Vibration in my SW2...getting worse every day...

Old October 23rd 04, 09:20 PM
WTP07

Default Vibration in my SW2...getting worse every day...

Hey all...anyone else have this problem?

I have a 97SW2 with about a million KM's on it...(OK...it's like
300k....)...and for the last 5K or so I have had an engine vibration that is
getting worse. It is really bad at idle, but you can still feel it/hear it
at cruising speed....I thought it might be the engine mounts, but I have
discounted that with some gentle prying around the mounts with a pry bar.
(This makes the vibration MUCH worse)...so....I am left thinking it might be
a harmonic balancer....but before I get to dis-assembling...I'd like to hear
your thoughts and ideas, and hopefully (for me) experiences on this.

The car is is pretty good shape otherwise, considering the mileage, I will
need rear strut mounts soon, before I go insane from the squeeking...but it
is still a good DD.

Thanks for your help!

Randy.

97 SW-2
94 Lumina APV

Old October 23rd 04, 09:37 PM
Jonnie Santos

My 97SL2 used to eat the torque axis mount (TAM), located at the top of the
engine in about 50k (miles). Vibration at idle, including door and dash
rattles were one of its symptoms.

Old October 24th 04, 01:13 AM
marx404

definately sounds like motor mounts (TAM most possible culprit but check
them all just in case).

marx404