Battery question

Old January 18th 05, 04:54 AM
Rivergoat

Default Battery question

OK, I've started acting in earnest and am actively seeking a Miata. In
fact I have 2 very nice ones to check thoroughly by the end of the
week.

Meantime, as the battery sits in the truck I understand it's a
lead-acid free battery, and Panasonic manufacture (at least for the
recent ones?).

So...when Miata batteries need replacing, what are the brands and
specific types, and average prices?

For my truck I go strictly with Optima, but I couldn't tell you if
it's lead-acid free, I've never had to look for that. My cars and
truck have kept the batter under the hood, with the exception of my
old VW Beetle which had it under the rear seat (and "any old battery"
seemed to be just fine in that).

TIA
Old January 19th 05, 11:05 PM
chuckk

Actually most of the later Miatas have a "glass mat" battery, not a gel
cell. There are several companies that sell a glass mat battery with the
correct vent and post arrangement for the Miata.
If you want to order one by mail, look at the miata.net website. A popular
battery brand for the Miata is Westco. Optima also makes a compatable
battery, for a lot more money. My local battery specialty shop even carries
a private label glass mat battery that is built for the Miata configuration.
Gel cells are a good battery, but not the best type of battery for starting
a car.

Old January 19th 05, 11:34 PM
Leon van Dommelen

"chuckk" > wrote:

>Actually most of the later Miatas have a "glass mat" battery, not a gel
>cell.

They never had a gel cell, though it is commonly called one.

Leon

> There are several companies that sell a glass mat battery with the
>correct vent and post arrangement for the Miata.
>If you want to order one by mail, look at the miata.net website. A popular
>battery brand for the Miata is Westco. Optima also makes a compatable
>battery, for a lot more money. My local battery specialty shop even carries
>a private label glass mat battery that is built for the Miata configuration.
>Gel cells are a good battery, but not the best type of battery for starting
>a car.
>
>"Rivergoat" > wrote in message
.. .
>> OK, I've started acting in earnest and am actively seeking a Miata. In
>> fact I have 2 very nice ones to check thoroughly by the end of the
>> week.
>>
>> Meantime, as the battery sits in the truck I understand it's a
>> lead-acid free battery, and Panasonic manufacture (at least for the
>> recent ones?).
>>
>> So...when Miata batteries need replacing, what are the brands and
>> specific types, and average prices?
>>
>> For my truck I go strictly with Optima, but I couldn't tell you if
>> it's lead-acid free, I've never had to look for that. My cars and
>> truck have kept the batter under the hood, with the exception of my
>> old VW Beetle which had it under the rear seat (and "any old battery"
>> seemed to be just fine in that).
>>
>> TIA

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old January 20th 05, 04:40 AM
Rivergoat

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I went to miata.net and printed out the whole
story of the battery, along with info on the WestCo replacement. I see
it's about $90 on the website. The Optima for my truck was $130.

I examined and test drove a 2001 today. Nice condition, though when I
checked the battery it didn't say Panasonic, but Mazda on it; and I
noticed a small amount of corrosion on a holding bracket. If I read
right, Mazda has created a lead-acid sealed type? They expect it to be
OK in the Miata? Just seeing a tiny bit of corrosion made me
uncomfortable. If I buy this one I'd try to hit the owner for at least
$100 off so I could get an AGM replacement.

Many thanks to the Miata.net site, I may have scared the owner a bit
with my complete checklist When I started to crawl under the front
and rear he asked, "...what are you looking for?" I just said
"anything out of the ordinary." I think I was thorough. It's on the
list as a possible candidate.

I've got a 2003 to look at Saturday, then I could likely make a
decision.

Got my loan approved no problem, and thanks to another great source of
information I opted for a credit union and got a very nice APR.

You'll hear more from me when I settle on a Miata!

battery charging question William R. Watt Technology 5 January 10th 05 12:08 PM
Battery and Alternator question Wurm Saturn 8 November 11th 04 04:18 AM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 10:54 PM
84 Vette battery question Jon Smith Corvette 6 October 7th 04 03:39 PM