Crysler voyager -95 3.3l Backfiring in aircleaner

Old October 18th 04, 04:53 PM
Janne S Sweden

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message >...
> "Janne S Sweden" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Yes we have pretty hard emission checks here in Sweden, almost like in
> > California i think. We check the car and emissions every year.
> > I thougt that it may be the lamda some time ago, but the emissions was
> > perfekt in the test.
> >

> Have them check the emissions again if you can get it done for free - here
> in Oregon you can, the state inspection stations will test for free.
>
> Have someone put a scope on the ignition system.
>
> Ted

I checked two weeks ago at a friends workshop and it was perfekt,i
checked the timing on the ignition as well.
What i donīt understand is why it starts to mess around at that
specific rpm.

If i slowly goes up to 3700 rpm with gearbox locked in position 2 the
engine will stall and lack power and sligthly miss in the ignition and
while itīs doing that the rpm gauge will go crazy and be all over the
place. If i continue to press on the gaspedal it would miss even more
and in the end start exploding in the air cleaner. If i would go about
55 m/h (90km/h)and try to accelerate so the kickdown engages, it would
shift down and just blow the top of the aircleaner, belive me i tried,
it blow the plastic hinges right off.

Janne S
(By the way,Sweden is a country next to Norway and Denmark)
Old October 19th 04, 05:23 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Janne S Sweden" > wrote in message
om...
> "Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message

> > "Janne S Sweden" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Yes we have pretty hard emission checks here in Sweden, almost like in
> > > California i think. We check the car and emissions every year.
> > > I thougt that it may be the lamda some time ago, but the emissions was
> > > perfekt in the test.
> > >

> > Have them check the emissions again if you can get it done for free -

here
> > in Oregon you can, the state inspection stations will test for free.
> >
> > Have someone put a scope on the ignition system.
> >
> > Ted

> I checked two weeks ago at a friends workshop and it was perfekt,i
> checked the timing on the ignition as well.

What is the engine size? 3.0?

Ted

Old October 19th 04, 05:23 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

Old October 19th 04, 01:05 PM
Janne S Sweden

Old October 19th 04, 01:05 PM
Janne S Sweden

Old October 19th 04, 05:04 PM
Bob Shuman

Replace the spark plug wires. This is fairly common symptom when they are
defective . At the vehicle's age I'd bet on this being the cause of your
backfiring.

Bob

Old October 19th 04, 05:04 PM
Bob Shuman

Old October 20th 04, 12:24 AM
Janne S Sweden

"Bob Shuman" > wrote in message >...
> Replace the spark plug wires. This is fairly common symptom when they are
> defective . At the vehicle's age I'd bet on this being the cause of your
> backfiring.
>
> Bob

Done that...twice!! and plugs.
First with aftermarket cables,now original wires and new plugs for
about 40$(295SEK) a piece. Not cheap but will stay in the car for the
next 3-4 years and thats nice.We all know how much fun it is to cange
plugs on this car ;-)
Old October 20th 04, 12:24 AM
Janne S Sweden

Old October 20th 04, 11:31 PM
Janne S Sweden

Does any Chrysler mechanic out there know if somthing special happens
in that rpm range (3700-4000rpm). If extra fuel is added or if
ignition timing is radically changed or something like that????.
Could the problem be a faulty computer unit??.
And why does it sometime work perfectly, it has nothing to do with
weather conditions dry/wet/hot or cold.

Janne S