (and that is ANY CA insurace company) just
figure that most people will just take the money and STFU. It's their
response to CA's insurance laws. CA tries to screw the insurance co.s
and they turn around and try to screw the people they insure. The
smarter companies pulled out of the CA market ages ago or set up a shell
company to insulate the main company from CA's laws.

#Bottom line, Check the laws for Montana, Talk to an insurance agent who is
#IN Montana, not of a company involved in your son's accident , and check to
#see if Montana state code is available online. I would bet that Montanans
#have better protection from insurance companies than Californians.
One would hope. CA sucks for a reason.

/herb
Old March 17th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

What Kate said.

A lady in an RX7 clobbered my old 4wd truck in early December some years
back. At the start of snow season, trucks were scarce, what was left was
either expensive or junk. I found one 'comparable' seaching 54 (!!!
count'em) used car dealers. Insurance company paid based on the full
price of the one I found. Very little snow that winter, prices dropped
by at least 20% in the next couple of months. Which put them back to the
usual blue book prices.

Do your homework, plan on bumping heads a bit.