1987 Grand Marquis idle

Old March 9th 05, 08:11 PM

Default 1987 Grand Marquis idle

Hello,my 87 gran Marquis has kind of a srange idle problem. Hot or
cold, when I start it up, for the first 3-5 min or so, the idle will go
from normal to almost a stall and back to normal again, over and over
for about 5 min and then idle perfect. Like i say, doesnt matter if the
engine is hot or cold, and does this every time I start it up. Any help
would be great, and thanks.Bill

Old March 10th 05, 11:36 PM

lugnut wrote:
> On 9 Mar 2005 12:11:13 -0800, "
> > wrote:
>
> >Hello,my 87 gran Marquis has kind of a srange idle problem. Hot or
> >cold, when I start it up, for the first 3-5 min or so, the idle will

go
> >from normal to almost a stall and back to normal again, over and

over
> >for about 5 min and then idle perfect. Like i say, doesnt matter if

the
> >engine is hot or cold, and does this every time I start it up. Any

help
> >would be great, and thanks.Bill

> IMHO, based on a bit of experience and nothing more, is a
> dirty ISC (idle speed control) solenoid. This is common.
> Many times, they can be removed and cleaned which may take
> some time soaking in a solvent for the purpose. Most of the
> time, soaking overnight will do the job. You can also get a
> replacement for $50-100USD depending on how particuklar you
> ar about what kind and where you get your parts. I am
> assuming you 5.0L EFI engine. If you have the 5.8L engine
> with the carb, the whole game is different.

Yes, that is correct,,5.0 engine. I will try what you said. Is that
the unit just in back of were the air intake and butterfly is, and
looks like a 4 inch kind of round metal cylinder with a couple wires
going in threw the bottom of it? Thanks so much,, Bill

Old March 19th 05, 12:24 AM

> lugnut wrote:
> > On 10 Mar 2005 15:36:07 -0800, "
> > > wrote:

> or

> will
> > >go

and
> > >over

matter
> if
> > >the

> Any
> > >help

> > >Yes, that is correct,,5.0 engine. I will try what you said. Is

> that
> > >the unit just in back of were the air intake and butterfly is, and
> > >looks like a 4 inch kind of round metal cylinder with a couple

wires
> > >going in threw the bottom of it? Thanks so much,, Bill

> > That should be it. Hope it helps
> >
> > Lugnut

> Well, tried that and didnt help any, I also checked for any vac line
> leaks and didnt see any. Got me stumped. Any other ideas? Thanks

Bill

Found it...MAP..about drove me nuts cause it was testing as GOOD.