License covers to reflect red light cameras?

Old August 8th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
[email protected]

Default License covers to reflect red light cameras?

A while back i saw some infomercial about a protective license plate
cover to will reflect any red light cameras that tries to take a
picture of the license plates. Does anyone know the name of this
protective cover? Any website carrying this? Thanks.

Old August 8th 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

> gpsman said in rec.autos.driving:
> wrote:
> > A while back i saw some infomercial about a protective license plate
> > cover to will reflect any red light cameras that tries to take a
> > picture of the license plates. Does anyone know the name of this
> > protective cover? Any website carrying this? Thanks.

> Googling "license plate cover, red light cameras" returned

http://www.laserveil.com/license-plate/covers/ in "0.30 seconds".

From the website:

"VEIL works by significantly reducing the reflection that occurs from
today's high-tech retro-reflective license plates."

Wouldn't a piece of steel wool and a little elbow grease accomplish the
same thing?

> Are you certain you should be driving? (I think I hurt my finger.)

There you go again, assuming that government is completely honest,
forthright, aboveboard and ethical.

--
F orever
B enefitting
Old August 8th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

necromancer wrote: <brevity snip>
> > gpsman said in rec.autos.driving:
> > wrote:
> > > A while back i saw some infomercial about a protective license plate
> > > cover to will reflect any red light cameras that tries to take a
> > > picture of the license plates. Does anyone know the name of this
> > > protective cover? Any website carrying this? Thanks.

> > Googling "license plate cover, red light cameras" returned

http://www.laserveil.com/license-plate/covers/ in "0.30 seconds".

> > Are you certain you should be driving? (I think I hurt my finger.)

> There you go again, assuming that government is completely honest,
> forthright, aboveboard and ethical.

There you go again with a spurious conclusion... based on no evidence.

I think I might reasonably conclude a driver wishing to avoid RLC's is
not the smartest driver. As evidence I pointed to his inability to
perform a simple search that would have provided the information he
sought... in less than a half-second.

I have no need to avoid RLC's so I have a hard time seeing why anyone
else would,.. unless they run red lights on a fairly regular basis.

Stop means stop. I don't see what might be so difficult to understand
about that. If a driver is paying attention he should be able to
easily identify a stale green and should expect it to turn red... since
they so often do.
-----

- gpsman

Old August 8th 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

> gpsman said in rec.autos.driving:
> Stop means stop. I don't see what might be so difficult to understand
> about that. If a driver is paying attention he should be able to
> easily identify a stale green and should expect it to turn red... since
> they so often do.

So, if RLR is such a problem, why not find a solution to the problem
that doesn't involve highway robbery? (See: http://tinyurl.com/j8llo
scroll to the part about increasing yellow light timing and its
corresponding reduction in RLR) Unless, ofcourse, you stan to benefit
financially from such highway robbery...

The fact is that revenue starved (or just plain greedy) juristictions
tamper with traffic lights to inflate the number of violators and the
amount of revenue they get.

And before you ask, see

http://tinyurl.com/fqmdh

and http://tinyurl.com/j8llo

and http://tinyurl.com/ebbl4 (scroll down to point 4)

And last, but not least, there is this little burg where I live where
not a a week after the first red light scamera want live, the mayor
wanted to spend $35 000 on this: http://tinyurl.com/l46o6

(article reproduced below the .sig) if you can see the article on the
website w/o registration, there is a nice pic of da mayr standing next
to da stump.

--
I diots
N umbskulls &

====================================

Massive oak may live anew

Mon, Jul 10, 2006

City may turn tree into sculpture of historical figure

By KEITH LAING

The Brunswick News

The city of Brunswick is contemplating giving an oak tree felled during
a K Street sewer repair project new life.

Mayor Bryan Thompson said the city is considering hiring a professional
sculptor to carve the fully grown tree that had once shaded K Street
between Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and Amherst Street into a
community landmark that celebrates the lives of prominent Georgians.

Mayor Bryan Thompson says the city of Brunswick is considering hiring a
professional sculptor to turn a 180,000 pound oak tree that was removed
during a sewer repair project into a landmark that celebrates the lives
of prominent Georgians. (James Nix/The Brunswick News)
The tree weighs more than 180,000 pounds.

Among those being considered to be commemorated are Georgia founder
James Oglethorpe, civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. and poet
Sidney Lanier. The project is expected to cost about $35,000.

Neighborhood residents expressed displeasure when the tree was removed
late last year.

Thompson said the sculpture would be the city's way of apologizing to
them.

"That tree should have never come down, but we now have the opportunity
to bring it back in an altered form, re-done in a way that should last
indefinitely," he said.

He added that the sculpture would be a welcome addition to the city
landscape.

"There would be nothing else like it in the community," Thompson said.
"We think it's going to be embraced."

A former artist himself, Thompson said that the key to making the
project successful would be allowing the effected neighborhood to
participate in the tree's renaissance.

He said he hopes Pennslyvania-based artist Joe King will be able to do
more than carve the tree while he is here.

"I like the idea of being able to use the artist to teach wood carving
classes so that it's more than somebody coming in, carving the tree up
and there it is," he said.

King agreed to offer his expertise to the community during a
teleconference with Thompson and City Manager Roosevelt Harris last
week. He also expressed an enthusiasm for the project.

"It's a very exciting project," King said. "It's nice to be able to
salvage something that's almost like a piece of history."
Old August 8th 06, 07:23 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

necromancer wrote: <brevity snip>
> > gpsman said in rec.autos.driving:
> > Stop means stop. I don't see what might be so difficult to understand
> > about that. If a driver is paying attention he should be able to
> > easily identify a stale green and should expect it to turn red... since
> > they so often do.

> So, if RLR is such a problem, why not find a solution to the problem
> that doesn't involve highway robbery? (See: http://tinyurl.com/j8llo
> scroll to the part about increasing yellow light timing and its
> corresponding reduction in RLR)

I think I'm fully aware of the problems concerning RLC's and the profit
enhancement techniques of the timing of yellows by the RLC provider.

Guess how I avoid running red lights. It's pretty simple, I don't run
them. The yellow would have to be incredibly short to catch *me*...
because I operate at the SL or below in every environment where RL's
exist.

You might consider that the drivers who have problems with the yellow
timings are drivers who are speeding and/or inattentive. The more
often those drivers are cited, the happier I am.

That's just my POV, I make no claim that it's "right".
-----

- gpsman

Poorly setup stop light Paul Driving 7 May 19th 05 10:25 PM
The real reason for opposition to red light cameras K Smythe Driving 39 May 3rd 05 03:53 PM
red light cameras/NY Times fbloogyudsr Driving 43 January 20th 05 01:12 AM
E34: License Light works but error message displayed Chip L BMW 6 January 17th 05 06:44 PM