71 VW Bug Autostick Problems

Old August 15th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Noice87

Default 71 VW Bug Autostick Problems

I had some work done on my car before I left for MO for the summer.
Car was running but my dad only started it once. To start it I turn
key and then pess a button. When I turn the key orange lights come on
for G "I am guessing Gas" and Oil Pressing the button does nothing. I
thought it was the battery before I tried to start it but battery is
hooked up.

Thanks Steven

Old August 15th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

Noice87 wrote:
> I had some work done on my car before I left for MO for the summer.
> Car was running but my dad only started it once. To start it I turn
> key and then pess a button. When I turn the key orange lights come on
> for G "I am guessing Gas

No the G stands for Generator it comes on when you turn the key on
and will go out when the engine is running.

" and Oil

Pressing the button does nothing. the button sounds like an add on
that alot of VW's get when the power isn't getting to the starter.
> thought it was the battery before I tried to start it but battery is
> hooked up.

Make sure the battery is fully charged, you also might want to "
jump" the starter selonid once to see if the starter is locked up from
sitting.

Mario
Vintage Werks resto

Old August 15th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Noice87

well I didn't go in the front to check but I pushed in my flasher
button and it came on from inside the car. battery is new (April) so I
would think it would have a charge.. But I can try charging it up if
need be.

The button is becuase their was some short and it was quicker and less
clostly to do it than to pull out the Ignition wires and install a new
one.

Thanks for the tips and advise.

Thanks Steven

Old August 15th 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
n5hsr

"Noice87" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> well I didn't go in the front to check but I pushed in my flasher
> button and it came on from inside the car. battery is new (April) so I
> would think it would have a charge.. But I can try charging it up if
> need be.
>
> The button is becuase their was some short and it was quicker and less
> clostly to do it than to pull out the Ignition wires and install a new
> one.
>
> Thanks for the tips and advise.
>
> Thanks Steven

OK, I have a thought that no one has mentioned. Is there a 'neutral' switch
on the autostick?

Charles of Schaumburg

Old August 15th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Noice87

well before when I drove it I coudl start it in Netural, First,
Reverse. And I have tried in all of those but nothing.

Old August 15th 06, 12:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
n5hsr

"Noice87" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> well before when I drove it I coudl start it in Netural, First,
> Reverse. And I have tried in all of those but nothing.

Hmm. I thought after 1968, the DOT would have required some sort of
neutral safety switch for the automatic, but I guess it was grandfathered.

Charles of Schaumburg

Old August 15th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
One out of many Daves

"n5hsr" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Noice87" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> well before when I drove it I coudl start it in Netural, First,
>> Reverse. And I have tried in all of those but nothing.
>>

> Hmm. I thought after 1968, the DOT would have required some sort of
> neutral safety switch for the automatic, but I guess it was grandfathered.
>
> Charles of Schaumburg

No you are right Charles............my '69 Beetle autostick had that nss.
It seems like this poster had the nss bypassed.

It could be the wiring to the starter got disconnected, or the starter went
bad and needs to be checked along with the battery.
Try jumping the battery to see if it makes any difference.

--
later,
dave

Old August 15th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Noice87 wrote:

> I had some work done on my car before I left for MO for the summer.
> Car was running but my dad only started it once. To start it I turn
> key and then pess a button. When I turn the key orange lights come on
> for G "I am guessing Gas" and Oil Pressing the button does nothing. I
> thought it was the battery before I tried to start it but battery is
> hooked up.
>
> Thanks Steven

Yes, there *was* a Neutral Safety switch. Yours may have been bypassed.

That said, try this:
Get under the car (Shift in NEUTRAL!!) Wear glasses.
Jumper the starter solenoid as shown he
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/starter4.gif

If the engine now cranks, you know the starter/battery are OK
and it is a wiring/switch problem.

Note: If you leave the Ignition switch ON, the engine can be
started with this jumper.

--------------------------
Plz, get a manual that covers that car.
Like these items on eBay:
330017799319
220015402193
http://motors.listings.ebay.com/_W0Q...ngCategoryList

That manual has an excellent section on the AutoStick as well as
everything else.

Bookmark my web site for elec info.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old August 16th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Noice87

I haven't tried to test the starter yet. Will need the help of a
friend.

But I did try to jump start the battery. It tried to start twice but
then a short time later everything quit. Ie no orange lights. I fiddle
with the battery but couldn't get any of the orange lights to come on.
I need to see if I cvan find my recipt for the battery and go have it
tested.

Thanks Steven

Old August 16th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
n5hsr

"Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
m...
> Noice87 wrote:
>
>> I had some work done on my car before I left for MO for the summer.
>> Car was running but my dad only started it once. To start it I turn
>> key and then pess a button. When I turn the key orange lights come on
>> for G "I am guessing Gas" and Oil Pressing the button does nothing. I
>> thought it was the battery before I tried to start it but battery is
>> hooked up.
>>
>> Thanks Steven
>>

> Yes, there *was* a Neutral Safety switch. Yours may have been bypassed.
>
> That said, try this:
> Get under the car (Shift in NEUTRAL!!) Wear glasses.
> Jumper the starter solenoid as shown he
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/starter4.gif
>
> If the engine now cranks, you know the starter/battery are OK
> and it is a wiring/switch problem.
>
> Note: If you leave the Ignition switch ON, the engine can be
> started with this jumper.
>
> --------------------------
> Plz, get a manual that covers that car.
> Like these items on eBay:
> 330017799319 220015402193
> http://motors.listings.ebay.com/_W0Q...ngCategoryList
>
> That manual has an excellent section on the AutoStick as well as
> everything else.
>
> Bookmark my web site for elec info.
>
> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Also, is there a possibility that the nss has failed open, i.e. it doesn't
close even in neutral? Or a wire has 'broken off'? We are dealing with a
car over 30 years old here. Nice as they are, things do wear out, get
damaged, etc.

Charles of Schaumburg