Replacing my '94 325i

Old July 21st 05, 09:36 PM
J Strickland

Default Replacing my '94 325i

Thanks to an old lady in double-knit, lime-colored pants, it looks like my
325i has met with an early demise. It seems that old people in double knit
have not mastered left turns when other cars are approaching, this seems
strange since they have had so much practice. At first glance, it looks like
my car should have survived, but the body shop guy is telling me that he
thinks the insruance company is going to total it. It's a sad day.

I'm probably going to be getting another BMW, I'm leaning toward the '97
328, or a similar vintage 5 Series.

My trouble is, I know the M50 motor used in my 325 is rock solid, and I
assume the 328 also takes the same motor. The 5 Series gets a V8, that I
have heard is troublesome, and drinks way more gas.

If I was going to be happy with a 328, would I also be happy with a 528 that
gets the same engine? I know the 2.8L motor only has one more horse than my
2.5L, but it has significantly more torque, and the HP comes at a lower RPM.
I'm thinking that the heavier 5 Series with more torque will feel much the
same as my lighter 3 Series with less torque. Is that the right way to look
at this?

In all likelihood, I'll be getting another 3, and probably a 328, either a 4
door or a convertable. When looking at the 5 Series, the discussions around
here lead me to believe that I should get the I6 and stay away from the V8,
is that right?

Old July 22nd 05, 02:36 PM
Ottar Holstad

> If I was going to be happy with a 328, would I also be happy with a 528
> that gets the same engine? I know the 2.8L motor only has one more horse
> than my 2.5L, but it has significantly more torque, and the HP comes at a
> lower RPM.

That 2.8 engine produced 217HP in a test-rig I read about in a german
car-mag. There is (or used to be) a treshold at 195HP (?) in Germany for
some kind of tax, which sometimes made car-manufacturers downgrade their
numbers...

Old July 23rd 05, 04:27 PM
filip

"J Strickland" > wrote in message
> Thanks to an old lady in double-knit, lime-colored pants, it looks like my
> 325i has met with an early demise. It seems that old people in double knit
> have not mastered left turns when other cars are approaching, this seems
> strange since they have had so much practice. At first glance, it looks

like
> my car should have survived, but the body shop guy is telling me that he
> thinks the insruance company is going to total it. It's a sad day.
>
> I'm probably going to be getting another BMW, I'm leaning toward the '97
> 328, or a similar vintage 5 Series.
>
> My trouble is, I know the M50 motor used in my 325 is rock solid, and I
> assume the 328 also takes the same motor. The 5 Series gets a V8, that I
> have heard is troublesome, and drinks way more gas.
>
> If I was going to be happy with a 328, would I also be happy with a 528

that
> gets the same engine? I know the 2.8L motor only has one more horse than

my
> 2.5L, but it has significantly more torque, and the HP comes at a lower

RPM.
> I'm thinking that the heavier 5 Series with more torque will feel much the
> same as my lighter 3 Series with less torque. Is that the right way to

look
> at this?
>
> In all likelihood, I'll be getting another 3, and probably a 328, either a

4
> door or a convertable. When looking at the 5 Series, the discussions

around
> here lead me to believe that I should get the I6 and stay away from the

V8,
> is that right?

first of all, the 2.8l engine is much better than the 2.5l despite the "only
one horse extra". torque is much better, more spreadežd, and of course, more
useful, and the engine's reliability is...well...the engine is much more
reliable. definitely take the 2.8 before the 2.5
the 5-er will be running much smoother and more easily with that one extra
horse.....

and, talking about the v8...well, I don't know if you should stay away from
it, but the fact is....the most steadiest and most calmest engines are the
inline 6, boxer 6 and the V12. So, any other engine may feel a bit shaky,
but it's how you like it. I prefer the inline 6, 2.5 24v best imho, and a
whole lot of people say best for it. I haven't tried the m3 inline 6, so I
can't say anything about that.

Old July 24th 05, 03:30 PM
Malt_Hound

J Strickland wrote:
> Thanks to an old lady in double-knit, lime-colored pants, it looks like my
> 325i has met with an early demise. It seems that old people in double knit
> have not mastered left turns when other cars are approaching, this seems
> strange since they have had so much practice. At first glance, it looks like
> my car should have survived, but the body shop guy is telling me that he
> thinks the insruance company is going to total it. It's a sad day.
>
> I'm probably going to be getting another BMW, I'm leaning toward the '97
> 328, or a similar vintage 5 Series.
>
> My trouble is, I know the M50 motor used in my 325 is rock solid, and I
> assume the 328 also takes the same motor. The 5 Series gets a V8, that I
> have heard is troublesome, and drinks way more gas.
>
> If I was going to be happy with a 328, would I also be happy with a 528 that
> gets the same engine? I know the 2.8L motor only has one more horse than my
> 2.5L, but it has significantly more torque, and the HP comes at a lower RPM.
> I'm thinking that the heavier 5 Series with more torque will feel much the
> same as my lighter 3 Series with less torque. Is that the right way to look
> at this?
>
> In all likelihood, I'll be getting another 3, and probably a 328, either a 4
> door or a convertable. When looking at the 5 Series, the discussions around
> here lead me to believe that I should get the I6 and stay away from the V8,
> is that right?

Jeff,

Very sorry to hear of the demise of your car. I know you were attached
to it. I don't know if you knew this (previously) but insurance stats
show that your exact situation (one car making and improper left turn)
is the very one involved in the most accidents.

My advice is to find a 328i 5 speed, 4 door. There are plenty of them
out there and if you are willing to do some leg-work you can find one
that has been well cared for, has low mileage and at a reasonable price.

If I were going to replace my '95 325i right now, it is the exact car
that I would be looking for too. I have the 2.8 double vanos engine in
my Z3 and I can tell you that it is a significant improvement over the
single vanos 2.5

Good Luck,
-Fred W
Old July 25th 05, 05:30 PM
J Strickland

"Malt_Hound" > wrote in message
>J Strickland wrote:
>> Thanks to an old lady in double-knit, lime-colored pants, it looks like
>> my 325i has met with an early demise. It seems that old people in double
>> knit have not mastered left turns when other cars are approaching, this
>> seems strange since they have had so much practice. At first glance, it
>> looks like my car should have survived, but the body shop guy is telling
>> me that he thinks the insruance company is going to total it. It's a sad
>> day.
>>
>> I'm probably going to be getting another BMW, I'm leaning toward the '97
>> 328, or a similar vintage 5 Series.
>>
>> My trouble is, I know the M50 motor used in my 325 is rock solid, and I
>> assume the 328 also takes the same motor. The 5 Series gets a V8, that I
>> have heard is troublesome, and drinks way more gas.
>>
>> If I was going to be happy with a 328, would I also be happy with a 528
>> that gets the same engine? I know the 2.8L motor only has one more horse
>> than my 2.5L, but it has significantly more torque, and the HP comes at a
>> lower RPM. I'm thinking that the heavier 5 Series with more torque will
>> feel much the same as my lighter 3 Series with less torque. Is that the
>> right way to look at this?
>>
>> In all likelihood, I'll be getting another 3, and probably a 328, either
>> a 4 door or a convertable. When looking at the 5 Series, the discussions
>> around here lead me to believe that I should get the I6 and stay away
>> from the V8, is that right?

> Jeff,
>
> Very sorry to hear of the demise of your car. I know you were attached to
> it. I don't know if you knew this (previously) but insurance stats show
> that your exact situation (one car making and improper left turn) is the
> very one involved in the most accidents.
>
> My advice is to find a 328i 5 speed, 4 door. There are plenty of them out
> there and if you are willing to do some leg-work you can find one that has
> been well cared for, has low mileage and at a reasonable price.
>
> If I were going to replace my '95 325i right now, it is the exact car that
> I would be looking for too. I have the 2.8 double vanos engine in my Z3
> and I can tell you that it is a significant improvement over the single
> vanos 2.5
>
> Good Luck,
> -Fred W

Thanks Fred, that's what I needed to know. I have found a '96 328i, 5 spd
that I think will turn out to be an OK car. The major drawback being that
it's black, and where I live black is a very difficult color to have. When
one buys used cars on The Cheap, then one can't alwasy be picky about color.
;-) I haven't actually been to see the car yet, but it takes a nice picture.
I'm waiting on the insurance company to tell me that my car is totalled
before I drive 50+ miles one way to look at a car.

One other thing I was asking is if the 528 will suit me. I think that the
528 will constrain me to the automatic, but I don't know that for sure. I
was wondering if the 528 is gutless, or if it performs on par with the 325.
The 5 weighs more than the 3, but the 2.8 motor is stronger than the 2.5, so
on balance it seems the 528 should be roughly similar to my 325.

Old July 26th 05, 01:22 PM
Malt_Hound

J Strickland wrote:
> [...]

> Thanks Fred, that's what I needed to know. I have found a '96 328i, 5 spd
> that I think will turn out to be an OK car. The major drawback being that
> it's black, and where I live black is a very difficult color to have. When
> one buys used cars on The Cheap, then one can't alwasy be picky about color.
> ;-) I haven't actually been to see the car yet, but it takes a nice picture.
> I'm waiting on the insurance company to tell me that my car is totalled
> before I drive 50+ miles one way to look at a car.
>
> One other thing I was asking is if the 528 will suit me. I think that the
> 528 will constrain me to the automatic, but I don't know that for sure. I
> was wondering if the 528 is gutless, or if it performs on par with the 325.
> The 5 weighs more than the 3, but the 2.8 motor is stronger than the 2.5, so
> on balance it seems the 528 should be roughly similar to my 325.

WRT the black car, what color is the interior? That is really more
important to the temperature/comfort than the exterior. The only
downside to a black exterior is it's tough to keep it looking nice, but
the black leather is rough to sit in after it's been in an open parking
lot in the mid-day sun. I know this because my 540i is black/black.

As far as a 5'er vs 3'er, you should definitely drive one to answer your
question for sure. Yes, the extra grunt of the 2.8 will make the
acceleration of a 5'er similar to that of your old 325, *but* it won't
help the handling department and that (to me) is the bigger difference
from 3 to 5 series. The 3 series is far more nimble vs the 5, which is
more refined, especially at higher speeds. Driving a 3 series at over
100mph is exciting. Driving a 5'er at 100mph plus is, ho-hum...
controlled. Aside from passing all the other traffic at a rate of 40
mph you'd hardly know it. ;-)

Also, a 6 cylinder 5'er can be found with a 5 speed, and if you do you
may be able to get a much better deal, as most of them (in the US) ae
fitted with automatics or step-tronics, depending mostly on model year.
Beginning in MY 2000 most (all?) 5's seem to have steptronic.

So, in summary, I would consider what you will be doing with the car,
and what is the most important to you. Primarily highway, long distance
cruising? 5 series. Blasting down the canyon roads or stop-light
racing? 3 series.

Sounds like a fun decision either way...

-Fred W
Old July 26th 05, 07:53 PM
Jeff Strickland

"Malt_Hound" > wrote in message
> Jeff,
>
> WRT the black car, what color is the interior? That is really more
> important to the temperature/comfort than the exterior. The only downside
> to a black exterior is it's tough to keep it looking nice, but the black
> leather is rough to sit in after it's been in an open parking lot in the
> mid-day sun. I know this because my 540i is black/black.

I have black interior now with my white car, the concern I have is the black
exterior. It's a pain in the ass to keep clean, and looks bad when dirty.

Old July 26th 05, 09:22 PM
Malt_Hound

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> I have black interior now with my white car, the concern I have is the
> black exterior. It's a pain in the ass to keep clean, and looks bad when
> dirty.

Yep, gotta agree with you on that one. But it sure does look good when
it is clean. Mine stays in the garage most of the time, unless I'm
actually driving (or washing) it. ;-)

-Fred W

'95 325i is a little slow vs. '02 330 Tom Allen BMW 9 May 1st 05 12:42 PM
93 325i Erik BMW 7 January 2nd 05 05:13 PM
Replacing Blower motor resistor '90 325i conv Grizz BMW 1 December 2nd 04 09:39 PM
99 Caravan brake grinding noise even after replacing pads/disks jogret Dodge 4 October 7th 04 07:49 AM