Gas mileage varies with brand of gas?

Old January 31st 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
slim

Default Gas mileage varies with brand of gas?

Am I crazy or does the brand of gas really make a difference in MPG?

Over the last year, I kept track of my mileage according to brand of
gas used. Always regular.

I would fill up a near-empty tank with a brand ,run untill almost
empty, note mileage and fill with a different brand. Some of my friends
say "gas is gas" but I have to say that Gulf gets me the best mileage.

My 96 Honda DX coupe gets 22-23 overall (mostly city) with Gulf, 20-22
with Mobil and 19-21 with Hess

Is there a reason for that? Does gas vary that much from brand to brand?

I am not trolling or looking to start a war.

Thanks in advance.

--
- Slim

Old January 31st 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gohan Ryu[_10_]

I get the best mileage using Chevron in my 96 Prelude. They use the
highest quality fuel additives, which definitely affects the quality of
the gas and your mileage. BMW, General Motors, Honda and Toyota got
together and set a standard for what can be called "TOP TIER Gasoline".
Chevron with Techron was already within that standard.

--
Gohan Ryu
Gohan Ryu's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=250018

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old January 31st 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
JP[_7_]

Years ago I would occasionally fill up at a Union 76 station. Their gas was
about 10% higher priced than the Arco, but I got about 10% better gas
mileage using the Union gasoline. More energy per gallon, but I never knew
why.

Old January 31st 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
slim

On 2007-01-31 16:05:58 -0500, Gohan Ryu
> said:

> I get the best mileage using Chevron in my 96 Prelude. They use the
> highest quality fuel additives, which definitely affects the quality of
> the gas and your mileage. BMW, General Motors, Honda and Toyota got
> together and set a standard for what can be called "TOP TIER Gasoline".
> Chevron with Techron was already within that standard.

Thanks for that info.

Mobil and Hess are right near me, but what got me started was big
improvement I got with Gulf (3-4 mpg better) and I thought all regular
gas (at least from the big oilcos) was basically the same.

--
- Slim

Old January 31st 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 21:43:49 GMT, JP > wrote:

>Years ago I would occasionally fill up at a Union 76 station. Their gas was
>about 10% higher priced than the Arco, but I got about 10% better gas
>mileage using the Union gasoline. More energy per gallon, but I never knew
>why.

placebo effect

Old January 31st 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
SMS

slim wrote:

> Am I crazy or does the brand of gas really make a difference in MPG?
>
> Over the last year, I kept track of my mileage according to brand of gas
> used. Always regular.
>
> I would fill up a near-empty tank with a brand ,run untill almost empty,
> note mileage and fill with a different brand. Some of my friends say
> "gas is gas" but I have to say that Gulf gets me the best mileage.
>
> My 96 Honda DX coupe gets 22-23 overall (mostly city) with Gulf, 20-22
> with Mobil and 19-21 with Hess

That's way too close to draw any conclusions from. The pump at one
station may be cutting off 1/4-1/3 gallon different than at another station.

It is true that the more ethanol in the gasoline, the poorer the
mileage, and some of the lower end gasolines end up with more ethanol
mixed in, even though it's still less than the legal limit.
Old February 1st 07, 06:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Kevin McMurtrie

In article >,
slim > wrote:

> Am I crazy or does the brand of gas really make a difference in MPG?
>
> Over the last year, I kept track of my mileage according to brand of
> gas used. Always regular.
>
> I would fill up a near-empty tank with a brand ,run untill almost
> empty, note mileage and fill with a different brand. Some of my friends
> say "gas is gas" but I have to say that Gulf gets me the best mileage.
>
> My 96 Honda DX coupe gets 22-23 overall (mostly city) with Gulf, 20-22
> with Mobil and 19-21 with Hess
>
> Is there a reason for that? Does gas vary that much from brand to brand?
>
> I am not trolling or looking to start a war.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Some lean-burn or high compression engines can be picky about the gas.
The 96 DX has a very basic engine so you're not seeing anything
significant.
Old February 1st 07, 12:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
pj

"SMS" > wrote in message
> slim wrote:
>>
>> Am I crazy or does the brand of gas really make a difference in MPG?
>>
>> Over the last year, I kept track of my mileage according to brand of gas
>> used. Always regular.
>>
>> I would fill up a near-empty tank with a brand ,run untill almost empty,
>> note mileage and fill with a different brand. Some of my friends say "gas
>> is gas" but I have to say that Gulf gets me the best mileage.
>>
>> My 96 Honda DX coupe gets 22-23 overall (mostly city) with Gulf, 20-22
>> with Mobil and 19-21 with Hess

> That's way too close to draw any conclusions from. The pump at one station
> may be cutting off 1/4-1/3 gallon different than at another station.
>
> It is true that the more ethanol in the gasoline, the poorer the mileage,
> and some of the lower end gasolines end up with more ethanol mixed in,
> even though it's still less than the legal limit.

SMS is correct, ethanol contains less energy than gasoline so if you are
using gasahol, you have to expect somewhat lower mileage. The Mobile
station near me is selling gasohol with 10% ethanol and I have seen a
noticable decline in how far I can go on a tank of gas when I fill up there.
Fortunately, that station is usually as cheap as Walmart or anyone else in
the area. On the plus side, each gallon of ethanol in the gasoline is about
0.9 gallons of gasoline we don't have to buy from the Mid East.

Old February 1st 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

On Jan 31, 1:58 pm, slim > wrote:
> Am I crazy or does the brand of gas really make a difference in MPG?
>
> Over the last year, I kept track of my mileage according to brand of
> gas used. Always regular.
>
> I would fill up a near-empty tank with a brand ,run untill almost
> empty, note mileage and fill with a different brand. Some of my friends
> say "gas is gas" but I have to say that Gulf gets me the best mileage.
>
> My 96 Honda DX coupe gets 22-23 overall (mostly city) with Gulf, 20-22
> with Mobil and 19-21 with Hess
>
> Is there a reason for that? Does gas vary that much from brand to brand?
>
> I am not trolling or looking to start a war.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> - Slim

They do make a difference. But it can also vary from station to
station,
and also from season to season, as the blends change.
My accord runs better on some brands than others, so I can easily
see mpg being effected. Ethenol gives less energy than gas per
amount also.. But all our fuels here have it at 10%..
We have many brands here, and mine will run on all of them without
pinging. But...I can tell small differences in the feel, pickup,
smoothness,
etc.. IE: Mine runs better on shell, chevron, or texaco, than it does
on
Valero, or diamond shamrock, etc.. I like chevon and texaco cuz
some techron is added. But it runs good on shell too, and might
possibly get the best mpg on shell. It's real close, and hard to
call on the top three choices. But if I go from say chevron to
valero, I can *feel* the difference in the way the car runs.
Slightly less smooth..So I've been trying to stick to the first
three. If fuel injected, using a gas with techron is a real good
idea..Techron is good stuff, and actually does work to clean out
that carbon crud.
MK

Old February 1st 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

pj wrote:
> "SMS" > wrote in message
>> slim wrote:
>>> Am I crazy or does the brand of gas really make a difference in MPG?
>>>
>>> Over the last year, I kept track of my mileage according to brand of gas
>>> used. Always regular.
>>>
>>> I would fill up a near-empty tank with a brand ,run untill almost empty,
>>> note mileage and fill with a different brand. Some of my friends say "gas
>>> is gas" but I have to say that Gulf gets me the best mileage.
>>>
>>> My 96 Honda DX coupe gets 22-23 overall (mostly city) with Gulf, 20-22
>>> with Mobil and 19-21 with Hess

>> That's way too close to draw any conclusions from. The pump at one station
>> may be cutting off 1/4-1/3 gallon different than at another station.
>>
>> It is true that the more ethanol in the gasoline, the poorer the mileage,
>> and some of the lower end gasolines end up with more ethanol mixed in,
>> even though it's still less than the legal limit.

> SMS is correct, ethanol contains less energy than gasoline so if you are
> using gasahol, you have to expect somewhat lower mileage. The Mobile
> station near me is selling gasohol with 10% ethanol and I have seen a
> noticable decline in how far I can go on a tank of gas when I fill up there.
> Fortunately, that station is usually as cheap as Walmart or anyone else in
> the area. On the plus side, each gallon of ethanol in the gasoline is about
> 0.9 gallons of gasoline we don't have to buy from the Mid East.

yeah, but it takes more fuel to make the ethanol than it yields, once
you take the agricultural side of the equation into account.
unfortunate though it may be, buying gas from rag heads is a good thing.
we simply need to buy less of it, not put lipstick on the backdoor
farming subsidy pig and call it "domestic energy". and if we were
really serious about foreign oil, we'd tax suv's to blazes and stop
using "crash testing" as the excuse to make cars 50% heavier than they
need to be, thereby ruining their gas efficiency. ban "oxygenated"
fuels and encourage more diesels too.