Power Steering in an '84 Diesel Rabbit?

Old January 10th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Power Steering in an '84 Diesel Rabbit?

This may sound like a stupid question, but I need to replace the left tie
rod on my '84 diesel rabbit. After some quick searching online for the
part, I discovered that there are tie rods for rabbits with power steering
and those without. I don't know whether I have power steering. My rabbit
owner's manual mentions power steering, but has an asterisk next to it and
and the asterisk says "where applicable". I don't think I see a power
steering reservoir under my hood, but I don't know where to look. Can
somebody tell me where this reservoir would be located if I had one?

Thanks!
Bryan Walton

--
remove the "REMOVE" from my email to email
Old January 10th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

My '88 Cabbie (not a diesel) has the power steering reservoir located near
the front of the engine compartment, on the right side (as you look from the
driver's seat). It is up high where it is easy to get to, and is made of
white plastic, about 4 inches in diameter. The top of the reservoir is
black, and there is a red screw cap that is removable in order to add power
steering fluid.

Hope this helps.

ink.com...

Old January 10th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Bryan K. Walton > wrote:
> I don't know whether I have power
> steering. My rabbit owner's manual mentions power steering, but has
> an asterisk next to it and and the asterisk says "where applicable".
> I don't think I see a power steering reservoir under my hood, but I
> don't know where to look. Can somebody tell me where this reservoir
> would be located if I had one?

There's a very easy way to find out. Start your engine, and attempt to
turn your steering wheel with no more than 2 fingers of your dominant
hand while the vehicle is not moving. If you manage that without almost
breaking your fingers, your car has got power-steering.

Old January 10th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

"René" > wrote in message
om...
> Bryan K. Walton > wrote:
>> I don't know whether I have power
>> steering. My rabbit owner's manual mentions power steering, but has
>> an asterisk next to it and and the asterisk says "where applicable".
>> I don't think I see a power steering reservoir under my hood, but I
>> don't know where to look. Can somebody tell me where this reservoir
>> would be located if I had one?

> There's a very easy way to find out. Start your engine, and attempt to
> turn your steering wheel with no more than 2 fingers of your dominant hand
> while the vehicle is not moving. If you manage that without almost
> breaking your fingers, your car has got power-steering.

It's not quite that easy, Rene. More effort than 2 fingers is required when
stationary.

Old January 10th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Papa wrote:

>"René" > wrote in message
. com...
>> Bryan K. Walton > wrote:
>>> I don't know whether I have power
>>> steering. My rabbit owner's manual mentions power steering, but has
>>> an asterisk next to it and and the asterisk says "where applicable".
>>> I don't think I see a power steering reservoir under my hood, but I
>>> don't know where to look. Can somebody tell me where this reservoir
>>> would be located if I had one?

>> There's a very easy way to find out. Start your engine, and attempt to
>> turn your steering wheel with no more than 2 fingers of your dominant hand
>> while the vehicle is not moving. If you manage that without almost
>> breaking your fingers, your car has got power-steering.
>>

>It's not quite that easy, Rene. More effort than 2 fingers is required when
>stationary.

We could say that power steering will make it much easier with the
engine running than without.

Old January 11th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On 2006-01-10, René > wrote:
> There's a very easy way to find out. Start your engine, and attempt to
> turn your steering wheel with no more than 2 fingers of your dominant
> hand while the vehicle is not moving. If you manage that without almost
> breaking your fingers, your car has got power-steering.

Thanks Ren\xE9,
I gave that a try. I could move the wheel with two fingers,
but had to really work at it. Then for comparison, I tried the same
thing in another car that I know has power steering, and it was
probably 20 times easier. So I'm going to assume that my rabbit does
not have power steering (which was my assumption going in, given that
I couldn't find the reservoir for it). And that is probably all the
better for my sake, the tie rod I need to purchase will therefore be
considerably cheaper. :-)
Thanks everybody for the help!

-Bryan

--
remove the "REMOVE" from my email to email
Old January 11th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

You mean you didn't at least look? Power steering for your Rabbit is a lot
more stiff when the car is stationary than most other cars. Don't make the
mistake of buying the wrong parts. All that does is double your costs.
Better to just take your car to a VW service department than make guesses.

Old January 11th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On 2006-01-11, Papa > wrote:
> You mean you didn't at least look? Power steering for your Rabbit is a lot
> more stiff when the car is stationary than most other cars. Don't make the
> mistake of buying the wrong parts. All that does is double your costs.
> Better to just take your car to a VW service department than make guesses.

Yes, I looked. I mentioned in my original post that I had looked and
not seen a reservoir for it, but wasn't sure exactly where it was
located -- hence asking the list. Nobody told me exactly where it
should be located for an '84 diesel rabbit, so I went with René
advice. I'll look again, but I still don't know exactly where
underneath the hood it is located.

-Bryan

--
remove the "REMOVE" from my email to email
Old January 11th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Simply go to a VW service department and just ask. They won't charge you for
that, and then you won't be guessing anymore. However, if you are
contemplating doing much work yourself on that vehicle, get yourself a
Bentley service manual. It will answer all kinds of questions about your
vehicle. Also, join the VWVortex online forum. Many experts participate, and
are extremely helpful.

"Bryan K. Walton" > wrote in message
ink.com...
> On 2006-01-11, Papa > wrote:
>> You mean you didn't at least look? Power steering for your Rabbit is a
>> lot
>> more stiff when the car is stationary than most other cars. Don't make
>> the
>> mistake of buying the wrong parts. All that does is double your costs.
>> Better to just take your car to a VW service department than make
>> guesses.

> Yes, I looked. I mentioned in my original post that I had looked and
> not seen a reservoir for it, but wasn't sure exactly where it was
> located -- hence asking the list. Nobody told me exactly where it
> should be located for an '84 diesel rabbit, so I went with René
> advice. I'll look again, but I still don't know exactly where
> underneath the hood it is located.
>
> -Bryan
>
> --
> remove the "REMOVE" from my email to email

91 Golf Needs Adjustable Left Tie Rod you are nuts VW water cooled 7 December 21st 05 07:30 PM
Power steering leak Ed VW water cooled 2 December 4th 04 11:46 PM
Cracked Steering Damper Assembly- Be careful Jason 4x4 2 May 19th 04 12:42 PM