Rear Window recall on 2002

Old November 23rd 04, 07:18 PM
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

Default Rear Window recall on 2002

Has anyone been able to get Ford to replace the poorly designed rear glass
hinges and support struts
on warrenty yet?
I got the recall notice, but all I get are excuses that the parts are not in
yet.

Old November 24th 04, 12:54 AM
Jim Warman

That would likely be a problem with your chosen dealer unless the demand for
the parts has outstripped the supply (sometimes happens with large
campaigns).

We have only had to do two and the parts were available from Bramalea.

om...

Old November 24th 04, 02:07 AM
wth

Have not been called by the dealer yet, after getting the notice in the mail
3-4 weeks ago. Last I heard, it would be early Dec.
wth

Old November 24th 04, 09:00 AM
akheel

"Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik" > wrote in
om:

> Has anyone been able to get Ford to replace the poorly designed rear
> glass hinges and support struts
> on warrenty yet?
> I got the recall notice, but all I get are excuses that the parts are
> not in yet.

We had it done already, a few weeks ago. Window broke two days before the
notice came. Ford paid to touch up the paint as well, but made me pay $25
to fix the wiper which broke as it crashed to the ground. Fo $25 I didn't
feel like arguing.
Old November 24th 04, 04:02 PM
Weldon Wallick

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:00:28 GMT, akheel
> wrote:

>"Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik" > wrote in
. com:

>> Has anyone been able to get Ford to replace the poorly designed rear
>> glass hinges and support struts
>> on warrenty yet?
>> I got the recall notice, but all I get are excuses that the parts are
>> not in yet.
>>

>We had it done already, a few weeks ago. Window broke two days before the
>notice came. Ford paid to touch up the paint as well, but made me pay $25
>to fix the wiper which broke as it crashed to the ground. Fo $25 I didn't
>feel like arguing.

Could you please explain what "breaks"?

Does the hinge come apart or what?

When we had had our '02 for a month or so, the right side hinge came
loose/ unscrewed. Only one small bolt holding it on. They put it back
together - no charge.

WLW

Old November 24th 04, 11:43 PM
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

"Weldon Wallick" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:00:28 GMT, akheel
> > wrote:
>
> >"Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik" > wrote in
> . com:
> >
> >> Has anyone been able to get Ford to replace the poorly designed rear
> >> glass hinges and support struts
> >> on warrenty yet?
> >> I got the recall notice, but all I get are excuses that the parts are
> >> not in yet.
> >>

> >We had it done already, a few weeks ago. Window broke two days before

the
> >notice came. Ford paid to touch up the paint as well, but made me pay

$25
> >to fix the wiper which broke as it crashed to the ground. Fo $25 I didn't
> >feel like arguing.

> Could you please explain what "breaks"?
> Does the hinge come apart or what?
>
> When we had had our '02 for a month or so, the right side hinge came
> loose/ unscrewed. Only one small bolt holding it on. They put it back
> together - no charge.
>
> WLW

Thanks for your replies! I will drop into the local stealership and face
them in person (not as easy to lie to me that way)

Old November 25th 04, 03:52 AM
akheel

Weldon Wallick > wrote in
news
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:00:28 GMT, akheel
> > wrote:
>
>>"Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik" > wrote in
.com:

>>> Has anyone been able to get Ford to replace the poorly designed rear
>>> glass hinges and support struts
>>> on warrenty yet?
>>> I got the recall notice, but all I get are excuses that the parts
>>> are not in yet.
>>>

>>We had it done already, a few weeks ago. Window broke two days before
>>the notice came. Ford paid to touch up the paint as well, but made me
>>pay $25 to fix the wiper which broke as it crashed to the ground. Fo
>>$25 I didn't feel like arguing.

> Could you please explain what "breaks"?
>
> Does the hinge come apart or what?
>
> When we had had our '02 for a month or so, the right side hinge came
> loose/ unscrewed. Only one small bolt holding it on. They put it back
> together - no charge.
>
> WLW

Its that screw that comes loose. The piston rod for the lift strut attaches
to the screw in an offset position. This causes the attachment point to
rotate and can bend the rod or it can slip off completely. When it bends,
it can jam, and as you close the window, the end of the rod becomes a
fulcrum and the window glass a big lever because the attachment point is
way up the glass. The glass is the auto safety type of course and is made
to shatter with force, and it doesn't take much since the glass is
particularly weak right there due to the hole in the glass for the bolt.
That's what happened to me and I had a million little pieces of glass
everywhere and a wiper hanging by its wires. If the rod just slips off,
the window can come crashig down and/or the loose end of the rod may knock
the window somewhere, again breaking it.

What they do on the recall is put some black epoxy looking stuff under the
backing plate where the bolt goes through presumably so it wont come loose
and let the attachment point rotate. They whole design is lame. I looked
at a 2004, and its totally reversed. The lift strut attaches high on the
truck and low on the glass, so you eliminate the lever effect. There is no
bolt through the glass, but rather a big attachment plate that looks bonded
to the glass. The attachment point is not offset so there is nothing to
rotate. The offset design on the 2002 to me is the dumbest part of the
whole thing.
Old November 25th 04, 06:02 AM
JaWise

>What they do on the recall is put some black epoxy looking stuff under the
>backing plate

I hope the recall is more than that. That's been done to mine twice already.
Luckily mine have come loose when opening the glass so I haven't had shattered
glass.

I'm thinking they are gonna put some kind of bracket that goes around the edge
of the glass to prevent rotation.
Old November 25th 04, 04:34 PM
Topshelf 14

I've called five dealerships in the Nashville area and all of them say
that they don't have the parts and haven't heard when they will have
them. One guy told me that he had about 40 people calling him on a
daily basis.

Joe