Team Driving - Rule of Thumb - Do you agree?

Old March 17th 05, 01:48 PM
WENW

Default Team Driving - Rule of Thumb - Do you agree?

Don't you find it irritating when driver's think that they are -or seem to
forget that they are not- the only one on the road and they completely mess
up your flow or momentum (not to mention causing a traffic jam)? If these
drivers only followed this rule of thumb: NEVER BREAK UP THE FLOW OF
TRAFFIC. Here's a few specific reminders to help keep the flow going...

1a) When merging onto a freeway, highway, expressway, etc., always make
plans EARLY as to where you will position yourself in traffic.
1b) When merging with other vehicles onto the freeway, give yourself enough
space between you and the merging vehicle ahead of you so that it doesn't
slow down freeway traffic by having the traffic modify their speed in order
to allow a block of vehicles to merge (i.e. so the vehicles already on the
freeway can let you in without slowing down the flow of traffic).

2a) If you are on the freeway, it is best to stay out of the far right lane
until you are a half mile (up to a mile, depending upon traffic) from your
exit. This way merging vehicles will not affect your flow, and they can
merge freely without negotiating with other cars while their merging.
2b) If you find yourself in the far right lane next to an onramp, try to
offset your position from the merging vehicles.
2c) Make a point, when at all possible, to avoid being side-by-side with
another vehicle in case you have to manuver in a panic situation or simply
if the driver next to you wants to get over all of a sudden. Also when
changing lanes, again, when at all possible, try to give yourself a two-lane
cushion from other cars so that you don't get caught changing lanes into the
same lane as another vehicle two lanes over from you.

3a) When making a turn, make the turn as promply as is safe to do so (even
if you're not sure where you are going), so that you don't mess up the
momentum of the vehicles behind you that may be trying to make the next
light or series of lights that are timed in sequence.
3b) When turning onto a busy street, make sure you give yourself enough
time to accellerate up to speed before the coming vehicle arrives, thus not
disturbing the coming vehicle's momemtum and the flow of traffic on the
street.

As you know, there are pleanty of other driver errors that can effect the
flow, but these are the types that came to mind from one recent normal day
of driving.

We are all guilty of mistakes in our driving, especially nowadays with the
added distractions of cell phones, but the more aware we are of our
participation in keeping the flow of traffic running smoothly, the less
provocation to incite drivers to be aggressive on the road.

Old March 17th 05, 02:59 PM
The Office Jet

I think all of those sound good. Everyone has to adjust though and
following those rules will not always be applicable, or at times safe.
They are good guidelines though.

Old March 18th 05, 01:44 AM
Nate Nagel

WENW wrote:

> Don't you find it irritating when driver's think that they are -or seem to
> forget that they are not- the only one on the road and they completely mess
> up your flow or momentum (not to mention causing a traffic jam)? If these
> drivers only followed this rule of thumb: NEVER BREAK UP THE FLOW OF
> TRAFFIC. Here's a few specific reminders to help keep the flow going...
>
> 1a) When merging onto a freeway, highway, expressway, etc., always make
> plans EARLY as to where you will position yourself in traffic.
> 1b) When merging with other vehicles onto the freeway, give yourself enough
> space between you and the merging vehicle ahead of you so that it doesn't
> slow down freeway traffic by having the traffic modify their speed in order
> to allow a block of vehicles to merge (i.e. so the vehicles already on the
> freeway can let you in without slowing down the flow of traffic).
>
> 2a) If you are on the freeway, it is best to stay out of the far right lane
> until you are a half mile (up to a mile, depending upon traffic) from your
> exit. This way merging vehicles will not affect your flow, and they can
> merge freely without negotiating with other cars while their merging.
> 2b) If you find yourself in the far right lane next to an onramp, try to
> offset your position from the merging vehicles.
> 2c) Make a point, when at all possible, to avoid being side-by-side with
> another vehicle in case you have to manuver in a panic situation or simply
> if the driver next to you wants to get over all of a sudden. Also when
> changing lanes, again, when at all possible, try to give yourself a two-lane
> cushion from other cars so that you don't get caught changing lanes into the
> same lane as another vehicle two lanes over from you.
>
> 3a) When making a turn, make the turn as promply as is safe to do so (even
> if you're not sure where you are going), so that you don't mess up the
> momentum of the vehicles behind you that may be trying to make the next
> light or series of lights that are timed in sequence.
> 3b) When turning onto a busy street, make sure you give yourself enough
> time to accellerate up to speed before the coming vehicle arrives, thus not
> disturbing the coming vehicle's momemtum and the flow of traffic on the
> street.
>
> As you know, there are pleanty of other driver errors that can effect the
> flow, but these are the types that came to mind from one recent normal day
> of driving.
>
> We are all guilty of mistakes in our driving, especially nowadays with the
> added distractions of cell phones, but the more aware we are of our
> participation in keeping the flow of traffic running smoothly, the less
> provocation to incite drivers to be aggressive on the road.

I agree with all but 2a. You *should* be in the rightmost lane unless
actively passing.

I wish more people would do all of the other things you suggest,
however. Unfortunately IME most people do *none* of them...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old March 18th 05, 03:00 AM
Daniel J. Stern

One thing that REALLY helps with team driving is cooperative use of turn
signals for lane changes.

Lead car signals but DOES NOT change lanes. Chase car sees lead's signal.
Chase car signals, changes lanes and creates space ahead for lead car.
THEN lead car changes lanes.

Really very simple, but surprisingly few people figure it out, and
lane-change chaos results.
Old March 18th 05, 05:48 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Scott in the ArkLaTex" > wrote in message

> Actually, many people seem to EXPECT that other drivers will slow down
> and make room for them to merge when they flip on their turn signal.

Only first-time visitors to California or DC do this. When I'm in CA, I've
found that while on the freeway, it's best not to signal a lane change or
even turn your head to see if the lane is clear. You can't even cock your
head a little to check your rear-view mirrors. The driver in the lane
beside you will see that and dash up to claim the space, out of principle.
They must think it's an indignity and/or an insult to allow someone to
change lanes. And all this happens at 75 mph.

Old March 19th 05, 08:25 AM
Magnulus

"Scott in the ArkLaTex" > wrote in message

> No way, Jose. I'm not gonna go with the molasses flow of a bunch of
> rolling roadblocks - I've got a life to live and a short time to live
> it. As far as I'm concerned, THEY are disturbing MY flow.

Perhaps you should buy an airplane, then, and learn to fly, if speed is
your concern.

You don't have a right to get anywhere fast if it compromises the safety
of other drivers or incurs extra costs on society to pay for your crash at
100 mph.

Old March 19th 05, 08:36 AM
John David Galt

Magnulus wrote:
> You don't have a right to get anywhere fast if it compromises the safety
> of other drivers or incurs extra costs on society to pay for your crash at
> 100 mph.

Which it doesn't; that's why insurance is compulsory.
Old March 19th 05, 05:01 PM
Big Bill

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:36:00 -0800, John David Galt
> wrote:

>> "Scott in the ArkLaTex" > wrote
>>> No way, Jose. I'm not gonna go with the molasses flow of a bunch of
>>> rolling roadblocks - I've got a life to live and a short time to live
>>> it. As far as I'm concerned, THEY are disturbing MY flow.

>Magnulus wrote:
>> You don't have a right to get anywhere fast if it compromises the safety
>> of other drivers or incurs extra costs on society to pay for your crash at
>> 100 mph.

>Which it doesn't; that's why insurance is compulsory.

Insurance does indeed increase the cost to society when an idiot
crashes.
To think otherwise is evidence of not understanding the basic
principles of insurance. It spreads the cost of such crashes over the
driving society.
Otherwise, that idiot would be responsible for the total cost of his
stupidity, rather than whatever deductible applies, and his premiums.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Got a ticket Friday... Cory Dunkle Driving 55 January 21st 05 11:04 PM
I Agree N8N Driving 14 January 5th 05 04:01 AM
HEMI's HOT Luke Smith Driving 208 December 19th 04 06:27 PM
Subject: Traffic School - online traffic school experience response [email protected] Corvette 0 October 9th 04 05:56 PM