2000 Cherokee fan motor only works on high?

Old May 19th 05, 12:29 PM
gpallott

Default 2000 Cherokee fan motor only works on high?

I have a 2000 Cherokee and over the winter the fan motor stopped
working on settings 1, 2 and 3 but works on 4. The winters are cold up
where I live so this was not a big problem, but I would be curious to
see if anyone has seen this problem.

Thanks,

Greg

Old May 19th 05, 01:11 PM
Mike Romain

Yes, it is a fairly common failure of the resistor pack. The pack is
locate at the bottom of the heater box in the passenger footwell under a
plastic cover. Remove the cover with one or maybe two bolts and you can
change the pack.

If this resistor goes again it means the fan motor is worn out. When
they get old they can draw too many amps and overheat things.

I hear there is a thermal fuse on some of the resistor packs that goes.
If you are handy with electronics and a soldering station, you might
want to just change out the one component part if that is all that has
popped. I would try this but I have lots of time on my hands.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 19th 05, 02:29 PM
gpallott

Mike,

thanks for the info, I will take a look at that this weekend.

Greg

Old May 19th 05, 07:06 PM
Danny

Mike Romain wrote:
> Yes, it is a fairly common failure of the resistor pack. The pack is
> locate at the bottom of the heater box in the passenger footwell under a
> plastic cover. Remove the cover with one or maybe two bolts and you can
> change the pack.
>
> If this resistor goes again it means the fan motor is worn out. When
> they get old they can draw too many amps and overheat things.
>
> I hear there is a thermal fuse on some of the resistor packs that goes.
> If you are handy with electronics and a soldering station, you might
> want to just change out the one component part if that is all that has
> popped. I would try this but I have lots of time on my hands.

Do not solder a thermal fuse - you will blow it immediately with the
heat. They are always crimped, and usually easy to find and change
(Try Tandy/radio shack type places).

--
Regards,
Danny

http://www.gaggia-espresso.com (a purely hobby site)
http://www.dannyscoffee.com (UK advert for my mobile espresso service)
http://www.malabargold.co.uk (UK/European online ordering for Malabar
Gold blend)
swap Z for above characters in email address to reply

Old May 19th 05, 09:53 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Pictu http://www.billhughes.com/resistor.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

gpallott wrote:

> Mike,
>
> thanks for the info, I will take a look at that this weekend.
>
> Greg

Failed Smog Check 1981 Trans AM TheSmogTech Technology 0 January 30th 05 04:16 PM
2000 SL2 revs up high for no reason, is it a tranny? problem [email protected] Saturn 1 January 13th 05 01:25 AM
Integra Emissions Failure Dkakd Honda 13 November 8th 04 09:14 AM
95 explorer limited heater blower only works on high speed up north Ford Explorer 5 November 8th 04 02:01 AM
2000 SL1 Idling high bearcat500 Saturn 4 May 25th 04 02:29 AM