1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager transmission issues

Old July 10th 04, 03:44 PM
Larry Herzog Jr.

Default 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager transmission issues

While my wife was driving our van the other day, the "Service Engine Soon"
light came on and the transmission started shifting weird. Well,
basically, it is shifting from second to third at higher RPM's then
usual. Nothing into redline or anything, but obviously there is something
wrong.

The tranny fluid is at normal levels, is clean, and the vehicle seems to
drive normally. Would it be a good guess that some sort of computer
module is whacked (one that, perhaps, controls the shifting) and needs to
be replaced? And, if so, anyone have any idea what this will cost to get
replaced??

--
Larry Herzog Jr.
VROC #11489 - 2003 VN1600 [Red]
Old July 10th 04, 06:51 PM
bobQ

Larry
anytime you get a check engine light, go to the nearest autoparts store
(that primarily sells retail) and see if they will check it out. Most big
chains now test for free then look up the error code and try andsell you a
part. At that point tell them you need to think about it and post the code
here.

Then someone will look it up and provide a little better answer to your
problem.
BTW I use alldatadiy.com for the online manual and code help. worth it IMHO

s.com...

Old July 10th 04, 06:51 PM
bobQ

Old July 12th 04, 05:40 PM
Larry Herzog Jr.

I ended up bringing it into the dealer. It was speed sensor module (or
something similiarly named). Cost $150 to get replaced. (considering the
thousands of dollars I've been shelling out for my 1996 Dodge Stratus
lately (head gasket, cracked exhaust manifold, cat converter, water pump,
etc, etc), seems like a good deal.)

--
Larry Herzog Jr.
VROC #11489 - 2003 VN1600 [Red]
Old July 12th 04, 05:40 PM
Larry Herzog Jr.

--
Larry Herzog Jr.
VROC #11489 - 2003 VN1600 [Red]
Old July 17th 04, 03:09 AM
edzome

This is the same problem I just started having with my 1999 Grand
Caravan...I hope it is the same with me as it was with you. Thanks for
letting us know.

"Larry Herzog Jr." > wrote in message
g...

> I ended up bringing it into the dealer. It was speed sensor module (or
> something similiarly named). Cost $150 to get replaced. (considering the
> thousands of dollars I've been shelling out for my 1996 Dodge Stratus
> lately (head gasket, cracked exhaust manifold, cat converter, water pump,
> etc, etc), seems like a good deal.)
>

> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004, bobQ wrote:
>
> > Larry
> > anytime you get a check engine light, go to the nearest autoparts store
> > (that primarily sells retail) and see if they will check it out. Most

big
> > chains now test for free then look up the error code and try andsell you

> > part. At that point tell them you need to think about it and post the

code
> > here.
> >
> > Then someone will look it up and provide a little better answer to your
> > problem.
> > BTW I use alldatadiy.com for the online manual and code help. worth it

IMHO

> > "Larry Herzog Jr." > wrote in message
> > s.com...
> > >
> > > While my wife was driving our van the other day, the "Service Engine

Soon"
> > > light came on and the transmission started shifting weird. Well,
> > > basically, it is shifting from second to third at higher RPM's then
> > > usual. Nothing into redline or anything, but obviously there is

something
> > > wrong.
> > >
> > > The tranny fluid is at normal levels, is clean, and the vehicle seems

> > > drive normally. Would it be a good guess that some sort of computer
> > > module is whacked (one that, perhaps, controls the shifting) and needs

> > > be replaced? And, if so, anyone have any idea what this will cost to

get
> > > replaced??
> > >
> > > --
> > > Larry Herzog Jr.
> > > VROC #11489 - 2003 VN1600 [Red]
> > > - Madison, WI

> --
> Larry Herzog Jr.
> VROC #11489 - 2003 VN1600 [Red]

- Madison, WI

Old July 17th 04, 03:09 AM
edzome

This is the same problem I just started having with my 1999 Grand
Caravan...I hope it is the same with me as it was with you. Thanks for
letting us know.

"Larry Herzog Jr." > wrote in message
g...

> I ended up bringing it into the dealer. It was speed sensor module (or
> something similiarly named). Cost $150 to get replaced. (considering the
> thousands of dollars I've been shelling out for my 1996 Dodge Stratus
> lately (head gasket, cracked exhaust manifold, cat converter, water pump,
> etc, etc), seems like a good deal.)
>

> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004, bobQ wrote:
>
> > Larry
> > anytime you get a check engine light, go to the nearest autoparts store
> > (that primarily sells retail) and see if they will check it out. Most

big
> > chains now test for free then look up the error code and try andsell you

> > part. At that point tell them you need to think about it and post the

code
> > here.
> >
> > Then someone will look it up and provide a little better answer to your
> > problem.
> > BTW I use alldatadiy.com for the online manual and code help. worth it

IMHO

> > "Larry Herzog Jr." > wrote in message
> > s.com...
> > >
> > > While my wife was driving our van the other day, the "Service Engine

Soon"
> > > light came on and the transmission started shifting weird. Well,
> > > basically, it is shifting from second to third at higher RPM's then
> > > usual. Nothing into redline or anything, but obviously there is

something
> > > wrong.
> > >
> > > The tranny fluid is at normal levels, is clean, and the vehicle seems

> > > drive normally. Would it be a good guess that some sort of computer
> > > module is whacked (one that, perhaps, controls the shifting) and needs

> > > be replaced? And, if so, anyone have any idea what this will cost to

get
> > > replaced??
> > >
> > > --
> > > Larry Herzog Jr.
> > > VROC #11489 - 2003 VN1600 [Red]
> > > - Madison, WI

> --
> Larry Herzog Jr.
> VROC #11489 - 2003 VN1600 [Red]

- Madison, WI

Old August 18th 04, 05:32 AM
carguy

I just repaired a 1998 van with the same problem.When I scanned it I found
a shift error code.That doesn't pin point a bad part or anything.Most
parts stores would scan it and not know which part to sell you, so thats
not the best method of trouble shooting.After driving the van and watching
the data stream I noticed the input sensor acting erratic going from zero
rpm and back up to engine rpm back and forth.I replaced the input sensor
which is directly on top of solenoid pack.(would be on front side of
transmission when tranny is in the van.) A 1 inch socket removes it. After
replacement the van worked perfectly.Just something you might want to try.