Colorado bans radar jammers

Old June 12th 05, 08:41 PM
John F. Carr

In article >,
Scott en Aztlán <newsgroup> wrote:
>On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 17:42:26 GMT, laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE
> spake thus:
>
>>http://www.thedenverchannel.com/traf...14/detail.html
>>
>>Radar Jammers Will Soon Be Illegal In State

>No, dumbass - they are already illegal in ALL states.
>
>Just ask the FCC.

But Rocky Mountain Radar is still selling what they allege
to be jammers despite the FCC order to stop selling jammers.
A state law will make a difference.

--
John Carr )
Old June 12th 05, 11:58 PM
John F. Carr

In article om>,
Sherman L. Cahal > wrote:
>Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 17:42:26 GMT, laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE
>> > spake thus:
>>
>> >http://www.thedenverchannel.com/traf...14/detail.html
>> >
>> >Radar Jammers Will Soon Be Illegal In State

>> No, dumbass - they are already illegal in ALL states.
>>=20
>> Just ask the FCC.

>And its unenforceable.

It's enforceable, but unenforced. If there were ever
a real problem with jammers the FCC and law enforcement
agencies would crack down hard. Remember how much furor
there was over the strobes to make lights change? That
wasn't even a real problem but it got attention from
police and lawmakers.

--
John Carr )
Old June 13th 05, 12:25 AM
Jim Yanik

"C.H." > wrote in
news
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:19:44 +0000, Jim Yanik wrote:
>
> [tons of excuses for using an illegal hacked together radar jammer]
>
> I don't think you have the knowledge to understand that the oscillator is
> not the only component in a transmitter, that influences its freqency
> characteristics. I also don't think you ever have been in a situation
> where you had no radio contact to the tower.

This shows you have no knowledge of how Gunn oscillators work,or microwave
signal generation.

IOW,you don't know what you're talking about WRT radar guns or jammers.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old June 13th 05, 01:01 AM
C.H.

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 23:25:36 +0000, Jim Yanik wrote:

> "C.H." > wrote in
> news >
>> I don't think you have the knowledge to understand that the oscillator
>> is not the only component in a transmitter, that influences its freqency
>> characteristics. I also don't think you ever have been in a situation
>> where you had no radio contact to the tower.

> This shows you have no knowledge of how Gunn oscillators work,or microwave
> signal generation.

> IOW,you don't know what you're talking about WRT radar guns or jammers.

I think talking to you is pointless. You think you know everything and
that badmouthing someone else makes you look better. If you don't
understand that there is more to building a transmitter than buying an off
the shelf oscillator and hacking together the rest of the unit, you better
keep your hands of buidling high frequency electronics. You could get hurt.

Chris
Old June 13th 05, 01:46 AM
Pat O'Connell

Dave wrote:
>>>Not at all. If you really needed the advisory sign, chances are you
>>>wouldn't have lived long enough to see it.

>> Whatever.
>>
>> But you can no longer claim that "nobody has responded with a
>> reason..."
>>

> Nobody has responded with a valid reason.

When your car is wrapped around a guardrail/light post/pillar/whatever
after ignoring the advisory speed limit because you can't tell how fast
you're going, I'm sure you'll be able to think of a reason.

--
Pat O'Connell
[note munged EMail address]
Old June 13th 05, 04:45 AM
william lynch

Pat O'Connell wrote:

>>> Whatever.
>>>
>>> But you can no longer claim that "nobody has responded with a
>>> reason..."

>> Nobody has responded with a valid reason.

> When your car is wrapped around a guardrail/light post/pillar/whatever
> after ignoring the advisory speed limit because you can't tell how fast
> you're going, I'm sure you'll be able to think of a reason.

I doubt it. If he doesn't believe that speed kills then he
probably doesn't believe in seat belts, either.
Old June 13th 05, 04:55 AM
Arif Khokar

Pat O'Connell wrote:

> When your car is wrapped around a guardrail/light post/pillar/whatever
> after ignoring the advisory speed limit because you can't tell how fast
> you're going, I'm sure you'll be able to think of a reason.

A good driver knows how fast he's able to take a curve without the need
of an advisory limit. All he needs to know is that there's a curve
ahead and that it is constant radius. If it isn't contant radius, then
a warning sign should be posted.

The last thing I'll look at while in a curve is what my speedometer says.
Old June 13th 05, 05:02 AM
Pat O'Connell

Arif Khokar wrote:

> Pat O'Connell wrote:
>
>> When your car is wrapped around a guardrail/light post/pillar/whatever
>> after ignoring the advisory speed limit because you can't tell how fast
>> you're going, I'm sure you'll be able to think of a reason.

> A good driver knows how fast he's able to take a curve without the need
> of an advisory limit. All he needs to know is that there's a curve
> ahead and that it is constant radius.

AFAIK ramps are never marked as "constant radius."

> If it isn't contant radius, then
> a warning sign should be posted.

And so they are.

> The last thing I'll look at while in a curve is what my speedometer says.

It's your funeral.

Old June 13th 05, 05:12 AM
Arif Khokar

Pat O'Connell wrote:

> Arif Khokar wrote:

>> A good driver knows how fast he's able to take a curve without the
>> need of an advisory limit. All he needs to know is that there's a
>> curve ahead and that it is constant radius.

> AFAIK ramps are never marked as "constant radius."

They don't have to be marked constant radius. Non-constant radius
curves on ramps and highways are not frequently encountered and should
be noted through yellow diamond signage.

>> The last thing I'll look at while in a curve is what my speedometer says.

> It's your funeral.

So you're saying that I should ignore what's ahead of me in the curve as
well as not pay attention to traffic on the road I'm planning to merge
on and just look at my speedometer then? My experience tells me
otherwise. I've also read that braking while in a curve is a good way
to lose control one's vehicle. IOW, one should slow down before
actually getting into the curve.

When I'm paying attention to the road, I adjust my speed as appropriate
without the assistance of the speedometer (which I really only look at
when my RD goes off).
Old June 13th 05, 06:51 AM
Pat O'Connell

Arif Khokar wrote:

> Pat O'Connell wrote:
>
>> Arif Khokar wrote:

>>> A good driver knows how fast he's able to take a curve without the
>>> need of an advisory limit. All he needs to know is that there's a
>>> curve ahead and that it is constant radius.

>> AFAIK ramps are never marked as "constant radius."

> They don't have to be marked constant radius. Non-constant radius
> curves on ramps and highways are not frequently encountered and should
> be noted through yellow diamond signage.

Is this the standard "curve" sign or something else I haven't seen?

>>> The last thing I'll look at while in a curve is what my speedometer says.

>> It's your funeral.

> So you're saying that I should ignore what's ahead of me in the curve as
> well as not pay attention to traffic on the road I'm planning to merge
> on and just look at my speedometer then? My experience tells me
> otherwise. I've also read that braking while in a curve is a good way
> to lose control one's vehicle. IOW, one should slow down before
> actually getting into the curve.

That's why the warning signs are always posted well ahead of the actual
curve, you know. That is of course where you should be slowing down, but
you know that apparently.

Usually the posted recommended speed limits are for high vehicles like
semis and RVs, but if you see a warning sign ahead of a curve, you'd
probably to well to heed it until you've driven the road enough to know
what speed you can actually take the curve.

At least one exit ramp in the Las Vegas area (where I live) is posted
for the exact speed that pickup trucks (which is what I own) and most
cars should be driving on that ramp. Maybe a sports car can take it
faster, but it's a heavy traffic ramp between two freeways and lots of
people slow down to the recommended speed.