Air Conditioning Not Working 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Old June 16th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Air Conditioning Not Working 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport

So, what's the first thing I should do? I ask cause I'm the guy they
can see comin' from miles away.

Thanks

Sam
Old June 16th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Sam,
All manufacturers have been using Mickey Mouse rubber O rings since
about '80, that wear out with engine vibration in about five years, and
leak refrigerant. They'll need to be replaced and vacuumed before
recharging with R-134. Familiarize yourself with the terms use in Air
Conditioning: http://members.tripod.com/~jbabs714/autoac.htm
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 17th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Sam,

If you describe the symptoms a bit more precisely, I'll try to help.

RoadToad

--------------

Old June 18th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

No Joke....Turn on air conditioner in Jeep and no cool air comes out
on all settings

Sam

Old June 19th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Sam,

You have to work with us a bit here, when you turn the fan on does air
come out? Does the compressor come on? (big cylindrical thing with a
couple of fat hoses, about 2" going to it, when the AC is on the center
of the pulley should be turning, when it's off the center should be
still). If it does come on does it stay on or does it switch on and
then switch off after a minute?

Jeff DeWitt

Old June 19th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Old June 19th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Chances are you can temporarily restore performance by putting a can of
refrigerant in it. You can buy R134a in 13 oz. cans, and a "recharging
kit", which consists of a hose, can tap, low side coupler and gauge, at most
local auto parts stores. This should set you back about $30.00. Follow the
directions, and you should be blowing cold air momentarily.

As Bill said, there is a leak, and no fix is to be considered permanent,
until that leak is fixed. But this might get you through the season.

Earle

Old July 8th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
sam owens

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 02:47:43 GMT, Jeff DeWitt >
wrote:

>Sam,
>
>You have to work with us a bit here, when you turn the fan on does air
>come out? Does the compressor come on? (big cylindrical thing with a
>couple of fat hoses, about 2" going to it, when the AC is on the center
>of the pulley should be turning, when it's off the center should be
>still). If it does come on does it stay on or does it switch on and
>then switch off after a minute?
>
>Jeff DeWitt

Sorry Jeff I hope your still out there. Yes air comes out.The
compressor seems to come on. The pulley is turning and the center
turns sometimes. The compressor makes an audible click and the center
stops and starts.

Hope this helps and Thanks.

Sam

What kind of oil to use for 1994 Jeep Cherokee? New Old Jeep Owner Jeep 10 March 4th 06 03:03 PM
Jeep Cherokee ABS problem Peter Jeep 26 February 4th 06 04:08 AM
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SE Straight V6 4.0L 4x4 gor595gee Jeep 13 June 30th 05 02:43 AM
'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Air Conditioning (a/c) Trouble dval43 Chrysler 0 May 27th 05 12:59 AM
1999 jeep cherokee sport PAUL KRAUSE 4x4 1 October 20th 04 01:02 PM