Towing rating of 99 GC Sport

Old August 3rd 04, 03:29 PM

Default Towing rating of 99 GC Sport

I am considering buying a small pop up camper to pull behind my 99 Grand
Caravan Sport. I am thinking this thing will weigh between 1300 to 2000 lbs.
with a tounge weight of between 130lbs and 225 lbs.
Does anyone know the towing cap of this van, did it come with a tran cooler?
Where I could buy a cooler? Any thoughts, recommendations? Don't laugh here
but I do have 94, 000 miles on it but I try to take care of it. By the way I
have gotten over 200K miles on my 3 previous GC vans with only one of them
having to have a transmission, my 93. They still looked like new when I sold
them, and I pulled a 17 foot ski boat with my 4 cylinder 89 Caravan, never
had a problem.

Jeff York
99 CG Sport
99 Durango just sold it, gas is just to expensive
01 PT Cruiser- custom paint wheels
85 Dodge 600 CS 2.2 Turbo II convertible ( intercooler)
02 KR-2 Airplane with 2.4 Porsche engine

Old August 16th 04, 04:03 PM
Steph

> wrote in :

> I am considering buying a small pop up camper to pull behind my 99
> Grand Caravan Sport. I am thinking this thing will weigh between 1300
> to 2000 lbs. with a tounge weight of between 130lbs and 225 lbs.
> Does anyone know the towing cap of this van, did it come with a tran
> cooler? Where I could buy a cooler? Any thoughts, recommendations?
> Don't laugh here but I do have 94, 000 miles on it but I try to take
> care of it. By the way I have gotten over 200K miles on my 3 previous
> GC vans with only one of them having to have a transmission, my 93.
> They still looked like new when I sold them, and I pulled a 17 foot
> ski boat with my 4 cylinder 89 Caravan, never had a problem.
>
> Jeff York
> 99 CG Sport
> 99 Durango just sold it, gas is just to expensive
> 01 PT Cruiser- custom paint wheels
> 85 Dodge 600 CS 2.2 Turbo II convertible ( intercooler)
> 02 KR-2 Airplane with 2.4 Porsche engine

Jeff the tow rating on vehicles without "Factory Tow group" package are
rated for 2000 lbs maximum. You should assume to normally carry 75% of
that for a added safety margin. Obviously other factors say whether that
75% rule is too stringent or lenient; quality of roads, elevation,
traffic, current state of brakes, tire pressure, etc. I just mention it
as a fairly well accepted GUIDELINE.

Many states have a maximum weight allowed for a tailer without brakes;
you are going to want to add electric brakes and a controller to your GC
either way. We tow a 10' popup that weighs in at 1650 loaded (and 1460
dry) with our 3.8L GC -- but the 2002 GC has redsigned brakes and much
more stopping power than our previous 1997 GC had.

As for the differences between tow group package equipped and not, it is
larger capacity regulator, transmission cooler, bigger battery, and some
pre-wiring in the rear end mostly; all things that can be fairly easily
added.

The tow rating with the package is 3500 on pre-2002 models and 3800 on
the 2002. We previously had a 1997 GC and towed a larger pop-up with
surge brakes that weighed over 2200 lbs --- I would not recommend it.

Our ~600 lb pop-up works nicely for us with 2 adults, 2 kids and all
that goes with for a week of camping, even with the 10,000 foot passes
we navigate.

--
Stephen, Wife, Daughter, Son, and in-laws
San Diego, CA

Old August 16th 04, 04:03 PM
Steph

Old August 16th 04, 08:20 PM

Steph,

Thanks for facts and figures and advise. I can see making sure brakes are up
to the task and adding the trany cooler.

Not sure if it matters now as we have went from getting a pop up to buying a
Class c motor home and possibly towing the PT behind it in the case where we
would feel the need. My kids have all but talked me into selling my airplane
to finance motor home.

Do you know anyone interested in trading a nice Class C motor home for a
really sweet show quality KR-2 airplane?
Jeff
. ..

Old August 16th 04, 08:20 PM

Steph,

Thanks for facts and figures and advise. I can see making sure brakes are up
to the task and adding the trany cooler.

Not sure if it matters now as we have went from getting a pop up to buying a
Class c motor home and possibly towing the PT behind it in the case where we
would feel the need. My kids have all but talked me into selling my airplane
to finance motor home.

Do you know anyone interested in trading a nice Class C motor home for a
really sweet show quality KR-2 airplane?
Jeff
. ..