non-interrupted tv on bmw x3 ?

Old March 16th 06, 08:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default non-interrupted tv on bmw x3 ?

The tv in my bmw x3 is interrupted automatically, if I drive faster
than 5 km/h or so. To tell the truth: I don't like that...
So my question is:
Is there any possibility to disable this velocity-controlled tv
interruption? Any hint? Any practical experience?

Thanks for any hint,
rudel stricker
Old March 16th 06, 09:26 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"rudolf stricker" > wrote in message

> The tv in my bmw x3 is interrupted automatically, if I drive faster
> than 5 km/h or so. To tell the truth: I don't like that...

"You don't lke that?" Tough ****! You want to watch TV, stay at home. You
want to drive, listen to the radio instead.
Your attention should be on the fu%&*ng road, not the TV.

> So my question is:
> Is there any possibility to disable this velocity-controlled tv
> interruption? Any hint? Any practical experience?

Not a hope in hell, especially asking a question like this on this
newsgroup.

JB.

(oh, and by the way, if you think I've been a bit harsh in my reply to you,
just wait until you get some 'feedback' form the less restrained regulars on
here!)

Old March 16th 06, 11:42 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"rudolf stricker" > wrote in message

> The tv in my bmw x3 is interrupted automatically, if I drive faster
> than 5 km/h or so. To tell the truth: I don't like that...
> So my question is:
> Is there any possibility to disable this velocity-controlled tv

Not inthe UK, or I hope Europe.

> interruption? Any hint? Any practical experience?

Yes. I once got a taxi from an airport in France* into the city. I had had
drivers operating their taxi base from the cab, apparently without incident,
but this time the driver was watching football on an approx 10cm TV on the
dashboard. I was concerned.

The second time we ran through a red light on a major intersection
(unintentionaly it appeared, but one can never be sure in France), and
narrowly avoided high speed collision with other vehicles, there was quite
an argument, and the TV was switched off for the rest of the trip.

> Thanks for any hint,
> rudel stricker
> --
> | Disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly his own.

Dangerous drivers in France are sentenced to community punishments of
driving round the Boulevard Periphique for a set number of hours instead of
prison. Or so it seemed whenever I had the misfortune to travel on it.
Really bad cases appeared to get the privilege of driving the Air France
buses I had regularly to use to get to/from Orly <-> CDG.

Old March 17th 06, 11:10 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Another one who would like to watch TV while driving.

I am surprised the TV doesn't switch off at 1 km/h.

DAS

---

Old March 17th 06, 11:27 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"rudolf stricker" > wrote in message

> The tv in my bmw x3 is interrupted automatically, if I drive faster
> than 5 km/h or so. To tell the truth: I don't like that...
> So my question is:
> Is there any possibility to disable this velocity-controlled tv
> interruption? Any hint? Any practical experience?

Oh no - another TV flamfest to come...

---
Sam

Old March 17th 06, 11:28 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message
> Another one who would like to watch TV while driving.
>
> I am surprised the TV doesn't switch off at 1 km/h.
>
> DAS

Yes it's a bit unusual. I have an 05 Z4 and it switches off as soon as you
move.

---
Sam

Old March 17th 06, 01:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:10:10 -0000, "Dori A Schmetterling"
> wrote:

>Another one who would like to watch TV while driving.
>
>I am surprised the TV doesn't switch off at 1 km/h.

On my UK E39 M5 (with factory fitted TV), the TV is linked to the hand
brake and only displays a picture when the hand brake is applied, so
effectively setting a limit of 0 km/h (or 0 mph where I live!) You can
still listen to the TV sound when moving, which can occasionally be
useful (e.g., for news or sports broadcasts) and is no different to
listening to the radio.

To the Original Poster: if you do find some misguided moron who will
alter your TV to work while in motion, please don't forget to inform
your insurance company of this modification to your vehicle.

--
Philip

[Don't top post. Quote selectively. Don't use HTML. Enjoy Usenet]
Old March 17th 06, 09:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

You expect everyone to keep quiet in the face of such a (expletive deleted)
question?

:-)
DAS

---

Old March 31st 06, 05:31 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

rudolf stricker wrote:
> Thanks for all the flaming answers. Of course I'm aware of the
> difficulties to split attention appropriately, when driving with tv.
> But imo it can be done, without any fundamental risk: it just has to
> be trained (like e.g. pilots do).

Pilots rarely are in close proximity to other vehicles. Your opinion
notwithstanding, as a BMW club driving instructor, I've learned that
the human brain only has available a limited number of 'handles' for
short term memory. Maybe seven things at a time can be in your mind at
your immediate attention. When too many inputs appear, something must
get 'dumped' from your human RAM. TV is at least three inputs by
itself (video, audio, and analysis of that combination). That leaves
you with four devoted to driving. Not enough, IMHO.

> On the other hand, even normal
> conversation can catch the drivers attention, resulting in a
> fundamental additional risk.

No one says that isn't also dangerous. I've been known to turn off the
radio and tell my wife, "You can talk, but I'm not listening; I have to
drive now." entering fast heavy traffic typically found in Chicago.

> So imo we should have less regulations
> and more personal responsibility...

Personal responsibility does not change your physiological abilities,
no matter how much you'd like it to. Accept that you're human and that
you shouldn't be watching TV while driving.

> Thanks, rudolf stricker
> (with driving practice e.g. in Rome, Paris, London, Munich, Athens...,

Of those, I've only got Roma & München, but I can add Frankfurt,
Napoli, the Amalfi coast, and the outskirts of Torino in Europe, the
Eastern US from Boston to D.C. (the dreaded 'BoNYWash Corridor'),
Philadelphia, Cleveland, Chicago, Miami, Daytona, Houston, Dallas-Fort
Worth, Toronto, Montreal, Oaxaca, Merida, and Mexico City. Also the
Italian, Swiss, and Bavarian Alps, the Rockies, and the Appalachians
(where I grew up). In none of those places would I have wished to be
able to watch TV while driving.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there done that)